• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Lapua Brass

rdl65

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
TN
I have some new .223 Lapua brass and was wondering if I need to trim it before I reload the first time. It measures 1.753 and if I should trim it what length do you guys trim it at. TIA

Re: New Lapua Brass

rdl65,

Make sure the necks are round before chamfering.

HTH,
DocB

When you do trim what is the length when it is time to trim? What length do you trim it back to?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdl65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you do trim what is the length when it is time to trim? What length do you trim it back to? </div></div>

Trim to length is 1.750".

Max case length is 1.760".

Depending on your chamber, you might even get to go longer.

If you're getting soot on your necks, let your necks grow a little longer.

Chris

I measure the chamber and then make sure my cases are shorter than the chamber and they are of uniform length. Most chambers are much longer than the "Trim To" length.
myerfire

I FL size ALL my new brass then chamfer/deburr, clean the burr off the flash holes then prime them. I do the same to new brass as I would case prep used shot brass.
I only shoot my .223's (Semi-Auto AR-15's)with Winchester or Remington cases if Im buying new brass. You cant beat buying 1,000 new cases for $200 of Winchester ammo.

Some guys will tell you just to check and make sure the necks are round and then go ahead and shoot but me shooting AR setups I always FL new brass and chamfer/deburr just to be safe.

Mine are also all trimmed to 1.750"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdl65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have some new .223 Lapua brass and was wondering if I need to trim it before I reload the first time. It measures 1.753 and if I should trim it what length do you guys trim it at. TIA </div></div>

Uniformity of the cases within a given lot,is far more important than striving for some archaeic trim designator,that is someone else's guess at best.

Listen to YOUR rifle.