• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New Hunting Rifle Build

bool

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2020
Hey guys, I am planning out a new hunting build for this fall.
Here's what I have already decided:
-Rem 700 build chambered in 6.5x47 Lupua
Need Recommendations
- What 3-15 scope do you recommend (Under $1k)? I prefer the extra power, I know it isn't "needed". I might end up opting in for a classic 3-9
-I want a nice classic wood stock. I am a huge sucker for that classic bolt action hunting rifle look. What brands/models have you had luck with?
Thank you!

Reactions: acudaowner
You worried about weight?
What are you hunting?
Whats your expected shot distance?

Don't own one, but you might wanna look at the Brownell's MPO if you're good with FFP and 33 ounces. Tons of SFP stuff out there...no real preference for me, but you could look at Meopta. The MeoStar isn't exactly what you want, but it's close. The Optika6 in 2.5-15 or 3-18 would be a solid choice if the reticles/weight work for you. You might wanna hammer down your requirements and post up in the optics section.

No idea on the stock, let me know when you get an answer on that.

I have a Tract scope that I really like for $794. they have a t plex or BDC reticle.

tractoptics.com

The only wood aftermarket hunting stock I have tried was a Boyd’s laminate. It was ok, but your best bet would be to look for a take off Remington stock and have it bedded. Personally, while I like the look of wood I have to v blocks or a chassis.

Need Recommendations
- What 3-15 scope do you recommend (Under $1k)? I prefer the extra power, I know it isn't "needed". I might end up opting in for a classic 3-9
-I want a nice classic wood stock. I am a huge sucker for that classic bolt action hunting rifle look. What brands/models have you had luck with?
Thank you!
I have a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3 x 15 44 (gad, they way they name these things...sigh) and am very happy with it on a Rem 5R in .308 for a deer gun.

While Vortex shows it at 1,199 I think, you can get them all day long for under $1000.

E.g.

If you’re looking to save a little bit of weight and cash I really like the old 3-15 LH razors. They pop up used here and there.

For $1000.00 you can get a lot more scope than a 3-15.
I just finished building a hunting rifle and put a Zeiss V4 6-24-50 on it for around $850.00
Don't know about a wood stock, I put a Manners carbon on mine.

Reactions: YotaEer
Bushnell lrts was on sale... Midas Tac from Athlon would be a good choice too.

Would definitely give the new Vortex Razor LHT a look. Street price is right at $1k. Should be a great hunting scope. As for wood stocks, look at Boyd's and their stock builder. Can build out a ton of different styles and options, pretty reasonably priced too.

I've heard good things about the Cooper Firearms stocks.

The Tract Toric has been a good optic for me and would also recommend the Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 2.5-15x.

Need Recommendations
Thank you!

I recently used one of Stocky's Euro stocks with the bedding block. It works well, accuracy is great in my sample.

IMG_2174.jpg
IMG_2336.JPG
IMG_2371.JPG

I cruised by the Boyd’s stock configurator - 450-500 USD will get you what appears to be a pretty nice wood stock in walnut or maple w/ the LOP of your choice. That’s a “Platinum” model with pillars, laser engraved texturing, 12 3/4 LOP and either XX maple or Circassian walnut. Claro walnut will save you some cash, bring you in around 400 even.

Honestly, that’s pretty compelling to me. I damn near bought a Tikka just so I’d have something with a mag bolt face that I could through in said stock.

Do you have requirements for exposed MIL/MOA turrets on your hunting scope?

If yes, they come with careful consideration of where you will be hunting and brush and other items grabbing the dials. Locking dials may be a consideration.

The average range that you are comfortable ethically taking game animals?
Do you have experience with dialing data or using the reticle to hold on a target/animal? This is not holding 4" off the back with your horizontal line on your duplex reticle.

I would recommend that you define what you need the scope to do and then consider your budget and see what's available.

As for wooden stocks, I have not shot one in 5 or 6 years since putting my gun in a chassis. Game changer! I also recommend you look into the "budget" chassis.