• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Lapua brass, can you just reload it?

diego-ted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Diego-Town
Or does it need some sort of prep? I just got in a 100 cases and was wonering if they are good to go?

thx Ted

Re: New Lapua brass, can you just reload it?

I've never used any Lapua, but I always run Winchester brass through the FL die before loading it the first time.
There's always some dented up necks in every bag.

I prep all brass the same
Uniform primer pocket
Deburr flash hole
FL size the brass
Chamfer the in n outside of the neck

What cal ?

I'm using .223rem for making .223 AI. I've just used it as is. After fire forming then I work it alittle.
Making brass and setting up my rifle.
5 @ 400 yards.
IMG_0585.jpg

3 @ 400 yards.
IMG_0589.jpg

I treat all mine the same, espcialy new. I always prep them.
lay them out and see how the mouths are, bet some are bent, from getting tossed around. Never leave anything up for murphy to mess with

To add,
It doesn't hurt anything to prep new brass. What ever you feel is best.

With Win and RP brass I chamfer the inside and outside of the neck.
I throw away defective brass.

Already done with Lapua brass.

So I don't do any case prep with Lapua 223, 308, or 7.62x53R.

But those 6mmPPC benchrest guys start with Lapua 220 Russian and go through some process.

With new Lapua brass just run an expander ball through to uniform the diameter of the neck (or use a Lee collet die mandrel) - sometimes they can be slightly out of round, then chamfer.

I don't see the point of FL sizing new brass as every new case I've measured is always at the minimum case dimensions, therefore unless I crank the FL die down all the way its not going to touch it.
No need to deburr the flash hole on Lapua brass, there is no fash or burr like you get with Remington or similar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jagged77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With new Lapua brass just run an expander ball through to uniform the diameter of the neck (or use a Lee collet die mandrel) - sometimes they can be slightly out of round, then chamfer.

I don't see the point of FL sizing new brass as every new case I've measured is always at the minimum case dimensions, therefore unless I crank the FL die down all the way its not going to touch it.
No need to deburr the flash hole on Lapua brass, there is no fash or burr like you get with Remington or similar. </div></div>

+1

I chamber each unmodified case, to ensure they at least do that reliably. It's not a major chore, and it can eliminate chagrin at the range, in mid-match.

I don't trust any brass solely on the basis of its reputation, and treat it all the same. For my purposes, this would tend to negate any perceived advantage Lapua brass might enjoy in the eyes of others. My own preference is for Winchester brass, based on cost, local availability, and a personal history of reliable performance.

My neck tension/maintenance technique involves neck diameter reduction for only a fraction of its length.

I do this by emplying a conventional F/L die and sizer ball, with the die backed off so it resizes only a portion of the end of the neck.

How much length is determined by a 'spin test'. If a seated bullet can be made to turn within the neck, using only a thumb and forefinger; then there is not enough neck tension, and the die needs to reduce neck diameter for a bit more of the neck's length. When the bullet won't budge, we're there.

Since brass working affects springback, this tension value is a moving target. So the 'spin test' should be performed for each reloading cycle. This should allow neck tension to remain relatively constant regardless of neck hardening, within reason.

Obviously, I do this with all new brass as well. You may find that a bullet will seat into a new, unsized case and not spin. But after it fires and forms to the chamber's true neck expansion value, the process should become reliable.

Greg

In short,..I just reload it right out of the box after some minor work.

The last batch of Lapua 308 I received was top quality. I measured length of my first 100 and it was all right at 2.005 with a small percentage +/- .002.

I next looked at the weight of each case,..again very conistant with some small "statistically" normal variation,..not enough to concern me.

I ran my primer pocket uniformer through a few until I just stopped because they were already so good I was just waisting my time.

I next started to debure the primer hole,..and again stopped after several because there simply was not any burrs in them.

I do chamfer the mouth. After that,..load'em up and go to the range.

Lapua is pretty damned good stuff right out the box,..at least it is for me. Some guys may be a litte more anal than me but again,..the Lapua brass is GTG.

Good Luck

It's impossible to reload new brass. You have to load and shoot it once first!!!
grin.gif

I load it right out of the box. During the reloading process the first time I deburr the flash hole, uniform the primer pocket, NS or FL size and then chamfer.

I do a little more than some but I'm not sure how much difference it makes. I recently got a thousand new 308 Lapua. I FL resized them all then ran through the tumbler to get the lube off, them through the Giraud, then segregated them all by neck thickness consistency with a Reading case neck gauge, then separated them again by weight then I seat the bullet with a K&m arbor press with a force gauge and separate them one more time by seating force. Then I took a break
smile.gif
Just kidding, but I did do all of that. The problem is, I shot pretty damn good with Win brass going through a third of that trouble and I shot the same after all of that. I had to try though. I read Glen Zedicker's "Hand Loading for Competition" and tried a lot of what he recommends.

The point is, you can do endless case prep but at some point your rig and your hand loads will out shoot you. At least that is where I'm at. I'm just going back to paying attention to the primer pockets, OAL and neck tension. Like was said above, the rest is so good, there is very little else you can do with it that is going to make that much difference.

Shoot them Well!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dig that target stand, shotgun! </div></div>
Thanks.
grin.gif

I fully prep all of my brass,even Lapua.The main reason that I reload is because of the precision that I can get,compared to factory ammo.Thats just me,I can't really prove that it helps my groups.Lapua is about as good as brass gets,but I still do a little prep to it. Pete

I don't touch it, except the bushing die for neck tension. that's it...

fire form, and go from there.

I just FL it and chamfer/debur. Neck thickness has always been great, the the 2nd reloading I always ream the primer pocket to uniform depth. Lapua primer pockets are usually perfect. If need, I then trim.

I just kiss the mouth with the expander ball and chamfer the neck inside and out. After it's fire formed I use a lee collet die.

When I got my new .308 Lapua brass I just deburred the flash hole and then loaded up1

I was told not to even deburr the flash hole because they're drilled instead of the conventional way (not sure what it was) so there is no need for that either.

I think you're paying twice the price for ready prepped brass...

When I purchased Lapua brass for the first time I was told it could simply be loaded up and fired. Being a bit of an OCD head case, I went ahead and started to do full case prep on the brass (including the purchase and use of the tiny hand drills to clean up the flash holes as they are drilled and not punched, hence no need to de-burr).

It didn't take long to figure out that the primer pocket uniformer was taking out next to no material (same for the hand drills). I decided I was wasting valuable shooting time.

My Lapua virgin brass prep now amounts to weight sort, visual inspection of flash holes (check for any that may be off center), visual inspection of case mouths, and chamfer inside and out......Load and shoot.

I save the primer pocket uniformer for AFTER the brass has been fired. Generally then after once fired, the uniformer will clean the primer pocket and take a bit of Material out.......Satisfying my "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder".

In short, weight sort (if you are so inclined) visually inspect, chamfer inside and out..........Load and Shoot.

1GE

I've never resized virgin brass. At most I'll chamfer the mouth or just run it up to the sizer ball if the mouth is out of round.

Short answer; you can just load it up, fire form and then go through your case prep. Trim to length, ream primer pocket to same depth, is about all I worry about with Lapua .308.

Because Lapua cases are a little thicker than most, I always use a lighter load for fireforming. 100 Lapua cases easily last 500-800 rounds in my rifle.

If you want to prep prior to fireforming about all I do is run my case necks over the proper mandrel, neck size and ream primer pockets to the same depth. After fireforming I trim to length, and go with my normal reloading process.

With every new batch (including brand new) I run through all the steps. Lapua, Winchester, Remy, whatever. Keeps it sort of uniform.