• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Left Hand Shooter, Left or Right Bolt Action

landtoy80

Sergeant
Minuteman
I just switched to shooting left handed as I am left hand dominant. I am limiting my self for rifles and accessories with the use of a left hand bolt action.
How important is it for me to get a left handed bolt action when shooting a bolt action left handed? The rifle will be mostly for bench and general plinking.

Re: New Left Hand Shooter, Left or Right Bolt Action

Eye dominance is far more important than hand dominance. Which eye is your dominant eye? I'm left handed at almost everything except shooting because I'm right eye dominant.

I would always go for the left hand bolts. Thats why they make them. Good luck

I shoot ambi, just got my first left handed rifle, like it allot.

But, that said, from years of shooting bolt guns, I can work a right-handed action faster from a left handed shooting position than I can lefty shooting lefty action or righty shooting righty action.

For bench and general plinking get a RH action but shoot it LH. I shoot a LH action RH and it is by far the smoothest operating setup I can think of. It keeps my right hand on the trigger group and maintains the whole right side of my
body in the same positions so I have very very minimal sight picture change. I can also load shells faster (I usually run it as a single shot even though it has a hinged floorplate, even do that with my DBM setups, just works for me better). I find it's a lot easier for me, any future target only rifles for me will be LH actions simply because I enjoy the setup so much. I can post some pictures if you want of how the setup runs. By the way with a .308 the bolt DOES NOT come back and hit you in the face and I have a have a huge head.

I learned to shoot a right-hand bolt left-handed but shooting a left handed rifle is so much easier to use for me both my savage and Remington are lefty

Forgot to add its fun to watch my right-handed friend shoot my lefties

Lifetime lefty shooter. I always buy and shoot RH bolt guns. I find bolt manipulation to be totally natural for me to use my RH. I dont have to take my eye off the optic and when shooting of a bag or bipod or ruck I can cycle the bolt faster than my RH counterparts. It works for me. On the plus side I can sell the rifle and not loose my ass when I try and move it. Not alot of demand for LH rifles IMHO.

Left eye dominant shooting a right hand action is far superior in all ways with the exception of positional-and even then you're not at that much of a disadvantage. So unless you are going to shoot positional all the time, you would be better off shooting a RH rifle LH. And of course vis versa is true as well.

I don't know what shooing positional is so I must not shoot that way
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But, that said, from years of shooting bolt guns, I can work a right-handed action faster from a left handed shooting position than I can lefty shooting lefty action or righty shooting righty action.

</div></div>

+1 Before you start switching bolt sides, make sure you wanna. I am naturally left handed but shoot constantly off the bench with a right bolt rifle, right handed. But almost every time I get in a hurry to shoot a critter, I shoot left handed.
eek.gif
If given a left bolt rifle to cycle in a hurry, I would be reaching for the bolt on the right side.