• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New laws?

ericf

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2007
texas gulf coast (Pasadena)
Need clarification (if anyone knows) about new laws coming Sept. 1st for Texas.
Specifically this one,

SB 1188 authorizes a Texas resident to buy firearms, ammunition or firearms accessories in any other state, not just those contiguous to Texas, to reflect updated federal statutes.

Does this trump Federal laws that firearms can't be sold to non-residents of your respective state?

Not sure if this is the correct area to post this ?

Re: New laws?

The federal prohibition against sales to residents of other states applies only to handguns. Rifles and shotguns may be sold to non-residents, if the state law of the purchaser's state allows it.

And now, for residents of Texas, it will, which means they can buy rifles and shotguns in states which are not contiguous to Texas.

That seems strange, so if I understand this correctly, Texas residents could not purchase firearms, ammunition, or reloading components outside the state of Texas prior to this bill being passed? I do not understand the purpose of this bill if that were not the case. I am not a Texas resident, but I am pretty sure there is no registration requirement, so why would there be a law forbidding residents from purchasing firearms out of state. It ain't Commifornia, very unusual.

There was actually no such provision in Texas law. However, residents buying rifles and shotguns from non-contiguous states were having problems with the federal instant check system, because there was no explicit provision in Texas law allowing purchases from non-contiguous states.

Now there is.