• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Kit to test: Vortex Fury 5000 AB

catorres1

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Just received these to review.

It will be a while before the review is complete, but if there is anything particular y'all would like me to test, let me know and I'll do my best.

Mostly interested to see if this is a Fury 5000 re-gurg with the AB, or if we will see any improvement in the glass

I don't have an original Fury, but talking to Vortex, I am told that the ranging and glass are the same as the non AB Fury HD. The difference is in the addition of environmentals, connection to the Kestrel etc.

Would like to hear more about the range scanning function, how well it works.
Also, true beam size, and how it's centered within the reticle.
I have one on backorder, need a fix.

I don't have an original Fury, but talking to Vortex, I am told that the ranging and glass are the same as the non AB Fury HD. The difference is in the addition of environmentals, connection to the Kestrel etc.
That sucks. New fury's are a no go for me then. Used the first version , glass is disappointing

Would like to hear more about the range scanning function, how well it works.
Also, true beam size, and how it's centered within the reticle.
I have one on backorder, need a fix.
I won't probably have this review done for a month or two, but I can tell you just in the few days I've used it, the scan function works well, it definitely increases the distance at which I can get a range.

As to beam size and sensor alignment, not there yet, but I am pretty sure it's going to need mapped.

Reactions: StrayDog
That sucks. New fury's are a no go for me then. Used the first version , glass is disappointing

I just got these, so my impressions are severely limited so far, but it depends what your are expecting out of the glass. If you are looking for Leica level, nope, but then we are talking an entirely different price point here. But if you are expecting what you would get out of a sig 3k or a Viper HD, so far, that appears to be where these fall. Much more testing to do, really just casual observances so far, but I am pretty sure that's where the glass is going to fall considering what I know about how these are put together and their price point.

Both Sig and Vortex have placed themselves in this particular category when it comes to cost, and therefore optical performance. They both have higher level glass that they could offer, but then the price would push it out of what most people can afford and what they feel they need in ters of optical performance....plus then they'd probably find themselves pushing up against the big 3 pricewise, and most people would probably jump up to one of those if they are that close already. So they are really pursuing a different market segment and have spec'd that glass accordingly, the formula appears to be to supply a high functioning RF at the glass price point that is widely popular in terms of price/performance balance. That Viper HD level optic seems to be where the market bell-curve apexes, so that's where they have focused their efforts.

But yeah, if you are looking for something that outperforms the Vipers optically, I don't think these will be for you. Personally, I am impressed with these new offerings considering the price point, but I do love my alpha glass....I am just not in that tax bracket when you add in the RF portion!

Reactions: Rob01
I just got these, so my impressions are severely limited so far, but it depends what your are expecting out of the glass. If you are looking for Leica level, nope, but then we are talking an entirely different price point here. But if you are expecting what you would get out of a sig 3k or a Viper HD, so far, that appears to be where these fall. Much more testing to do, really just casual observances so far, but I am pretty sure that's where the glass is going to fall considering what I know about how these are put together and their price point.

Both Sig and Vortex have placed themselves in this particular category when it comes to cost, and therefore optical performance. They both have higher level glass that they could offer, but then the price would push it out of what most people can afford and what they feel they need in ters of optical performance....plus then they'd probably find themselves pushing up against the big 3 pricewise, and most people would probably jump up to one of those if they are that close already. So they are really pursuing a different market segment and have spec'd that glass accordingly, the formula appears to be to supply a high functioning RF at the glass price point that is widely popular in terms of price/performance balance. That Viper HD level optic seems to be where the market bell-curve apexes, so that's where they have focused their efforts.

But yeah, if you are looking for something that outperforms the Vipers optically, I don't think these will be for you. Personally, I am impressed with these new offerings considering the price point, but I do love my alpha glass....I am just not in that tax bracket when you add in the RF portion!
Good report. I wasn't trying to knock the vortex product I have owned a number of there items. And I understand that they r trying to teach out to certain buyer's market point. I was hoping that they bumped the glass up, so we could get good rangefinder binos without going to the swaro or lieca level

Look forward to your detailed review.

I have already purchased mine; awaiting their arrival. The price point (in Canada) was at the maximum of my budget. Considered the Sig 3000 BDX but the full AB library, environmental functions, as well as lens caps (small thing but didn't have to shell out extra cash) swayed me to them. The VIP warranty versus 5 years sealed the deal. YMMV