• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing New hunting rifle idea

TeaRex

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2013
Denver, CO
I'm moving to Colorado and (hopefully) have some bigger game hunts in my future (elk). My current go-to rifle is a 6.5x55 that I absolutely love, but it weighs 15lb fully loaded. It's a bit much for a 145lb guy to hump up and down the hills all day.

I was considering a Tikka T3 Lite in .30-06, put it in a Manners Elite Hunter Chassis, pick up a new NF SHV 4-14x56 scope, and throw on my newly acquired Thunderbeast 30-ps.... Anything in that y'all would do different?

I'm hoping the rifle still feels balanced with the can in the front, I believe the factory Tikka barrel is pretty thin, so hopefully it won't be a problem.

I'm hoping the final product will be in the 8-9 lbs. range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scope might be a touch big....the 56mm part I mean.

My go to hunting rifle (for packing) is a Remington 700 Mountain in 280 with a Redfield 2-7x33 on top....which to me is a perfect combo of weight, power, and overall size. Although this year I have a Model 7 Kevlar in 308 with a straight 6x on that is shorter and maybe a bit lighter. I don't worry about the weight or size of my rifles when I'm not in the mountains my predator rigs are between 12 and 17 pounds but I'm not humping those up to 10,000 feet every day either.

I think the Tikka in -06 will be a great Elk rifle. For Mountain hunting you will not need so much mag, unless you plan on going up to Wyo or maybe some canyon hunting. The Manners will be an excellent choice, but not really necessary. You can slap a NF on the Tikka and go for it. Mine is the Tikka Stainless in -06 topped with a simple 2-7 Leupold VX-r ( I like the dot in the bush).

Here is a thread with many Tikka, take a look at Mackays. His wears a 2.5-10x24 NF and a vtac sling. Keeps the rifle light and close to the body.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...on-rifles/151305-tikka-t3-picture-thread.html

Cans and all that stuff are nice, but once the elk is down, you gotta hump it out. I would keep the rifle streamline as possible.

Here is a pic of mine, I kinda followed suit with Mackay with the sling. Mine only weighs 7.25 lbs loaded.

tikka-06-jpg.55829

As was mentioned ref the scope, unless the eyeballs need the help I'd stick with one of the smaller but high quality variables in the 2.5-10 range. Although some hate on them frequently here I must say the Leupold Firedot 4-12 my dad recently put on his 22-250 is pretty good. It doesn't have the markings for "drop" as some scopes but its clear, bright and does quite well. A big scope on that Tikka would be kinda odd, I try to keep the scopes on the compact side on mine. I have the vortex 2.5-10pst on my 243 and its just about perfectly balanced.

56mm objective on a mountain hunting rifle = completely unnecessary height over bore, scope size and weight, and lack of return in cost of any measurable and usable advantage IMHO. 40mm or 50mm at largest should do anything you need and will make a better pointing rifle for quick shooting. 4.5-14 is a fine magnification range that can be found in optics with little to no size or weight increase from the 3-9/10 range scopes. The extra magnification can come in handy for picking out vitals through brush/cover. It will not make you a better shot, only allow the target to be seen closer/clearer. 3-10 works just fine for most cases inside of 300 yards for me.

Last edited: