• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Hunting Optic

Cookieman8

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 15, 2018
West Virginia
Getting ready to put another rifle together for this huntin season. Got a tikka t3x lite so we are trying to keep this as light as possible. Looking for an optic with illumination and possiby around the 16-20oz mark. I took a look at the Leupold vx3-hd/vx5-hd, and vortex razor lht hd and they are nice, but wanted to see if anyone else had a recomendation? Or if anyone can shed some light on one of the three I have in mind.

Appreciate it, Jordan

What are you trying to hunt, what cartridge, what time of day, and how far away?

Personally, I’d skip Leupold except in rare circumstances. I see really bad chromatic aberration in most of their scopes. I’d also skip anything SFP, except in rare circumstances (like a Marlin 336 in 30-30 that runs out of energy before leaving max point blank range for deer).

Reactions: Cookieman8
What are you trying to hunt, what cartridge, what time of day, and how far away?

Personally, I’d skip Leupold except in rare circumstances. I see really bad chromatic aberration in most of their scopes. I’d also skip anything SFP, except in rare circumstances (like a Marlin 336 in 30-30 that runs out of energy before leaving max point blank range for deer).
I mostly hunt the southern hill country in WV. THICK, steep, and dark timber. Most of our shots are under 200 yds with the occasional 400-500 yd shot in the northern part of the state. The rifle is a 20" barrel 6.5 creed being used on deer, hog, and possibly bear.

Reactions: gnochi
Yeah that’s far enough outside my area of expertise that I’m going to punt to someone else, but I’ll share some thoughts in the meantime.

FWIW the new Vortex LHT 4.5-22 is apparently kickass and I can’t wait for mine, but the field of view might not be good enough for up close and personal. If you’re serious about bear I probably wouldn’t go above 2 on the low end.

Any distant shots at twilight or dawn? If no, then the Razor 1-10 might be a good choice.

With 4-500yd being an option, if it’s ever windy in WV, I think you’ll want FFP, if for nothing else because leading will be much easier (read: ethical) at intermediate zooms.

I mostly hunt the southern hill country in WV. THICK, steep, and dark timber. Most of our shots are under 200 yds with the occasional 400-500 yd shot in the northern part of the state. The rifle is a 20" barrel 6.5 creed being used on deer, hog, and possibly bear.
The Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42 is a very nice scope and sits on a couple of my hunting rifles. It has illuminated reticle option. If you used Talley lightweight one piece mounts you'd probably still be around 20 ounces total with scope.

The Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42 is a very nice scope and sits on a couple of my hunting rifles. It has illuminated reticle option. If you used Talley lightweight one piece mounts you'd probably still be around 20 ounces total with scope.

I have a VX6 with a Firedot reticle, I really like the illuminated center dot at low power. I won't say that Leupold is the best when it comes to illuminated reticles, but if you go that route absolutely don't skip the illumination.

I liked the leupolds I got to look at, especially the vx5. Super clean and the cds seems awesome. Only question is it worth it over the vx3 hd?

I have a VX6 with a Firedot reticle, I really like the illuminated center dot at low power. I won't say that Leupold is the best when it comes to illuminated reticles, but if you go that route absolutely don't skip the illumination.
That fire dot is what caught my eye. Simple Duplex and center dot. I run a 1-8x on my 3 gun rig with a center dot and it helps tremendously in quick shots. I could see an advantage with that on a hunting rig too, especially in low light.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
I liked the leupolds I got to look at, especially the vx5. Super clean and the cds seems awesome. Only question is it worth it over the vx3 hd?
The upcharge for the vx5 is based on the tech. Vx5 has upgraded coatings and battery extending tech if you lay your rifle down for extended periods of time. If that's not worth the extra cash go with the 3 and call it a day.

I would get a capped windage scope as hunting and hiking threw off the windage which I would check before every shot but my hunting partner (not as firearm technical) had a hard time. I am thinking the Razor LHT may fit that bill as can adjust for elevation so a FFP or SFP really doesn't matter if using a laser rangefinder then dialing in elevation.