• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Lapua 308 brass: too much neck tension

Domestique

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2009
Reading, Pa
This is my first time using this brass. Its new out of the box and I'm seeing about .005 neck tension which makes me uncomfortable since I like to be around .002. I dont have any way of expanding the necks. Should I just not worry and shoot it?

Re: New Lapua 308 brass: too much neck tension

I shoot it for the first time and then control neck tension thereafter.

Gotcha. I think im going to see a small change in velocity going from .005 to .002 though. AAR Monday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EdZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is my first time using this brass. Its new out of the box and I'm seeing about .005 neck tension which makes me uncomfortable since I like to be around .002. I dont have any way of expanding the necks. Should I just not worry and shoot it? </div></div>

You could always just run your expander ball through the necks and see if it helps, but I've just loaded them up out of the box and fired them, not expecting anything great for that cycle.

Informal practice.

Chris

I always run the expander to true up the necks and to have consistent neck tension from round to round.

Don't neck size it, just run the expander ball in and out.

I use lapua brass a lot. I always run a mandrel down the caseneck to iron out any little imperfections. The one I use is from Sinclair International and it works great. Just a touch of imperial sizing die lube on the mandrel helps too. HTH