• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New in AZ

AZDarkKnight

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2024
Tucson, AZ
Hello all, thanks for having me. I'm a novice in the hunting world and anything long range. I'm pretty seasoned with pistol.
Just looking to continue to learn and advance my skills.

Anyone know of any good long range desert spots not too far from Tucson? Preferably not more than an hour drive, and at least 200 yards, but longer is good too.

Anyone know of any good long range desert spots not too far from Tucson? Preferably not more than an hour drive, and at least 200 yards, but longer is good too.

If anyone has a spot, I doubt they will post it publicly.

I haven't really had much luck, it seems like most public areas in the general area are also used by offroaders/4x4'ers, hikers, bikers, etc. However, I haven't done any serious scouting, I've mostly relegated my shooting to shooting ranges.

Your best bet is to look up BLM land, and do your own scouting from there. Use Google Earth to virtually scout the area, to determine the terrain, topography, any potential shooting lanes, roads/access, etc. You can use the provided measuring tool to rough out shooting distances for potential spots. You can cross reference free apps like All-trails, which will show if there are any hiking trails in the area that you should be aware of. ON-X is a decent app as well for such purposes. From there you will have to scout out any identified potential areas to see how feasible they are in reality.

Keep in mind its illegal to shoot across any roads, or within a 1/4 mile of an occupied building in AZ. State Trust lands are also off limits for target shooting (but not hunting). Some may recommend shooting in Reddington Pass, but that place is a shit show that should be avoided.

There is a pretty nice free public range in Casa Grande, it has benches and shade covers. I'm not sure how far out the long range is but they have several long range and several pistol ranges.
Google map location

There is a pretty nice free public range in Casa Grande, it has benches and shade covers. I'm not sure how far out the long range is but they have several long range and several pistol ranges.
Google map location
Ok cool, that is just over an hour from my house. I'll definitely look into it.
I'm not looking for any honey holes, but I have definitely looked at BLM areas in the immediate vicinity and those are all marked no trespass. I know finding a random spot in the desert will take some work. I can find tons of great pistol spots, but still working on that one great rifle spot.
I do have Onx and am learning more about it through some of their online videos and trainings.
Thanks for the input.

Reactions: kthomas