• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Kowa 55mm Prominar spotting scope with PURE FLOURITE CRYSTAL

LibertyOptics

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2004
Kalispell Montana
www.libertyoptics.com
Hiders,

Yes, that is right, all the optical performance of the mighty 88mm Prominar spotting scope shrunk down in a handy 55mm compact package, the only other spotting scope in the Kowa lineup with pure flourite crystal in the objective lens!!

Here's the press release: http://www.kowaproducts.com/USA/kowa-TSN-550-press-release.pdf

MAP is $1799 Email me for Hide pricing, [email protected]

I am very excited about this new addition to the Kowa lineup!!

Scott

I wish they would offer an eyepiece with a mil reticle so I could outfit my TSN-77.

Can I get in on the wish list? Of course, mine is even an older vintage, but I believe still eyepiece compatible.

I love my Kowa spotter, but a mil reticle would make communication to, especially newer, shooters easier.

The reticle is a dealbreaker for me. I'm shopping for a scope right now, and as much as I like Kowa im going with an Optolyth or Swarovski.

There must be something extremely difficult about putting a reticle in an eyepiece, as very few manufacturers do it. Meopta has one, but it only fits their telescoping model. Vortex discontinued theirs. Optolyth makes a very nice one, but it sure is expensive.

I've had my Optolyth Tbg80 for a couple weeks now.

Several times got the opportunity to set it up next to some respectable scopes, including a 77mm flourite Kowa, to look at some resolution charts.

I'm quite happy with the Optolyth. It easily bested everything I've compared it to, except the 77mm flourite Kowa, which it equals. We used the resolution chart with the black horizontal and vertical bars.

My Optolyth and a friend's Kowa both made it to the same line on the chart. Both with a fixed 30x eyepiece. Maybe with variable eyepieces we'd have seen a difference, but not with the 30x.

The Optolyth was brighter than the Kowa and had a more forgiving eyebox.

The Kowa seem to have better color though. A bright white sheet of paper was pure white with the kowa.

Like I said, id have long ago bought a Kowa, but the non–availability of a reticle is a showstopper.

Last edited:
Optolyth? Ask lowlight about them....

Just out of curiosity, is Optolyth affiliated with IOR Valdada at all? Sister company or something? I'm going to be upgrading my Zen Ray spotter in the near future and have been looking into the Optolyth spotters as well as the Kowas, so any info would be greatly appreciated and taken into account before i make that investment. Thanks ahead of time.

Optolyth is not part of IOR, nor Valdada. I'm pretty sure IOR and Valdada are two totally unrelated companies as well.

Valdada is an importer. He imports and resells IOR rifle scopes and Optolyth spotters in the USA.

I ordered my Optolyth body and eyepiece from a camera shop in Velen, Germany. They shipped directly to me via UPS.

Optolyth has been making optics in Germany since 1845 according to their website.

That being said, if you don't require a reticle, get the Kowa from Scott@Liberty Optics.

I took a risk sending a big chunk of change overseas, buying a scope that's relatively unknown in the US, all so I could have a reticle.

There's no risk with Liberty Optics. You'll get a good price, a good product, and can be certain you'll be taken care of should there be any trouble.

Last edited:
I'm confused for the money you spent on the optolyth you could have got the Hensoldt Spotter 45 or 60 for not much more? I hope you enjoy your product, you are right they are hardly around in the states and for good reason.

I don't want to totally hijack Liberty Optics thread so I'll start an Optolyth thread.

Rommel500, I'll post my reply in the new Optolyth thread.

Last edited:
My experience with Optolyth was a pure shit show. I could not get warranty support for the lemon I was sold.
I bought their top of the line offering at the time, 20-60x80 APO (HD) and it had a yellow cast with poor light transmission but okay resolution.
I replaced it with a Razor HD 20-60x85 and it was twice the spotter at half the price.
Save your money and buy something else, anything else, in my experience.

Last edited: