• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Hunting rifle project

Forrest84

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Cutt n Shoot, TX
Been brain storming on how to do my semi dedicated rifle for hunting. 90% of its life will be smoking your run of the mill game in Texas as a 6.5 lapua since I’m fully stocked on everything I need to load for it and 500 rounds of lapua brass. but I will have the opertunity to get in some elk action starting next season and I really don’t want to fool with anymore rifles and glass just to acomidate a couple hunts over the next few years.
Right now I’m thinking of doing a 300wsm as the backup, from what I can gather I “should” be able to run 180’s at 2950 to 3050ish and 190’s just behind that before I’ve maxed out my short action geometry.
Base build is as follows…
Manners LRH
Impact or Antix short action. (Open to others but leaning to impact)
Proof carbon 22” so I can run suppressed comfortably.
Not decided on glass yet but I’ll probubly find a used vortex AMG or another Schmidt if our overloads will stop fucking my paychecks to death.

Open to thoughts on if I’m looking at this reasonably.

Reactions: HogsLife
Seems like a good build to me. I’m planning on swapping my Tikka to a 22” 300wsm. Definitely a capable round for elk. If you’re really into reloading, 7ss would work well if you’re into shooting longer distances on game. A 300 wsm with 180-190s will max out at probably 500-600ish yards on elk

Reactions: wvfarrier
Yeah hand loading is no biggie for me these days in fact its all i shoot anymore. I was originally thinking 7mm but i kept getting lost in the weeds on that but my end goal is to have no issue hammering an elk at a few hundred yards and one more reason is i may actually get some opportunities to actually get some exotics here in Texas but ive been told the ranches are a pain in the ass with you about anything below 7mm.

Reactions: The D
42B99116-DC80-420A-9D67-D5128A8DB862.jpeg
Zermatt Origin, 24” proof 300 wsm, Ultra 9, XLR magnesium, Zeiss V4. 9 lb 13 oz. Current load; 200 gr ELD-X at 2930. Other loads; 185 juggernaut at 3040, 176 A-Tip at 3130. All with RL-26.

Imo, 300 is kinda overkill, I went with it because I wanted 200 grains of fuck you power. This action has another barrel in 7 saum, 26” proof ss, and another chassis for straight up range work. Next iteration will be; AntiX and 18/20” proof carbon in 7 saum.

What’s wrong with the 6.5 lapua?

I’m sure it’ll dump elm just fine.

Spend ur life filling tags and wearing our boots, not buying things you don’t need.

Reactions: 30338
have to wonder if any one ever made a hunting rifle stock from elk antlers or moose or whale bone ( hand carved ) be that would look extreamly pretty .

What’s wrong with the 6.5 lapua?

I’m sure it’ll dump elm just fine.

Spend ur life filling tags and wearing our boots, not buying things you don’t need.
I’ll smoke an elk with my 6.5 lapua the problem is I don’t know how many times I’ve had it brought up to me just in recent memory that guides and and exotic ranches don’t like guys shooting below 7mm so I figured that “if” that holds true I can get a bolt and spare barrel and crank a 30 cal hammer at whatever I have to to keep the hunting gate keepers off my nuts. I’ve been using my 6BR PRs gun the past season with 100gr interlocks on dear with absolute effectiveness.

Definitely sounds like a 7 SAUM kind of situation. Have you considered using a Zermatt Origin and having a 6/ 6.5mm barrel and a 7mm/30 cal barrel chambered for it? Might be your all around hunting rifle. Hawkins hunter BM and mags. They have both standard SA mags and PRC short action mags. Barrel, bolt face, and mag swaps, rezero for the hunt and you're GTG.

While you're at it have them spin up a .223AI or 22GT barrel for off season use,
As for the first paragraph we’re pretty much thinking on the same wavelength. For the second part………we’re on the same wavelength lol I’m working on transitioning to 22 dasher for next years PRs season on the trusty ol surgeon and I have a full custom tikka 223 for the with already that’s a real heart breaker.

Sounds like a good build. I love the look and specs on the LRH and will be building with one soon too! As far as actions go, If your shaving weight id highly recommended looking at the kelbly nanook. If weight isn’t an issue the impact is killer

I’ll smoke an elk with my 6.5 lapua the problem is I don’t know how many times I’ve had it brought up to me just in recent memory that guides and and exotic ranches don’t like guys shooting below 7mm so I figured that “if” that holds true I can get a bolt and spare barrel and crank a 30 cal hammer at whatever I have to to keep the hunting gate keepers off my nuts. I’ve been using my 6BR PRs gun the past season with 100gr interlocks on dear with absolute effectiveness.
I used to guide in the hill country and have never told someone that they need a 7mm. I have had to let numerous people shoot my 222 to harvest their animals due to flinching magnums that they brought to hunt with. If you can put the bullet in the spot that you want I never cared what they shot. The best hunter that I guided was shooting a 243 and everything he shot went straight down

I used to guide in the hill country and have never told someone that they need a 7mm. I have had to let numerous people shoot my 222 to harvest their animals due to flinching magnums that they brought to hunt with. If you can put the bullet in the spot that you want I never cared what they shot. The best hunter that I guided was shooting a 243 and everything he shot went straight down
When I read Texas exotics where guides care I’m thinking nilgai, not lil whitetails and axis

Sounds like a good build. I love the look and specs on the LRH and will be building with one soon too! As far as actions go, If your shaving weight id highly recommended looking at the kelbly nanook. If weight isn’t an issue the impact is killer
Yeah I just found out about the nanook yesterday and it’s pretty slick, I’m leaning heavily to it if I commit $1,500 to the action. I’m actually building two rifles in the same config, just one in 6.5 creed for my brother and a 6.5 lapua for me but my brother is buying a tikka in a magnum as a spare gun whereas I’m not mainly because I frankly don’t want to spend money on another scope and all that jazz. I may order a impact with a spare bolt from Tate since I get a discount that’s hard to beat, I’m not married to any particular one really.

When I read Texas exotics where guides care I’m thinking nilgai, not lil whitetails and axis
Precisely my point. I work construction for a good family I’ve grown close two and they take me hunting already and if a nilgai is on the menu I’m not gunna pass it up.

Yeah hand loading is no biggie for me these days in fact its all i shoot anymore. I was originally thinking 7mm but i kept getting lost in the weeds on that but my end goal is to have no issue hammering an elk at a few hundred yards and one more reason is i may actually get some opportunities to actually get some exotics here in Texas but ive been told the ranches are a pain in the ass with you about anything below 7mm.
If you’re only concerned about a couple hundred yards your Lapua will definitely suffice. If you want a little more ass behind it, 280ai is a great option

I'd go XM length ANTI for max COAL in a 300WSM with a 175 BD2 at warp speed.
Yeah I just read up a little on the xm length anti, they make a detachable bottom metal specific for it correct? My understanding was I could maybe do that and basicly just swap mags? It still fits a SA footprint? Not sure about the rest of the deets but just more mud for the water as always.

Yeah I just read up a little on the xm length anti, they make a detachable bottom metal specific for it correct? My understanding was I could maybe do that and basicly just swap mags? It still fits a SA footprint? Not sure about the rest of the deets but just more mud for the water as always.
Problem is the mags, MDT makes a 10 round mag for the XM action length and that's the only commonly found one that's available. a 10 round single stack mag sticks out pretty far from the bottom metal

Reactions: Digetydog
Been brain storming on how to do my semi dedicated rifle for hunting. 90% of its life will be smoking your run of the mill game in Texas as a 6.5 lapua since I’m fully stocked on everything I need to load for it and 500 rounds of lapua brass. but I will have the opertunity to get in some elk action starting next season and I really don’t want to fool with anymore rifles and glass just to acomidate a couple hunts over the next few years.
Right now I’m thinking of doing a 300wsm as the backup, from what I can gather I “should” be able to run 180’s at 2950 to 3050ish and 190’s just behind that before I’ve maxed out my short action geometry.
Base build is as follows…
Manners LRH
Impact or Antix short action. (Open to others but leaning to impact)
Proof carbon 22” so I can run suppressed comfortably.
Not decided on glass yet but I’ll probubly find a used vortex AMG or another Schmidt if our overloads will stop fucking my paychecks to death.

Open to thoughts on if I’m looking at this reasonably.

Sounds like you got a good plan. Personally, I’m more of a 7mm guy. That 7 Saum will do anything your need it to do with less recoil, High BC bullets, big variety and 7mm been dropping elk for 60 years.

My 7 SAUM was built as a lightweight suppressed hunting rifle on an anTi XM length action and I went with the Defiance alloy XM BDL kit. It feeds and functions fine. A 175 elite hunter at 2,800 carries the mail a long way at higher elevation.

Reactions: HogsLife
My 7 SAUM was built as a lightweight suppressed hunting rifle on an anTi XM length action and I went with the Defiance alloy XM BDL kit. It feeds and functions fine. A 175 elite hunter at 2,800 carries the mail a long way at higher elevation.
What barrel length was that with?

22” Bartlein 8.5 twist

I got (2) 7mm proof barrels at the house a 22 and a 26. I’ve been waiting to chamber til I could decide what the shorter one was gonna be. 7RM for the 26 and 7 SAUM for the 22.

Tikka 300wsm, Pick up a 6.5 creed barrel and Bolt. You can swap as needed. You won't have any COAL issues and you will save a significant money.

Keep in mind they have a 1-11 twist, so you are limited to 205's Berger Hunters.

This is from someone who had an impact in a LRH with custom rail,ect.

The Tikka is lighter, just as accurate and much cheaper. a $5 trigger spring will make you think you are shooting a TT. You also won't feel bad banging it around.