• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Kelbly Black Bear Action

natdscott

Experienced Beginner
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
I am pretty excited right now about all of the new and innovative options available from the various manufacturers of bolt action receivers. We are truly in an era of "first world problems" in terms of the sheer number of makers and features that are available. You can go from the medical grade precision to no-holds-barred battlefield functionality with no more than a phone call, and you'll have experience and knowledgeable people on the other end of the phone.

Such was the case when I called to speak with Kelbly's about their new receiver. Ian Kelbly picked up the phone, and we had a good chat about it to answer some of my questions, so I thought I'd pass it on to you.

--The new Black Bear Tactical action is a 1.400" width flat-bottomed receiver very similar to a Kelbly Kodiak.

--The Black Bear is monolithic Stainless Steel and it is finished in black nitride, I am assuming via the same processor as is their Atlas Tactical. Subjectively speaking, it is a very attractive receiver.

--It has an integral recoil lug, same as a Kodiak, and it is designed with a moderately extended tennon length as compared to a Remington 700. The rear of the action also has ~1/4" of bedding surface as a secondary section of "recoil lug". Due to the massive flat bottom, these receivers have more bedding surface and resistance to torque than any equivalently sized round receiver can possibly have. Kinda like a Winchester 70, but better. And modern.

--For scope mounting, the action has an integral 20 MOA sloped Pic Rail. Unclear at this time whether or not it will have other elevation options at a later time.

--As with the Atlas, the Black Bear is equipped with mechanical ejection via Kelbly's TG ejector. Mechanical ejectors are preferred by some shooters as they are less prone to failure (no springs), they don't fling your casings into the dirt 5 feet away (unless you want them to when you work the bolt), and mechanical ejectors do not exert any force on a round in the chamber (they can't...)

--The bolt has a clip-style extractor, similar to a Savage or Post-64 Winchester. One advantage to this design is the fact that the action can be easily shut over a chambered round, or fed off a single load block (like a BobSled) where a claw extractor is not really SUPPOSED to be closed over chambered rounds....ie, a Mauser-style CRF needs to be fed from mag only.

--The Black Bear features a side bolt release, and they do offer an upgraded "Extreme Duty" bolt release that is built more or less as an "indestructible" option (as far as that could ever be done).

--The bolt handle comes equipped with a knurled tacical bolt knob, but if I understand correctly, it is threaded 5/16-24, so it will accept most other industry-standard knobs, as you prefer.

--The Black Bear has Remington-pattern bolt spacing, so with some modification of existing bedding, can work in most stocks that accept a Remington 700 or similar receiver. The deal is, it has to be milled flat, and about 0.050" wider, then bedded, if applicable. For a do-er, it's not much do-ing.

--It accepts Remington-pattern triggers via a trigger hanger for ease of maintenance.

--The receiver is cut to accept AICS, AW, and ARC magazines, and will function fully with your existing M5, etc. bottom metal. I didn't ASK, but I doubt it would work with hinged "BDL" bottom metal....same as most of it's DBM-intended peers.

The issue I always had with a Kodiak, Panda, etc. is that I want the rifle to be bad-condition durable, and I always felt that the aluminum receivers on those target-grade actions were a bad idea for a field/precision rifle. The Black Bear solves all of that in a big way, all while keeping the best features of the Kodiak.

Action price is to be $1,300.

Delivery starts along-about mid-March. The first set is apparently coming off the machines, and headed for nitride, and other than some that are backordered and set back for rifles in-house, the action will be ready for delivery.

I think that's all I know.

-Nate

ETA: If anybody is a FB user, here's a link to some photos: https://www.facebook.com/kelblysinc/photos/pcb.1981960015390903/1981959885390916/?type=3&theater

Last edited:
Nope. I'm just a dude that follows things and writes a lot. I follow several of these companies, and I like to see discussion about them, thus the thread. But I own a bunch of classic and current text on rifles and components, and of course...how to use said rifles.

I've been planning a build for awhile, still not sure if it will be an ARC, BigHorn, Pierce, or Borden. Or this one. And if Seekins weren't so far out on production, it might be their's.

I tell you what, speaking with all of them, they are ALL really damned likable and knowledgeable. It makes a guy's decision pretty tough.

Again. First world problems.

-Nate

Last edited:
I got to finger it at Shot last week. It is posibbly the smoothest action I have ever fuddled with. Cant wait to see some reviews.

If they make the bolt stop "indestructible" that will be a plus as well. Super excited.

First world problems is no joke. Lol.

DT

I spoke with Ian Kelbly last week and he requested that PVA start making prefits for their actions. We have a barrel nut design laid out and blanks on order so we'll be supporting these actions as part of our effort to "barrel the industry".

I also spoke with Ted and eventually a BarLoc setup for this thread pattern will be available too.

I spoke with Ian Kelbly last week and he requested that PVA start making prefits for their actions. We have a barrel nut design laid out and blanks on order so we'll be supporting these actions as part of our effort to "barrel the industry".

I also spoke with Ted and eventually a BarLoc setup for this thread pattern will be available too.

Are these 18 TPI like the Kodiac? I forgot to ask that.

Damn. Surrrre would be nice if that were EITHER 16 or 20 tpi... Remage OR Savage pre-fit capability would have been a good play.

I'm sure there's a good engineering reason why, and I'm not saying it would keep me from using the receiver, but damn..

Reactions: oakfig
The only thing I was concerned about was weight, that thing is a brick. That can be good, if you want a heavier rifle, and not so good if going the other way.

But it has neat features and I like the flat bottom. Kind of reminds me of my Surgeon XL in a few ways. Of course I bought my XL with part of the intent of building a boat anchor to subjugate recoil.

Damn. Surrrre would be nice if that were EITHER 16 or 20 tpi... Remage OR Savage pre-fit capability would have been a good play.

I'm sure there's a good engineering reason why, and I'm not saying it would keep me from using the receiver, but damn..
The Kelbly actions are all 1-1/16 x 18 tpi across the board. The breechface shapes vary but I suspect the decision to go that route was because it stays the same for them in house the way it has been for 20+ years.

But, as I said above, we have barrel nuts and prefits on the way to support this action. Incidentally the prefits for an 18TPI tenon came about due to the Gunwerks GRB action and this one fits it as well.

There are lots of other 18 TPI tenons out there beyond the Gunwerks and the Kelbly's. The BAT Tactical is one that comes to mind, the Nesikas were as well.

I have several Panda’s on my fclass rifle, love them! My only fear for this action is there won’t be many chassis available since it’s a flat bottom. Dealing with that issue with there 338 Lapua Panda now.

Guys,

So glad to hear that the Black Bear is well received. We are currently producing backorders of the Black Bear and will start putting them on the shelves late March. We kept the tenon the same as all of our other receivers, for ease of barreling for existing customers. You will be able to use your Panda or Kodiak barrels on this setup, it also eliminates those OOOPS moments when someone threads a Remington pre-fit onto our receiver and it goes boom because the bolt faces are completely different.

At this point we do not have the Extreme Duty bolt stop for the Black Bear. We increased the bolt stop screw size to 5/40-3/4" (.125" Diameter) from the Atlas Screw 3/56-3/4" (.125" Diameter), so the bolt stop is much larger and has 37 years of service in the Pandas without any issues. We are always adapting, so feedback from the initial orders will be crucial. These are the slickest actions we have ever produced, we couldn't stop playing with them at SHOT this year.

Chassis Manufacturers will be receiving fitment actions in the next 4 weeks. XLR, MPA, PDC Custom, Manners, McMillan, and Kelbly will all offer stocks and chassis' for the Black Bear.

Any questions please don't hesitate to call or email us! 330-683-4674 [email protected] or [email protected]

All the best,
Ian A Kelbly and the Kelbly's Team

Greg at southern precision has bug nuts and prefits for the Kelbly actions as well.

Reactions: natdscott
Guys,

So glad to hear that the Black Bear is well received. We are currently producing backorders of the Black Bear and will start putting them on the shelves late March. We kept the tenon the same as all of our other receivers, for ease of barreling for existing customers. You will be able to use your Panda or Kodiak barrels on this setup, it also eliminates those OOOPS moments when someone threads a Remington pre-fit onto our receiver and it goes boom because the bolt faces are completely different.

At this point we do not have the Extreme Duty bolt stop for the Black Bear. We increased the bolt stop screw size to 5/40-3/4" (.125" Diameter) from the Atlas Screw 3/56-3/4" (.125" Diameter), so the bolt stop is much larger and has 37 years of service in the Pandas without any issues. We are always adapting, so feedback from the initial orders will be crucial. These are the slickest actions we have ever produced, we couldn't stop playing with them at SHOT this year.

Chassis Manufacturers will be receiving fitment actions in the next 4 weeks. XLR, MPA, PDC Custom, Manners, McMillan, and Kelbly will all offer stocks and chassis' for the Black Bear.

Any questions please don't hesitate to call or email us! 330-683-4674 [email protected] or [email protected]

All the best,
Ian A Kelbly and the Kelbly's Team
Ian,
I emailed Tracy at MPA (she doesthe law enforcement stuff) and she replied that they aren't cutting import inlets in the mpa and that she didn't have a time line. I'm hoping she just hasn't gotten the memo yet. Is there someone at mpa I should contact? Thank you

We recently chambered one in 6mm XC for a client. I didn’t mess with the receiver much but recall it being very smooth.

38434D37-8BA8-43FD-8B70-931802BB51E0.jpeg