• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New K31

HSNARC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Central Illinois
I origionally wanted a sweedish mauser but after some advise from some of you here and a bit of research i decided that a K31 would be a great alternative as an entry to vintage military rifles. I found this one on gunbroker and paid too much but when you live in Central IL thats how you have to find anything other than 12 gauges and muzzel loaders. When i got it it had an awesome bore (like on par with the Lija in my 260)so i was pretty happy with that. The stock had the usual dents and dings, but thats just history. Its got some markings i cant seem to find on reference sites ill post pics. The barrel has a different Serial Number than the rest of the parts and receiver but it is only 5 digits as opposed to the 6 digits on everything else. SN# tells me that it was manufactured in 42, but with a barrel in that condition with a different SN# i would think it was rebarreled at some point. It has a "P" marking on the magazine and some of the other small parts, but not the barrel or receiver. What can you make of the WF+ in the circle on the underside of the handguard. Look at the pic of the "X" "O" on the ebd of the stock, anybody know what that means? Got 120 rounds of GP-11 comming today so im excited to fire this 69 year old beast up this weekend.

2wg5eg8.jpg

a12xoy.jpg

rhpnwz.jpg

af795h.jpg

Re: New K31

who dosent take every new gun they get and make gunshot noises as they dry fire their new rifle at the TV?

I did take it out after work yesterday, and i was very impressed at the way this 69yr old rifle shot with 32yr old surplus ammo.

Its a small world when it comes to the forums lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HSNARC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a small world when it comes to the forums lol </div></div>

Ain't it just?
laugh.gif

These are very nice rifles. Mine likes the Sellier Bellot ammo very well. Even shot a few 5 shot groups under an inch when Im lucky.

Wow, that is a nice piece of history there. I love old military bolt guns. Looks like you have a nice rifle there.

Thanks guys.

No troop Tag.....pisses me off!!

Shot it quite a bit this past weekend, shot reasonably well at 50 and 100. Tried my luck at 715 yards and couldnt seem to hit a 4X4 piece of plywood, but oh well i didnt really expect to with the old graduated sights and no windage adjustment, but it was still fun to try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HSNARC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys.

No troop Tag.....pisses me off!!

Shot it quite a bit this past weekend, shot reasonably well at 50 and 100. Tried my luck at 715 yards and couldnt seem to hit a 4X4 piece of plywood, but oh well i didnt really expect to with the old graduated sights and no windage adjustment, but it was still fun to try.</div></div>

Are you going to reload for this? If so, I have some good information for you.

Edit:

Save your cases, you will need them to measure off of, even if they are Berdan primed.

What do I need to measure them for?
Too bad these cases are berdan primed because they are excelllent. The GP-11 overall is of superb quality and looks just as good as my handloads for my 260 lol. Too bad berdan primers are hard to come by here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HSNARC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do I need to measure them for?
Too bad these cases are berdan primed because they are excelllent. The GP-11 overall is of superb quality and looks just as good as my handloads for my 260 lol. Too bad berdan primers are hard to come by here. </div></div>

1. Check SR, a bunch of Berdan primers are supposed to be coming through some time soon.

2. Reloading is as easy as reforming .284 brass if you don't want to pay Dan's Ammo $230 a case plus shipping.

You can get graf's (made by Prvi Partisan) for pretty reasonable and have the correct brass.

You measure them because I want you to see the shoulder difference. Before firing the shoulder should be somewhere around .455"-.460". After firing it might run as high as .475".

The reason I am going to suggest this is because I have a Hornady set, have seen an RCBS set, and now own a Redding FL sizer. The Redding is made for the bigger <span style="text-decoration: line-through">cases</span> shoulders. If you buy one of the other you might want to ask them about this. I tried resizing with the Hornady dies and it was a CHORE! Scrunching down brass .020" is a lot of work. With the Redding, it's perfect. Not saying Redding is the best at everything, they just caught on the K-31 chamber is cut looser the previous Schmidt-Rubin rifles.

The Redding die number you need is #91235. You won't need to get any special seater. I still use my Hornady for that. It's really nice because it aligns the bullet as it goes up into the die. Good set-up if you ask me. I just wish they saw the same difference Redding did earlier.

As good as the RUAG shoots, custom loaded 168 or 175 SMK/CC's have given me the best accuracy.

This rifle does NOT like hot loaded rounds. Just above normal .308 loads is good. More like WWII 30-06 loads, 2650-2750. You can get more but groups do s-p-r-e-a-d out a bit.

My best load was 44 gr. of VV N150 behind a 168 CC. .445" groups @ 100 and 4-5" groups @ 300.

-good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIE107</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you want to work up reloads, use .284 Winchester brass to form the case. Powder.. RL17.</div></div>

Why, when you can actually get brass that is formed 7.5 with a .492 base instead of a .473 base?

FWIW, the Graf's is Actual 7.5x55 Swiss, you don't need to fireform it, like you do with .284 brass?

Why is it people don't understand this?

Oh I understand it very well Sandwarrior, but it is also very good to know your alternatives too.. wouldn't you agree?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIE107</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh I understand it very well Sandwarrior, but it is also very good to know your alternatives too.. wouldn't you agree?</div></div>

Agreed. If you can't get the 7.5x55 brass you can form from .284.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HSNARC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from what I have read though, the Privi brass is of mediocre quality. </div></div>
They need the flash holes deburred, and primer pockets uniformed. But so does most any brass except Lapua.

I have (had) 800 pieces with 8+ firings on them. Still have upwards of 700 of them and still loading them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HSNARC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from what I have read though, the Privi brass is of mediocre quality.</div></div>

Part of the label of mediocre quality was the issue of sizing dies being made to size down to original 7.5x55 specs, not K-31 chamber specs. Moving that much brass really hurt the life of the brass. I ran 200 through mine by muscling it through and going heavy on the imperial sizing wax. Once I got the right sizing die, the brass lasted longer. I've got six loads on the current batch and no issues.