• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Large Frame .260 Build Finally Done

Fast Ed

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2007
P1010041-1.jpg

DPMS bcg, upper and lower. 26" Krieger. Geisselle DMR trigger. JP float tube and adjustable gas block. The JP tube is the same diameter as the small frame tube because of a special barrel nut they use on it. I like it better than a larger diameter tube. Magpul PRM buttstock. Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4-14 with tactical milling reticle. Thought I would try a PEPR scope block on this to see how it worked.

I built it in .260 Rem for the ballistics advantage over .308. Working on loading these bullets. 120 grain Barnes TSX boattail, 130 grain Barnes TSX flat base, 130 grain Swift Scirocco II, 140 grain Sierra soft point.

I plan on using it for deer hunting from a stand and for general playin' around. That's why the hunting bullets and not target or match stuff. I am hoping the Scirocco shoots, as the BC of that thing is .571, according to Swift.

I hung a Versa-pod on it, but I may get something different as time goes on. The Versa-pod has worked well for me, so it may stay on, too. Depends on how it works with this beast.

Large-SmallFrameARs.jpg

Here's a comparison of the large frame AR vs a small frame AR. The small frame has a 16" barrel, so the comparison is as radical as I could make it.

Fast Ed

Re: New Large Frame .260 Build Finally Done

how do you like that upper receiver? Im debating on putting the same upper receiver as well on my 260 build instead of one with a ejection cover assembly and forward assist. Also is did you get the Kreiger from Fultan Armory?

I would suggest Nosler, Remington, and Federal premium hunting offerings like the ones showcased here. These are neither all, nor possibly, even the best commercial offerings out there.

For handloads, I suggest load development with the 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and 35.0-38.0gr of H4895. Maintain a COAL of.005-.010" shorter than maximum magazine clearance. For my .308's this worked out to about 2.815". CCI 200's are adequate, CCI BR-2's should be excellent. I use Rem .260 brass, and renecked Win .243 and 7mm-08 brass with good results; purists might prefer Lapua .243 brass, but I don't consider the cost premium necessary.

Hornady SST's in Hornady Custom commercial loads have worked well for me in other chamberings; I suggest the 129gr and 140gr 6.5mm SST's for development, and suggest they like to go fast. For best results, I'd stay with a faster powder, like H4895.

With respect for handloading skills and the pride inherent in crafting one's own hunting loads; I choose to defer to the commercial concerns who have greater resources than I for working up hunting loads; and who can do the work without any bore wear overhead on my rifle.

Greg

A forward assist is almost useless on a gun used for long range hunting and shooting instead of "tactical" or military operations. Over 15 years of shooting thousands and thousands of rounds in my AR's in civilian matches and stuff, I never used it. As far as the ejection port cover, do any of your other rifles have them? If not, how often did stuff get in your chamber because you didn't have one? It is almost useless for civilian applications, too.

I got the upper, lower, bcg and barrel through Mike Bykowski at High Performance International. http://www.hpirifles.com/ He's an AR mechanic here in SE Wisconsin, and knows the guys at Krieger, which is also here in SE Wisconsin. Mike is a really good builder. This is the third AR he has built for me, and I have nothing but good things to say about his work. He has a nice side charging upper and a new proprietary cartridge on his website worth checking out.

Not saying that NBT's or SST's are bad bullets, and they do fly well for me, but they tend, IMHO, to be less durable than other bullets and my personal experience is that I would prefer to use a tougher bullet for deer. Some of the larger deer around here are legitimately over 300 lbs. and bucks well over 200 are not uncommon. I try to stick with a Super Premium as my hunting loads are not used for practice, where I shoot cheaper bullets, and I want to make sure the bullet anchors the animal and not just explodes on a shoulder blade.

Fast Ed

Awesome rifle. When you chrono it please post what kind of speed you can get.
Mike at www.hpirifles.com is a great guy to work
with. He has done work for me several times and I used one of his
custom side charging handle uppers for a Grendel build.

Nice Rifle, have you gotten out to shoot with it? How does it shoot and how do you like the JP handguard? I'd like to try one of them out but from all I've seen they look like a great platform.

JMC

As soon as I get the first rounds down range, I will file a report here. Going to do barrel break in with Sierra 120 MK's as that's what I have laying around that didn't cost an arm and a leg like the Scirocco's or the Triple Shocks.

This JP tube is the same diameter as their small frame tube. I have a competition rifle with a larger diameter tube on it and it's not as comfortable. I have the small diameter JP tube on a couple of my other AR's and I like the versatility, the cooling from the air flow throught the slots and the ease of assembly.

Fast Ed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fast Ed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A forward assist is almost useless on a gun used for long range hunting and shooting instead of "tactical" or military operations.</div></div>

I use forward assist to chamber a round while hunting. Cuts the noise to much more reasonable level. This applies to e.g. going in and out of tower type blind, certain kind of stalking etc.

Just finishing a 260Rem build with Armalite parts, and it's a shame there's no forward assist.