• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Lapua Long Range and Super Long Range (Announced)

Cowpokey

MSgt, USAF Ret
Minuteman
  • May 1, 2020
    Bel Air, MD
    Saw this posted to the Facebooks:

Introducing: NEW .22LR rounds Lapua Long Range & Lapua Super Long Range
    🤩

Our Lapua quality has been around for 100 years, and today, we are proud to celebrate this milestone by presenting two new rimfire cartridges designed for ranges at 100 m/yds and beyond: The Lapua Long Range and Super Long Range, designed for those who are looking for the best of the best in extreme long distance shooting with .22 caliber ammunition.

These rounds show excellent performance on targets at 100 m/yds and beyond, and are the perfect option for disciplines such as Long Range, PRS, rimfire benchrest and field target shooting. With a muzzle velocity of 337 m/s or 1106 fps, Lapua Long Range and Super Long Range come with a flat trajectory and improved wind performance. Both cartridges bring a competitive advantage to any top shooter, with the Super Long Range giving the very best group accuracy.

Feel our Passion for Precision at the rimfire range this year with Lapua Long Range and Lapua Super Long Range!
    1673619582228.png

Wonder if it’s going to be in the $2000-$3000 a case price range like Midas and X-Act. I’d just be happy if they could keep up with the demand on Center X .
    I would venture to guess they will both cost more than Center-X...it's the Lapua version of SK Long Range Match, which is a little more expensive than SK Rifle Match.

1106fps out of a 26” test barrel, it’ll be supersonic out of most PRS22 length barrels.
    Is SK Long Range Match supersonic out of PRS22 length barrels? It's the same speed. I've never shot any SKLRM, but have a buddy that loves the stuff.

Reactions: GoggledIt
    The question is when will these hit the street?

Wonder if this is a sign that the MIA RWS long range offering will finally show up at retail.

Is the "super" going to be sold at a higher price because it is sorted with more QC in the factory?
    I'm guessing they are the same product by the spec sheets?

Proof is in shooting the ammo, but if what Lapua is saying is correct, the Super Long Range will be very interesting. SKLR for my rig, the speed drops 83.5fps between muzzle to 50yd. Lapua is stating only a 74fps drop for their new ammo. That's quite a difference in speed when stretching out to a few hundred yards.

Reactions: Cowpokey
    SKLRM averaged 1104fps out of a 22” barrel during the summer. Approximately 1080fps out of a 26” barrel.
    A new lot of it was 1064fps the other day at 42* out of my 26” barrel.

SKLRM averaged 1104fps out of a 22” barrel during the summer. Approximately 1080fps out of a 26” barrel.
    A new lot of it was 1064fps the other day at 42* out of my 26” barrel.
    What twists? My numbers are from LW 24” 1-12 with a match chamber.

As I have officially become a certified "old coot", by attaining the ripe old age of 67,
    I am now allowed to offer comments regarding products that I have not yet tried.
    I no longer am hindered by optimism, or a need to be politically correct.
    You have been warned. :p

Let us look at this latest offering based on a realistic view of the production of rimfire ammunition.
    It'll be manufactured at the same factory, using the same technicians, from the same components
    off the same assembly lines offering the same quality control as they always have, right?
    Do you really think the results will be any different than current production?
    I don't. Same stuff, new label, marketing department gets a bonus
    for finding another way to separate consumers from their hard earned cash,
    without any investment in technology or upgrading equipment.
    It's still mass produced 22lr ammunition.
    Still subject to the bylaws of the of the rimfire lottery:
    You pays y'er money, you takes y'er chances. ;)

Last edited:
    As I have officially become a certified "old coot", by attaining the ripe old age of 67,
    I am now allowed to offer comments regarding products that I have not yet tried.
    I no longer am hindered by optimism, or a need to be politically correct.
    You have been warned. :p

Let us look at this latest offering based on a realistic view of the production of rimfire ammunition.
    It'll be manufactured at the same factory, using the same technicians, from the same components
    off the same assembly lines offering the same quality control as they always have, right?
    Do you really think the results will be any different than current production?
    I don't. Same stuff, new label, marketing department gets a bonus
    for finding another way to separate consumers from their hard earned cash,
    without any investment in technology or upgrading equipment.
    It's still mass produced 22lr ammunition.
    Still subject to the bylaws of the of the rimfire lottery:
    You pays y'er money, you takes y'er chances. ;)
    Not certain but the bullet looks a bit longer than normal. Let’s be slightly optimistic.👍

Reactions: Williwaw
    Looking at Lapua website, same bullet weight and BC as Center-X and 33 fps faster. 0.1" less wind drift at 100 (for 9mph wind). Sounds like CenterX lot sorting and marketing, not a whole lot of improvement over CenterX.

Last edited:
    Reactions: BurtG
    RT, my optimism has been roasted and toasted by the furnace of experience.
    All that's left is the ashes, and I dumped them in the compost bin.
    See if they do any good in there, eh? :sneaky:

Center-X, Midas+ and X-Act are all the same ammo, off the same line, just boxed by the way they QC/lot tested...right?
    That's what I read in the Rimfire Revolution Book, page 150. They're sorted into good, better, best.

Long-range ones sound great. Bonus points for manufacturers checking out PRS/NRL22 and making something designed for it.

Lapua reps are on record stating that SK's LR match is just lot tested rifle match (tested for high velocity). There is no additional engineering or science behind it. If you go and lot test a ton of ammo, you are doing the same thing. These are marketing concepts that just narrow down your lot testing obligations...

See timestamp ±38:50

Last edited:
    Lapua reps are on record stating that SK's LR match is just lot tested rifle match (tested for high velocity). There is no additional engineering or science behind it. If you go and lot test a ton of ammo, you are doing the same thing. These are marketing concepts that just narrow down your lot testing obligations...

See timestamp ±38:50

If that's true, one has to wonder what they did with that ammo prior to marketing SKLRM...or Pistol Match Special, did they just dump it in with other lower grade tested stuff to SK Magazine?

Is SK Long Range Match supersonic out of PRS22 length barrels? It's the same speed. I've never shot any SKLRM, but have a buddy that loves the stuff.
    No. I find it no more consistently than SKRM either. Perhaps the consistency has just been tested better to brand it Lapua vs SK

That's my plan too. SKLR is the same speed out of my rigs, X-Act shoot incredible but isn't worth the $40 to me.
    I will pay the premium to Lapua or Eley to take away the 15% or so of high/low flyers the SK and other mid grade ammo comes with. If it happens 2/50 rather than 2/10, it can easily save 5 points in a match for me.

Reactions: BurtG and usmcgeek
    I wonder if the SK stuff is just loaded with a set of components and as the "new" jug of powder or primer compound is swapped in they just batch test the run and slap a fps and SD on the pallet and stack in a given corner of the shop. Then they just slap each pallet in a given box/label by the case loads.

Then they don't have to be too careful since they are pumping out batches by the 10's of thousand....not just hundreds.

Oops we got a run in 1160's....its Long Range now. 🤪

And like was said above....better charge a little bit more. Like 15-20% more. You know....to cover the cost of making new boxes. Ink and cardboard ain't cheap people.

I wonder how much of the velocity variation is tied to the humidity when they load it.

This was taken out of my house straight to the garage and shot. It’s 69 degrees in my house so should give you a close idea. 24” Shilen Ratchet
    View attachment 8046543View attachment 8046544
    Thanks, I'm going to pick up some SKLRM and test it out of my 20" Ace 1:16 at the indoor range in the next few days. It will be done at the indoor range, so temperature should be somewhere in 60's I think...I'll check it with the Kestrel and get data for temp, humidity, pressure, etc...and see what the numbers look like over the MagnetoSpeed V3. Maybe I'll get my tired ass moving in the morning and get it done.

I'll put some SKRM and SKPM across the chrono too, so we'll have three sets of numbers to look at....say 50 rounds of each in one string for each? Or should I do 10 round strings, and swap ammo between? It's all SK stuff, so switching ammo shouldn't matter.

Looking at Lapua website, same bullet weight and BC as Center-X and 33 fps faster. 0.1" less wind drift at 100 (for 9mph wind). Sounds like CenterX lot sorting and marketing, not a whole lot of improvement over CenterX.
    Someone help me understand the basis for claiming improved performance in the wind. While it seems logical to think slightly more velocity would produce slightly better performance in the wind, my ballistic calculators say that isn’t true of .22 projectile shaped objects (wonky things start happening at velocities approaching supersonic). For example, the same bullet/BC with MV of 1044 requires 0.89 mil of correction for a 9 mph wind coming 90 degrees from the right based on Hornady 4DOF application (my environmental stats obviously and RH twist). Keep all data the same, but increase MV to 1106 and you need 1.14 mils correction. Playing with the data, it looks like you would need to increase MV to 2600 fps to start improving the wind hold. I’m sure I’m missing something.

Reactions: Feisar
    The claim for improved performance in the wind is not easy to understand. Lapua says the ballistic coefficient is the same (0.172) as that for all other Lapua and SK .22LR ammo.

According to Lapua's ballistic chart, in a 13 fps (8.86 mph) crosswind, wind drift at 100 yards is only 3 inches. (If the same figures are plugged into a ballistics calculator, the wind drift is greater at about 3.3".)

Lapua notes that the 1106 fps was achieved in a 26" (660mm) barrel. Shooters should note that different barrels, even those of the same length, may have different MV's for the same lot of ammo. Bore characteristics may influence ammo MV as much as length. Some barrels will shoot this ammo faster, some slower, and some as expected. Unless the ammo is chronographed, it's MV can't be known.

In addition, as temperatures rise, ammo MV will increase. For example, when temps rise 10 degrees F from 70 to 80, MV's can increase by 10 - 15 fps.

Call me skeptical but u ain't seeing any of this for a while for us commoners. It will be available to the pros to further crush the average shooter. Hell I ain't seen center x in quite a while which continues to further widen the disparity gap