• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New-ish to shooting regularly, hoping to learn some things here

Drumhack

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2021
United States
Hello,

I bought a Sako S20 couple months ago in 6.5 CM and put a Burris Eliminator III on it as it seemed like the scope does alot of the work with longer range shots. I haven't shot this rifle yet. Trying to join a local range with a 600 yard target and they only accept members next spring. I'm from the NE US and stay mostly all year in a work apartment down south, so i'm hoping shooting will be a good hobby to occupy some down-time.

A work apartment creates issues for securing guns, so I welded a big heavy metal tubing, 38" square and bought and bolted a safe to it, and have it in the closet. If anyone wants pictures, this is, in my opinion, a realistic good alternative to floor bolting a safe for situations like this.

I was in the Army 30 years ago, right when the triangle foregrips turned round on the A2 models and auto went to burst. I was just a regular troop, not a war hero or commando or anything like that. I have always enjoyed guns and am an ardent supporter of the 2nd ammendment. Even for an old guy, I enjoy the tacti-cool stuff and lasers, optics and lights on AR's are fun to mess around with. Kind of like expensive Lego sets for adults. You can't take it with ya and the grandson will have some cool toys someday. YOLO.

I'm anticpating being accepted to the range, and realized i'm about to show up there next year with a pretty nice gun and look like a total poser when I can't hit water from a boat. haha Hence joining up here. Plan on reading through and picking up some tips.

Thanks, in Advance, for the help along the way.

Reactions: DustBun
You picked a good place for some knowledge bombs on snipershide. You will also get so much bs it may spin your brain around a little bit. Good suggestion is to sign up for the modern day sniper online schoolhouse. Best option for long range schooling without being there in person. Welcome and Good luck!

Welcome! Find yourself a 100yd range and start working on the basics. Once you feel comfortable then the 600 yd mark won’t feel like it’s 10 miles away. I’d suggest becoming a supporter, it unlocks the training section and it’s worth it’s weight in gold. If you don’t have them yet get yourself a bipod and good rear bag.