• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New LD Shooter - Scope Advise Before $$ on a Class

EJ1001

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2017
I am new to precision long distance shooting and I am getting my gear together to take a class soon (maybe try a comp??). I have a .308 T3 in a chassis and two scopes to choose from. I have both a Bushnell 3x12 Mil/Mil FFP and a SS 12x Mil/Mil. I have spent the last few hours comparing them side by side for clarity, field of view, eybox, etc. To my eyes, I really can't see that much of a difference.

Pros and cons from my limited testing:

The SS has a lot more elevation I can dial, but I do like the reticle better (thinner, has the open diamonds with a dot) - however, the eyebox is a bit tighter and it is fixed power.

The Bushy, is a hair clearer and crisper, the clicks a little more positive, and it is variable mag - however the reticle is much thicker and in a busy picture, harder for me to pick out the mil bars from the half mil bars, and the scope has a lot less elevation to dial.

So, my main question is given the pros and cons desired above, what are the more important scope attributes that apply to the LD game?

Other questions:
Is the variable mag realistically helpful, or can I get away with 12x fixed and be fine?
Is there something about the Bushy that makes it better that I am unaware of?
If you were to have to choose, which one and why?

I am gambling that someone out there has used both and can share what they think...

Don't underestimate the utility of variable power.
What model of Bushnell?
The real question, is what are you doing with the rifle?
For comps and hunting, the ability to reduce magnification and increase field of view can be very important.
being able to dial down to 8X, to increase the FOV while still being able to use the reticle can be very important.
The ability to dial down to 3x for targets closer than 50 yards is also very important.

Reactions: Bender
Fixed power is fine. Pick the reticle you like better. The SWFA milquad is great for a basic mil scale.

I know a guy who shoot full two day comps and never touched his variable power scope. He placed a solid mid pack.

Nothing wrong with either but the swfa has the better erector for sure.

Fdkay,

I believe it is a Bushnell Elite Tactical G2DMR FFP Reticle Riflescope (3-12x42-mm). Use is for precision shooting at paper, steel, both at an organized range and some desert use where I can set up my own stuff. I would like to use it as an all purpose unit between 100-1000Y, maybe some PRS style comps. No hunting, I have a different rifle for that if I ever try it.

First cool guy thing to learn is... Not to use funky abbreviations like “LD” shooting :)

You need the cooler guy terms like LR, ELR or PR to sound a bit more internet savvy.

On a serious note, the powers below 10-12x are better for hunting or shorter range shooting were the field of fire might be less known and time short. In LR shooting you’ll seldom if ever need to dial lower than 12 even with heavy mirage.

Either way, if you get into it both those scope will need to find another home.