• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New job...New scope

Bearwalk

Private
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2010
Between the Blue & Canadian Lines
So, I am going to treat myself to an NXS 3.5-15x50 HSZS to put on my bull barreled AR in 308. Will use out to 800 yds.

I even have a spousal writ of approval.

Any reason to go 5.5-22? I already have one and really like it on my 338. But for this rifle, I wanted some more FOV.

Wanted to use a site sponsor also. I am aware of Euro's excellent rep, but recommendations are welcome.

Re: New job...New scope

If you already have a 5.5-22 and like it get another, when you need more magnification you have it, and if you ever need more field of view, its as easy as turning the magnification back a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you already have a 5.5-22 and like it get another, when you need more magnification you have it, and if you ever need more field of view, its as easy as turning the magnification back a bit. </div></div>

Believe me, I like having the extra magnification when needed. The only reason I am leaning towards the 3.5-15, is the additional FOV at the lower end.

What we need from NF is a 3.5-19x50 - ha!

Well, if your willing to look at some different scopes other than nightforce, IOR makes a 3.5-18x50, thats pretty badass, and for around the same price as the nightforce with all the goodies and a 3-18x42, if your not into having the Hubble telescope attached to your rifle lol. Heres a link to see if it floats your boat: 3.5-18x50>> http://swfa.com/IOR-35-18x50-Tactical-35mm-Rifle-Scope-P47633.aspx

3-18x42>> http://swfa.com/IOR-3-18x42-Tactical-35mm-Rifle-Scope-P8937.aspx

I just had my Nightforce 5.5 x 22 NPR1 out for the first time yesterday and I am really glad I didn't settle for the 3.5 x 15. I was shooting inside of 400 yards, but I like having the ability to see my hits on paper at 300 yards.
In my experience with a DPMS .308, with it all decked out it was a 18 lb rifle, so it is not like you are going to be kicking in doors and need a handy rifle. Now if you are looking for a handy rifle, than you are already looking at too much scope with the 3.5 x 15. Just my opinion.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, if your willing to look at some different scopes other than nightforce, IOR makes a 3.5-18x50, thats pretty badass, and for around the same price as the nightforce with all the goodies and a 3-18x42, if your not into having the Hubble telescope attached to your rifle lol. Heres a link to see if it floats your boat: 3.5-18x50>> http://swfa.com/IOR-35-18x50-Tactical-35mm-Rifle-Scope-P47633.aspx

3-18x42>> http://swfa.com/IOR-3-18x42-Tactical-35mm-Rifle-Scope-P8937.aspx </div></div>

Agree ^ I would get an IOR 3-18

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bearwalk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would love to consider the IOR, but I'm an MOA/MOA kinda guy.

But, now you guys have me leaning back to the 5.5-22. This beast is def. not a CQB set-up... </div></div>

Im a MOA/MOA guy also and the 3-18 cmes in MOA/MOA

Get the 5.5-22, you will wind up using the extra magnification more than you think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Im a MOA/MOA guy also and the 3-18 cmes in MOA/MOA </div></div>

No shit. I did not know that. Well, this changes everything. To think I hesitated starting this thread...you guys rock. Thanks for the help.

I agree with Broke Again, get the extra magnification not to mention you already like the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ander254</div><div class="ubbcode-body">go 5.5-22 and don't look back</div></div>

+1, I would go with more magnification, if price isn't an issue

I'm curious if you bought the scope yet and which one you bought.....

Update: Based on some comments here, I went back to the drawing board with wants/needs and decided I <span style="font-style: italic">needed</span> FFP. I am now the proud owner of a Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50. Thanks for all the help, guys. Can't wait to get to the range with it.