• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New KTM help please.

jbuck88

Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Port Angeles, WA
I just got a new KTM exc 350. I got home and the dealer is closed now.

So my problem is this thing start just fine, responds to the throttle while I'm in neutral. However as soon as I try to go it sputters and wants to die. In first gear I can get upto about 9 or 10mph where it dies. It starts right back up, but it will not accelerate at all.

20210402_171927.jpg

It's fuel injected. I tried pushing the yellow "choke" in and goes in and pops out when you roll the throttle closed like he said it should before I left the dealer.

It is utilized by pushing in upward to choke the engine and pulling it down to unchoke the engine. has it been sitting, could be bad gas

Don't know. I don't see a valve, just a quick connect fitting and the hose goes from the tank to the "carb"

It is utilized by pushing in upward to choke the engine and pulling it down to unchoke the engine. has it been sitting, could be bad gas

It seems to function ok. It advances the rpms when engaged, and retards when disengaged. The yellow know is what I'm talking about.

20210402_173757.jpg

No fuel shut off on them.
Could be bad gas but I doubt that. Sounds like ecu programming, Try letting it warm up good and then try it.

kickstand kill switch acting up? does that model have an off or reserve tank toggle?

Doesn't have a kick stand kill switch from what the salesmen said. Has a auto retractable kick stand instead.

I don't think it's bad gas. It could be, but it's a 2021. It starts easy and seems to be cutting power with the ECU for some reason or another.

Check the air filter, could still have the plastic on the air cleaner.
People have forgot to take that off once or twice.

you say it responds to throttle in neutral - you can rev it way up and keep it rev'd?

Clogged fuel injector. I always carry a spare. Try cleaning in the opposite direction of flow.

ok well that rules out kickstand (that you already ruled out) and drive issues. can't hurt to dump the tank and put in fresh fuel (although again that should make it hard to start). pull the plug and just make sure not fouled though that would prob hinder starting. perhaps a wire somewhere that is loose or frayed/ground and vibrates more at higher rpm.

hope you figure it out, know you're itchin' to hit the road/trails in the morning!

Clogged fuel injector. I always carry a spare. Try cleaning in the opposite direction of flow.

Any advice on how to do this would be appreciated. The manual is only available by download, and I'm not sure where the injector is or how to clean it.

Thanks, that looks a little more involved then I was hoping. Going back to the dealer tomorrow.

Have you cleaned your plug and checked the gap? Is the plug soaked or is white or redish and chalky? Is the vaccum line on the petcock broken or disconnected?

Could be so many things, if the bike is brand new I would say someone put it together wrong at the shop.
These things do not arrive 100% assembled at the dealer.

Fuel Injector
Fuel filter
Some sort of blockage
or
Fuel pump maybe defective out of the box

I doubt its an air issue unless literally the air box is plugged.

Could also be an ECU problem, could also be bad out of the box

Talked to a guy that owns this exact bike and other than a bag under the air cleaner he said its a dealer issue.

Is there a plug in the exhaust pipe that needs to be removed?

That thing is sweet, street legal and all. Very cool by the way. Fuel injected, did you check the oil and water? I know its crazy but some of these bikes have low level sensors.

My 01 ktm 250 sx has a low fuel shutoff in the carb before i swapped it.

It will idle for as long as I wanted. I checked the pipe. There is a screen in it, but can't see past it.

Thats a flame arrestor
Its supposed to be there. Check your oil and water and remover the air cleaner and check that something didnt get sucked into the intake

You may find the bottom half of an air cleaner bag some where in there.

I last time I checked, KTM had an anti-theft program in their ECU. Dealer has to unlock it at the time of sale. It keeps people from buying them in crate and avoiding dealer setup fees.

I have no idea on your bike but I had a quad that did this exact thing, idle, no power or rpms over an idle. Clogged carb jet was my problem. (graas seed sucked around the air filter, happened twice) My money is on something similar.

Good luck and ask for money, swag, or gear to offset the return.

Reactions: Maggot
I checked the oil and water. It took about a hour to do the ECU unlock. So I was assuming it was done right.

It sounds like it’s in limp mode. Maybe the unlock didn’t take properly. There’s no reason for a modern fuel injected off road bike to run perfect in neutral but not in gear. The ECU is cutting fuel/spark for a reason once it’s in gear.

Sounds like a problem RZRs have.

Dumb question, but is there a check engine light/code being thrown and/or is there a way to plug it in and check?

I'm betting its a retarded air/air temp sensor.

The check engine light illuminates once the key is turned on before its started. It goes out as soon as it's running. Looks normal to me.

Making me think I picked wrong. It was between the KTM 350 EXC-f, 690 enduro R and Honda African twin.

I wanted something I could man handle onto and off a boat though. So the 350 won out.

The 350 is a great bike but the electronics are complicated and very sensitive. Since it is new I'd get it back to the dealer ASAP before you create a bigger problem. Could be a TPS (throttle position sensor) issue.

These bikes have a very small in-line fuel filter at the QD. They can get clogged with micro particles that are too small for you to see and the bike will act exactly like this. I keep spares in my kit for my Husky for this reason. Get a couple and swap it out, then give her a go. They’re cheap, like $4 or so.

Thanks. I'll grab a couple at the dealer tomorrow.
If they tell you that’s probably not it, get some anyway. My FX450 did the same thing and needed a new one before I had even put 0.3hrs on the motor. Probably some particulate left over from manufacturing the tank, or just shit gas. It’s a good idea to get a fuel sock to help keep all the junk out of your tank when fueling up too, but not a big deal if you don’t.
Don’t get discouraged, it’ll get worked out. These new KTM/Husky/Gas Gas bikes are outstanding.