• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New IR Laser Illuminator

jdbazz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2021
Idaho
I've been researching IR laser illuminators to find something that matches well with a Perst 4, with similar rugged build and power capabilities.

Many are using the Luna ELIR-3 for this purpose, one of the few stand-alone illuminators with full power on tap. It does have some downsides though - there've long been complaints about the design and build quality, bulky mounting system, sensitivity to recoil and its exposed power control dial. It also doesn't have a weatherproof rating.

On the positive side, the potential output is comparable to the full power DBAL-A3 (80mw) and LA-5B (80mw).

So when I came across a unit with more power than the ELIR-3 I was curious. I'd never heard of it since it's never been advertised or sold in the US...the Electrooptic IR 530-850 Digital Laser Illuminator.

Left.jpg

Electrooptic (EO) has been making night vision equipment since 1996 based in Belarus. The ELIR-3 is also made in Belarus...by Dipol.

I ordered the EO unit on the 16th and it got here on the 20th via UPS from Hungary. Not sure if that was a fluke but impressive. Am on a trip at the moment so can't do full testing, but wanted to share details/impressions so far.

Right.jpg

Build quality: CNC milled T6 aluminum, 500g rating for recoil, tested to .375 H&H. Has a rugged, high quality feel
Size/weight: 4.8 inches/3.2 oz; ELIR-3 is same length but plastic construction makes it 15 grams lighter
Appearance: modern shape compared to the tube-with-a-dial look of the ELIR-3
Wavelength: 850nm (785nm for the ELIR-3)
Laser class: 3B
Power: adjustable - low, med, high and turbo. High is 150mw, turbo is 300mw. ELIR-3 max output is 70mw. (Ultra High Power LA-5C = 200mw)
Power-On Indicator: recessed LED power-on indicator with different intensity for each power level - blinks in turbo mode
Power Control: button on top has a firm feel and is mounted inside a protective ring to prevent accidental activation
Power memory: on/off and power status maintained if battery is removed
Focus: wide focal control (.5-20 degrees). ELIR-3 is .1-5 degrees. Limited beam spread is a limitation of both ELIR-3 and the Perst-3
Focus Ring: nice action, not too loose or tight with solid end stop. Lots of travel, not a quick throw design
Lens: appears to be high quality glass. Diode is set deep inside the body to reduce glow
Range: specs say 800m at 1 degree but new model goes down to .5 so it may go a bit further
Windage & Elevation: recessed adjustments with protective outer rings...small 2mm hex screws but a beefy setup overall
Battery: 1x CR123 or 16340 battery w run-time 4-20 hours (ELIR-3 claims "up to" 4 hours on CR123...not rated for 16340)
Mount: small removable picatinny mount attached with hex screws, allowing use of custom mounts (ELIR-3 mount is built-in)
Weatherproofing: IPX6 - not submersible but otherwise waterproof. ELIR-3 not rated
Temperature rating: -20°С to +50°С (ELIR-3 not rated)
Warranty: 2-years (ELIR-3 is 1 year). Service is done within EU, not Belarus, to avoid shipping delays

Digital mount - nice.jpg

Vs Dipol and Laserluch 850.jpg

Dipol L2 850 is the more powerful (100mw) EU version of the ELIR-3.

Downsides:

No push button tail cap or remote pressure switch option. I've contacted EO to ask about this.

If they don't make a tailcap, it'd be easy enough to make an adapter to fit Surefire switches, like Luna/Dipol makes for the ELIR-3. The unit remembers on/off & power settings when removing the battery so it should work fine. It'd also be fairly simple to make a lens safety cover and diffuser.

Overall, the illuminator looks promising. Expensive but well worth the $75 bump over the ELIR-3 IMO. It's priced in euros so the amount will fluctuate depending on the strength of the dollar.

A variation was released a few days ago with the same body but with a power dial instead of pushbutton control. Max output is 250mw. I've ordered one from Electrooptic's EU rep (eloptic.eu) so I can compare the units side-by-side.

ELIR-3 is a plastic frame? I'm looking at mine right now and it looks like cast aluminum to me.

If I'm reading your spec's correctly, the Luna ELIR-3 maxes out at 70mw (I assume that is with the filter removed, correct?) and the EO maxes out at 300mw, this sounds like it has considerably more output than the already impressive ELIR-3. Plus I also like the low profile mount! But still wish one of these companies would mimic the screw spacing on the Surefire mounts.

ELIR-3 is a plastic frame? I'm looking at mine right now and it looks like cast aluminum to me.

If I'm reading your spec's correctly, the Luna ELIR-3 maxes out at 70mw (I assume that is with the filter removed, correct?) and the EO maxes out at 300mw, this sounds like it has considerably more output than the already impressive ELIR-3. Plus I also like the low profile mount! But still wish one of these companies would mimic the screw spacing on the Surefire mounts.
Luna calls it thermoplastic.

The 70mw is with the filter removed. The specs with filter are .5mw. There've been various versions made over the years with different diodes and wavelengths so it can get a bit confusing.

Reactions: Glassaholic
ELIR-3 has surefire adapter which can take surefire tail pipe which means you can connect an aiming laser like a steiner OTAL and the ELIR-3 up with a Unity TAPS SYNC to get a simultaneous on.

50366514942_99b35d8598_k.jpg

50365703703_57fc5ff870_k.jpg

Which might be useful for somefolks.

==
otherwise, you can try dual pressure pads on opposite sides so your hand can squeeze both of them at the same time.

50814145457_20a765d13d_h.jpg

ELIR-3 has surefire adapter which can take surefire tail pipe which means you can connect an aiming laser like a steiner OTAL and the ELIR-3 up with a Unity TAPS SYNC to get a simultaneous on.

==
otherwise, you can try dual pressure pads on opposite sides so your hand can squeeze both of them at the same time.
I sent Electrooptic info about the ELIR-3 surefire adapter. Would be easier than making a stand-alone switch and probably more useful for us.

If they don't make one I'll probably fab something up.

When I googled, it looks like some of the specs listed above may have been mixed between the different models. Do you have a link to the store or manufacturer's website?

When I googled, it looks like some of the specs listed above may have been mixed between the different models. Do you have a link to the store or manufacturer's website?
I noticed the same thing...just told them today the size specs for the digital mini are wrong. Should read 122mm long, not 110mm.

Here's the website for Electrooptic:

Looks like a solid option if you don't mind a bit more bulk. I'm told the larger lens gives a bit better beam performance with a larger dot when focused.

Apparently they make a pressure switch for this one.

View attachment 7612582
I just learned this unit has a turbo mode that will bump the power to 700mw for 20-30 seconds. It uses an 18650 battery to supply the current.

They really need to update their spec charts...the one I have also has a turbo mode (300mw), but it's not listed in their specifications.

How did you order? I emailed Electrooptic today about ordering the Digital 2 Laser Illuminator. I’d like to give it a try.

I just learned this unit has a turbo mode that will bump the power to 700mw for 20-30 seconds. It uses an 18650 battery to supply the current.

They really need to update their spec charts...the one I have also has a turbo mode (300mw), but it's not listed in their specifications.
Does the same turbo mode of 20-30 seconds apply to the smaller unit at 300mw output?

I like the idea of the 18650 battery (what my Fenix torches use) as I have plenty of them and the idea of the pressure switch as you mention above, but I cannot find the pressure switch on their website?

50366514942_99b35d8598_k.jpg

50365703703_57fc5ff870_k.jpg

==
Thanks for the tips Wigwam, just curious about the setup you show with the Eotech, are you using this with helmet mounted NV?

PS - I don't see the Unity TAPS SYNC on your Strictly Offensive site, is this something you carry?

I sent Electrooptic info about the ELIR-3 surefire adapter. Would be easier than making a stand-alone switch and probably more useful for us.

If they don't make one I'll probably fab something up.
Jdb, any chance that since both the ELIR and the EO are made in Belarus they use the same thread pattern for their battery cover on/off switch? Curious if the ELIR surefire adapter would work on the smaller Electrooptic IR 530-850? Is that what you're waiting to hear back on?

Thanks for the tips Wigwam, just curious about the setup you show with the Eotech, are you using this with helmet mounted NV?

Yes, I use with head mounted nods. Some combination of PVS-14s, COTI and thermal monocular.

51127219964_96a93f1e09_k.jpg

PS - I don't see the Unity TAPS SYNC on your Strictly Offensive site, is this something you carry?

We don't carry them (yet) ... but I can find one (some) for you if you need them! Just let me know !

Does the same turbo mode of 20-30 seconds apply to the smaller unit at 300mw output?

I like the idea of the 18650 battery (what my Fenix torches use) as I have plenty of them and the idea of the pressure switch as you mention above, but I cannot find the pressure switch on their website?
The printed instructions for the smaller unit says two quick button pushes to go into turbo mode at 300mw...it doesn't say anything about a time limit.

Their website isn't the best...I'd contact Daniel via email regarding the pressure switch.

Last edited:
Jdb, any chance that since both the ELIR and the EO are made in Belarus they use the same thread pattern for their battery cover on/off switch? Curious if the ELIR surefire adapter would work on the smaller Electrooptic IR 530-850? Is that what you're waiting to hear back on?
I was hoping the same but the ELIR body has male cap threads so it needs a female to male adapter...the EO body has female threads so needs a male-to-male one.

The fast shipping the first time around was apparently no fluke.

I ordered another unit (dimmer version) and it was shipped Monday...I got it yesterday (Wed), customs and all. I'll be posting more about the dimmer unit soon.

Dimmer Unit.jpg

By the way, I have no financial relationship with Electrooptic...I paid full price for both my units.

Interested in a comparo between the two. Would love to see the big boi too. Haha

Do they mention what the output levels are on the Low and Medium settings? 150 mW at High is well, a little terrifying.

Do they mention what the output levels are on the Low and Medium settings? 150 mW at High is well, a little terrifying.
I'm curious about that as well. I'll ask them and post the info here.

Regarding the power level, 150mw is high but with both power and focus adjustments, I think the risks are manageable. With the focus ring all the way in (seated) the spread is quite wide (20 degrees), so the intensity at any one spot downrange, even on high power, is greatly reduced.

In any case, using firearm safety rules with IR lasers is the way to go. I've found something that works well as a safety cap...will be making a diffuser cap as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: adamjma
Okay, so assuming that eventually there is a way to operate this and an IR aiming laser via a single pressure pad, what’s the cheapest but decent and small laser to pair with this? Would a civi power laser show up sufficiently against this beast?

Reactions: sinister
Okay, so assuming that eventually there is a way to operate this and an IR aiming laser via a single pressure pad, what’s the cheapest but decent and small laser to pair with this? Would a civi power laser show up sufficiently against this beast?
To me, the perfect match in terms of price, power and size is the Perst 4.

A civilian laser would probably do fine within 200 yards or so, given the control you have for both power and beam divergence on the Electrooptic.

Oh ok, thank you. I didn't see any pricing info anywhere either... got any idea?
I paid 334 euro for the digital mini and 340 euro for the one with the power dial.

It's cheaper than on the website since they don't need to charge VAT for items shipped outside the EU.

First impressions of the unit with the manual power control dial:

Same size as the digital unit.
The power dial gives smoothly-graduated control from off to max power.
The dial has a very firm feel to prevent a casual bump from changing the power. Perfect IMO...I was worried it would be too easy to turn or feel loose.
No LED power-on indicator. The body shape is slightly different from the digital unit so they may not have had space. Hope to see this feature added.

I'll be posting more info when I'm able to do more detailed testing.

Last edited:
It's 399 euro on the website...

View attachment 7618153

That's weird, I didn't see any price listed at all when I looked on the site...thanks for the info. I will be really interested to read your comparison and opinions on these units. The smaller ones size is fantastic, and it appears to have excellent power...

Reactions: jdbazz
First impressions of the unit with the manual power control dial:

Same size as the digital unit.
The power dial gives smoothly-graduated control from off to max power.
The dial has a very firm feel to prevent a casual bump from changing the power. Perfect IMO...I was worried it would be too easy to turn or feel loose.
No LED power-on indicator. The body shape is slightly different from the digital unit so they may not have had space. Hope to see this feature added.

I'll be posting more info when I'm able to do more detailed testing.
Interesting. Glancing at them, I thought they were the same unit with and without the dimmer knob. Do you think the guts are the same or no? (Admittedly haven't actually looked at specs. Just glanced at photos when I had a sec the other day)

Interesting. Glancing at them, I thought they were the same unit with and without the dimmer knob. Do you think the guts are the same or no? (Admittedly haven't actually looked at specs. Just glanced at photos when I had a sec the other day)
There are differences in the body shape and function, so I'd imagine the electronics are different as well.

Dimmer vs Digital Top View.jpg

To me, the perfect match in terms of price, power and size is the Perst 4.

A civilian laser would probably do fine within 200 yards or so, given the control you have for both power and beam divergence on the Electrooptic.
Thanks. The Perst 4P/M might be even better now that Gen 3 comes with an adjustable switch.

Thanks. The Perst 4P/M might be even better now that Gen 3 comes with an adjustable switch.
Edited....just realized you were talking about the P/M units and not the regular one. Glad to see they added the power dial to the remote!

I almost bought an M... smaller and lighter than pretty much anything out there. Just wish they tucked in tight to the rail like the standard Perst 4 does.

Last edited:
Wow, the Perst 4s go fast...I was just on Ivan's site looking at the switch and saw he's out of stock again. He had 23 on hand a week ago.