• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New Lathe Help

GreyWolf36

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 21, 2002
    Kansas, Oklahoma
    Gents, I'm in the process of rebuilding my SBL 13" Lathe and need some suggestions on a interim replacement lathe/backup. I have a $5K budget for the replacement/backup. If you have a solid lathe that you are currently using for you shop/business please let me know and why you would buy it.

Thanks
    Keith

Re: New Lathe Help

I have 2 Colchesters a 13" and 15". These can be found now for reasonable prices. I feel the 13" is nearly ideal for gun work. These machines are heavy, have good power 5 and 7.5 hp, are geared head will do inch and metric threading. If you can find one that isnt worn out they are pretty accurate. MY .02

I currently have (at work) a Grizzly 12" and wouldn't recommend it for precision work, but it is fine for "nuts and bolts".
    I also have an old South Bend that is still as true as the day it was made.

I've not heard much that was good about Grizzly , other than them being cheap.

ENCO Turnpro. I would highly recommend it but I only have a 3 jaw chuck and you really want a 4 jaw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Intel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently have (at work) a Grizzly 12" and wouldn't recommend it for precision work, but it is fine for "nuts and bolts".
    I also have an old South Bend that is still as true as the day it was made.

</div></div>
    +1
    If a guy can find a old South Bend thats not wore out a heavy 10 or a 13 will work well for you

I have a Birmingham 13x40 same as the jet, its small enough to do barrels through the headstock and works out well. been a machinist for 30 years, not the smoothest machine that I ran, but it really will do a fine job on chambering and threading..