• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New JLK bullets 2020

domdoc

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
I just got my first batch of Ed Faber's new-production JLK 6.5mm 130 gr. bullets. Shipping was very prompt, and high quality packaging. I measured 10 of them, and will be reporting about first firing soon. First, though, the basic data. Bullet length was +/- 0.003". 6 were +/- 0.001", 1 was +0-.003", 1 was -0.003", and 2 were -0.002". Pretty amazing for bullet length consistency, at least for those 10 bullets. The BTO was all +/-0.001", which is one reason for using JLK bullets. Weight for these 10 bullets showed 6 spot on, 2 +0.1 gr, and 2 -0.1 gr. The OAL and weight consistency numbers were surprisingly consistent, and beyond expectations.
Now for the loaded cartridge BTO and its implications. The freebore on my test chamber is 0.230" (a Savage).This jumps 50 thou at 2.925", which yields a shank seating depth of 0.130", the lowest I am going for this. Obviously, it's not mag length for a short action, and the shank seating depth would not be optimal for rapid-fire bolt cycling. So in this chamber, a mag length cartridge would be jumping 150 thou, with OAL of 2.825". Bottom line - if your goal is a mag-length 6.5 CM shooting 130 gr. JLK bullets (or 140 gr. since they are the same length) in a short action Remington or other similar action, limited by an OAL of 2.825", and you want the jump to be no more than 20 thou, you need a 0.100" freebore reamer (or somewhat less, if you want more than 0.130" of shank contact). If you want max case capacity, and shank contact is not critical, such as F-class with single loading only, the standard 0.199" freebore reamer might work. That should permit about 20 thou of jump. One option, which is my personal approach, is to use a long action and the SAAMI-standard 0.199" reamer. A 0.170" freebore reamer in a long action would give a bit more flexibility, and permit about 10 thou of jam, but other bullets do not need it that short. Well, this is all just about 6.5 CM, which hardly anyone uses for competitive bullseye target shooting at mid-range and long-range distance. For other 6.5mm cartridges, you'll need to spec out your own reamer measurements for JLK bullets. My main point is the excellent consistency of the JLK bullet measurements. And some ancillary advice, which needs verification by other shooters, about reamer implications in 6.5 CM. By all means, do not rely on my measurements to make any purchases, since I am not a gunsmith.
Range results forthcoming.
Edited for jump/jam errors in original post. Also, I have loaded the first 10 cartridges, and the loaded cartridge BTO using a Forster competition micrometer seater yielded +/- 0.0005" consistency, which means the ogive consistency is likewise phenomenal. That is not a misprint: 5/10,000ths plus or minus, an extreme spread of the loaded BTO's of 0.001". And there was only one (the first "mule" bullet used for original jam depth and seating adjustments, so it got poked and prodded the most) that was 0.001" short. This is compatible with a slight deformation of the jacket during repeated seating and jamming, and measuring, which I have seen repeatedly in all brands of bullets. These measure awesome, and the ogive taper consistency is a very positive sign. With the new jacket supplier, it is possible these are going to be better than ever. We'll see shortly, but honestly I think others will do better on the live-fire testing than an old man with a Savage rifle and barrel.

Last edited:
I can fit 2.96”ish in my Accurate Mags.
What are you measuring your CBTO with that you can claim .0005” consistency?

I can fit 2.96”ish in my Accurate Mags.
What are you measuring your CBTO with that you can claim .0005” consistency?
I used the Hornady/Stoney Point ogive gauge on my caliper. Not anything special. I got a CBTO of 2.228" on one loaded cartridge, and all the others were 2.229". That was what I did. Mainly, I'm just posting my info so that interested people who have liked JLK bullets in the past can decide whether to try the new ones that Ed Faber is making, which use a new jacket supplier. The real test is on paper, and as I said, I think other shooters will be more reliable than me, although I will post my results when I get something I consider statistically valid and usable. The communication and service regarding billing and shipping were excellent. I am hopeful the product will be as good as ever. Based on my measurements, I'd say they are definitely worth a try.

Ok. Your caliper is good to +/-.002” accuracy at best. You’d need a micrometer to get any better.

These are better results than I've gotten in the past, so I mention the numbers for sake of comparison. The test is on the target. The bullets look real good. Perhaps you should be one of the people who can shoot better than me, and provide more reliable info than I can generate. I'd appreciate some people doing that, so the shooting community will get the best components, and the most reliable information.

I’m just a machinist who knows about metrology equipment.
I’m sure the bullets are great.

I decided to test the new JLK 130 grain bullets in my .260 Remington, since that chamber permits the bullet to reach the lands. The rifle is a trued Remington 700 built by Barney Eiseman at Shooter's Station in Conroe, TX, with a Krieger 26" 8-twist barrel, and bedded in a MagPul Hunter 700 stock. Jewell target trigger and Bushnell Elite 6500 scope. The barrel has 1,500 rounds fired. Ammo specs: Winchester .243 cases necked up to .264, fired multiple times, sized with a Redding body/shoulder bump die and Lee Collet/Mandrel neck sizer die. I don't anneal. The bullet jams 0.012" at OAL of 2.995" (BTO of 2.300"). CCI BR-2 primers and 38.4 grains of H4895. I fired 5 shots with another bullet and H4895, to warm up the barrel, then fired 5 shots with the new JLK's and this load (the first and only load I tried today). The 5-shot group measures 0.197". Firing rate was just what you would do in F-class, which is no appreciable delay between shots. Other shooters will do better than a 70 yr. old guy who's had 2 eye operations. Please try out these awesome bullets. Their consistency, and now their accuracy, is beyond my wildest expectations, and I will be testing larger group sizes and different calibers when they become available. Thank you, Ed Faber, for putting out the effort to make these marvelous bullets available again!

Attachments

• 20200830_152356.jpg
    20200830_152356.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 98
How in the world did you get ANY bullets from them at all?
I've been trying to replace my stock of JLK's for the past 3 years since the last guy died.
If I go on the website listed jlkbullets.com it shows... EVERYTHING is out of stock and no option to order / backorder.
I emailed the guy once and never received any sort of response.
It's a shame....JLK's are better than Bergers ever wanted to be.

How in the world did you get ANY bullets from them at all?
I've been trying to replace my stock of JLK's for the past 3 years since the last guy died.
If I go on the website listed jlkbullets.com it shows... EVERYTHING is out of stock and no option to order / backorder.
I emailed the guy once and never received any sort of response.
It's a shame....JLK's are better than Bergers ever wanted to be.
Text is best 715-650-2043

Text is best 715-650-2043
Texted and Ed replied they would have 140 gr VLDs available in September at the earliest. They are waiting on bullet jackets. I got on the list for 1K.