• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing New Hunting clothing stinks, literally

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
The current material manufacturers use in hunting clothing just stinks. I've done some research, and there are a lot of accounts of Under Armour et al just stinking even after washing. It's the polyester. They the odor causing bacteria bonds to the fibers and won't come out. If you read on fitness forums you'll find what I'm referring to.

I've washed in cold and hot water with no good results. I use unscented laundry detergent, and I have also added white vinegar and baking soda to the wash. No dice.

I have "cheap" under armour style shirts from Academy and Walmart, and I also have Under Armour brand shirts etc. No difference in smell. There is a difference in on-the-skin feel, but they all stink.

The only thing I have that doesn't stink as bad is Cabela's Microtex, but that stuff is way too hot as a shirt in Georgia for the first half to 2/3 of whitetail season.

Has anything come out lately that is better?

It's funny how people think the poly shirts keep you cool. I say BS. Come to Georgia in September and then we'll talk. The only thing that keeps you cool here is A/C until it actually cools off. There is no escaping humidity.

Matter of fact I have found that merino wool does a much better job regulating body temps than the poly. Poly shirts are almost like wearing a plastic bag. Merino wool is still too hot for Aug, Sept, and Oct here.

Cotton has it's ups and downs - definitely not a good base layer.

Just curious about other's experience with this, and if there is something else out there.

Thanks

I can only confirm that (in my opinion) that nasty chemical stink is one of the reasons UA is garbage.

About five years ago a board member here on the hide posted that a sudden and unexpected snowfall kept him in his house for a week at the same time perhaps he was having trouble with his home heat, so he layered up with his new Under Armor expecting to be fine. That turned out to be a mistake there was some kind of weird reaction between his skin and the base layer that nearly killed him.

I can only confirm that (in my opinion) that nasty chemical stink is one of the reasons UA is garbage.

About five years ago a board member here on the hide posted that a sudden and unexpected snowfall kept him in his house for a week at the same time perhaps he was having trouble with his home heat, so he layered up with his new Under Armor expecting to be fine. That turned out to be a mistake there was some kind of weird reaction between his skin and the base layer that nearly killed him.

Not only that, but under Armor is decidedly anti 2A. They'll never see a dime of mine. Same thing with Columbia Sportswear.

I've been using a set of the Killik brand camo gear in kryptex highlander patterns from sportsman warehouse, and so far so good. Good for warmer weathers and with layering, just fine in the winters here in WY. I haven't noticed any real funky smells yet...

Try washing by hand with all the tricks (lemon, viniger etc). My previous washer (front loader) was a bacterial mess. The kids would let towels sit for days and never vent the damn thing. All my poly shirts would smell ok out of the dryer, but after one hour of work they would smell like dog ass. I tried everything and finally got a new washer.

As for clothes, I wear Kuiu, never had an issue and it breathes very well. For base layer I use Patagonia Capilene

One of the issues is using a front load washer/dryer.
Leaving anything inside them is a recipe for by dogs ass smell.
Our old system, we would close the washer door after all loads. It developed mold and had to be cleaned often.
With our new system, we've kept the door cracked open after doing loads. Once the washer dries out, we shut the door all the way.
If your washer has a smell to it, there are products to get rid of it.
The smell in the washer could be part of the reason your shirts have issues.

BTW, I live in Florida so I have the same temperature and humidity issues as you.

First lite is the best merino base layer but can be fragile. The sitka with polygene works awesome for me just got back from a week hunt in the mountains wore the same base layer every day with no stink. Only took baby wipe showers. The sitka is tough as nails i though i would destroy the timberlines on dead fall and not one rip. UA sucks.

I have a top load washer, and I know it’s the fabric.

Once exposed to sunlight and on on the body it gets a weird smell. I’m going to slowly get rid of it and move to something else. It doesn’t breathe well either.

The merino wool I do have does a much better job at body temp regulation, but is too hot here for most of the season.

I have First Lite, Minus 33, and Core4element.

I may may look at Kuiu, but honestly stand hunting in Georgia doesn’t require the best mountain gear. In cold weather we need insulation more than anything because most of us will sit for 3 to 4 hours.

Anyone who supports hunting and joins 14 million like minded people in spending their time and money for the preservation and enjoyment of wildlife and wildlife habitat should boycott Under Armour. The combined forces of Ducks Unlimited, The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, The National Wild Turkey Foundation, SCI, Pittman Robertson, and many others combine to absolutely dwarf the conservation spending of all anti-hunting organizations combined, much less the 4,000 SJWs who signed the letter to UA.

First Light is my go to brand. KUIU is also a great choice. Besides making great gear they are ardent supporters of what we do.

Anyone who supports hunting and joins 14 million like minded people in spending their time and money for the preservation and enjoyment of wildlife and wildlife habitat should boycott Under Armour. The combined forces of Ducks Unlimited, The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, The National Wild Turkey Foundation, SCI, Pittman Robertson, and many others combine to absolutely dwarf the conservation spending of all anti-hunting organizations combined, much less the 4,000 SJWs who signed the letter to UA.

First Light is my go to brand. KUIU is also a great choice. Besides making great gear they are ardent supporters of what we do.

First lite and sitka both do KUIU not so much but they are selling there vias pattern to new balance so you can get NFL teams.

In the 1890's when the Army went to Cuba, PR, and the Philippines, they issued Tropical Wool. Can you imagine! In fact, I think Mr. Lincoln's army came through GA. wearing wool. Just stick to wool.

Wool. I have some really light 120 weight merino i can wear down to 50 and up to mid 80s. The short sleeve is great. I have first lite, icebreaker, old smartwool, would love to get more first lite someday.
I wore one wool short sleeve on a really hot and muggy backpacking trip. Was completely soaked in sweat when we got to the truck so took it off to dry off a bit. A couple hours later it passed the sniff test no problem.

Just hunt in the snow near treeline in CO, profuse sweating is less of an issue. Headed out in 6 days.....