• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Leica Geovid Pro and AB upgrade for legacy .com products

Glassaholic

Optical theorist and conjecturer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Panhandle, FL
    Completely missed this one - being able to upgrade my 2800.com to AB is a nice feature. The new 8x32 is especially intriguing as a compact LRF bino set... beam divergence has been reduced to 1.2 x 0.5 mRad

LEICA GEOVID PRO Binoculars​

This product line does SO much more than than any prior Geovid

61e1cd75aa22ce54a849c834_8ee48a43-ddc7-4011-98f3-d2bffc068aa6.jpeg

Applied Ballistics is on board the unit

New Leica Ballistics APP will be released this week (IMPORTANT NOTE: a new Leica Hunting APP will be released in March 2022 which will allow current ".com" products - Geovid 3200, CRF 2800, CRF 3500 - to be compatible with Applied Ballistics, so current owners/future owners for these products will not be left behind).

Tremendous improvement in Bluetooth connectivity range (up to 10m)

GPS mapping with Basemaps, Garmin and other APPS/devices

Compatible with the full ecosystem of Applied Ballistics, including Apple, Garmin and other devices.

The first premium laser rangefinder binocular with 32mm objective lenses. - Approximately 2/3 the size of other LRF binos

• The first premium laser rangefinder to feature on-board Applied Ballistics solutions for elevation AND wind.

• The first premium premium laser rangefinder to feature GPS mapping via Garmin GPS products AND BaseMaps

Optics that rival any 42mm premium LRF bino in a much smaller package

• VASTLY improved BlueTooth communication range (up to 10m) and computing capability

• Built-in Applied Ballistics Ultralite provides ballistic corrections to 875m

• In-App upgradeable to AB Elite via the app -no need to connect with a Kestrel for elevation and wind corrections as far as the Geovid PRO can range

• Ballistics managed by an all-new app designed and built by Applied Ballistics

• Enter wind direction and value via the app or directly via the buttons on the binocular

• Connect with a windvane-mounted Kestrel for automatic and continuous wind updates

• Connect with a Garmin watch or Kestrel to build a target card, Kestrel for continual wind updates, or Garmin GPS or mobile device mapping app to mark target or shooter location

• Ranges real-world targets to 10-2500y

Still the toughest products- waterproof to 5m and shock proof to 100Gs

• Still the best optics- Best color, contrast, sharpness and brightness. Least eye fatigue.

• Still the best, most reliable rangefinders- range non-reflective targets farther than anyone else

• Still the best warranty offered by any premium optic manufacturer- 10 year protection against accidental damage (including electronics) 30 year warranty against manufacturer's defects in optics and mechanics

• Still the most ergonomic and comfortable user experience- More comfortable to hold, more comfortable to look through for long glassing sessions

Last edited:
    This is good intel. Hoping that Leica’s future non lrf binos have the new options available as well.

Last edited:
    I'm hoping for a winner here. Wonder if "Ranges real-world targets to 10-2500y" holds up and range/ballistics can return around Sig3000bdx speed.

Reactions: Glassaholic
    So the built in ballistics can be upgraded to Elite level via the app or does it have to be connected to the app in order to have Elite features?

So the built in ballistics can be upgraded to Elite level via the app or does it have to be connected to the app in order to have Elite features?
    Both ways work. Can upgrade via in app purchase to get elite onboard or if connected to a device that has elite then it will use the elite engine on the device.

Not sure, they say "New Leica Ballistics APP will be released this week (IMPORTANT NOTE: a new Leica Hunting APP will be released in March 2022 which will allow current ".com" products - Geovid 3200, CRF 2800, CRF 3500 - to be compatible with Applied Ballistics, so current owners/future owners for these products will not be left behind)."

From this it sounds like a brand new app is being released, they don't say "upgrade" they say "new", but either way I hope it's not just through the app but on the device itself.

Was excited for the update to the .com rangefinders, till I read this...

... with the basic Applied Ballistics Ultralight®, the world’s leading Applied Ballistics® software, to deliver precise ballistics solutions based on the measured range, equivalent horizontal range, atmospheric data and other ambient data for distances up to 875 yds (800 m).

Was excited for the update to the .com rangefinders, till I read this...

... with the basic Applied Ballistics Ultralight®, the world’s leading Applied Ballistics® software, to deliver precise ballistics solutions based on the measured range, equivalent horizontal range, atmospheric data and other ambient data for distances up to 875 yds (800 m).
    Right, why they keep crippling the solutions to shorter ranges??? Because Leica is mostly a "hunting" brand and from Europe they probably think - no hunter is going to take a shot further than 800m. Granted you can link to Kestrel and get full AB solutions at any range the LRF can range.

If only Vortex would come out with a Razor AB 5000... the Fury glass makes me fury"ous", it just doesn't excite me, but Razor UHD glass would be a welcome upgrade and serious competitor to Leica, Swaro and Zeiss

Right, why they keep crippling the solutions to shorter ranges??? Because Leica is mostly a "hunting" brand and from Europe they probably think - no hunter is going to take a shot further than 800m. Granted you can link to Kestrel and get full AB solutions at any range the LRF can range.

If only Vortex would come out with a Razor AB 5000... the Fury glass makes me fury"ous", it just doesn't excite me, but Razor UHD glass would be a welcome upgrade and serious competitor to Leica, Swaro and Zeiss
    Correct, 95% of the european and us owner will never shot past 500. I'm just glad Leica finally abandoned their on solver in favor of AB.

The Fury AB was a great start. The Sig 10K might be a good happy medium if they put better glass in it and if they ever come out.

Not sure, they say "New Leica Ballistics APP will be released this week (IMPORTANT NOTE: a new Leica Hunting APP will be released in March 2022 which will allow current ".com" products - Geovid 3200, CRF 2800, CRF 3500 - to be compatible with Applied Ballistics, so current owners/future owners for these products will not be left behind)."

From this it sounds like a brand new app is being released, they don't say "upgrade" they say "new", but either way I hope it's not just through the app but on the device itself.
    The website now show April 2022 release.

" Additional upgrades, the Applied Ballistics Sportsman® and Applied Ballistics Elite®, can be easily purchased from the Applied Ballistics® App Store. Via the Bluetooth® interface, the hunter can transfer the ballistics profile preset in the app to the Leica Geovid Pro 32. The integrated ballistics calculator and the extensive stored values from Applied Ballistics® deliver the most accurate solutions for a precise shot."

I’m excited to see these. First offering that has me considering upgrading my HD-B 2200’s.

I’ll say that the “compact” terminology is being overplayed. Unless the spec is wrong, when I looked the 8x32 were going to be 1” shorter, same width & height as my 10x42’s. Weight difference is only a couple ounces.

As much as I’m tempted to be an early adopter, I’ll probably wait to hear some optical reviews. I guess I’m a little hesitant to “downgrade” from a 42mm to 32mm since I’ll be using them in some poor lighting conditions. I’m not worried at all about the laser or ballistic solver. This is definitely an upgrade from my current HD-B’s, and I’ve had no problems using mine out to about 1,000 yards.

EDIT: to clarify, I've not had issues with the ballistic solver of the HD-B's (which is comparative garbage) out to 1,000 yards. I've accurately ranged to 2,100 yards IIRC.

Cool to see the advancements if nothing else.

Last edited:
    12x42 would’ve been nice.
    The Swaro NL Pure 12x42 really has my interest, my biggest concern is how steady I'd be able to hand hold them with the forehead brace, if I can hold them steady they'd be golden, but if not and I have to tripod mount them I'd probably go for a set of 15x56 or 18x56

The Swaro NL Pure 12x42 really has my interest, my biggest concern is how steady I'd be able to hand hold them with the forehead brace, if I can hold them steady they'd be golden, but if not and I have to tripod mount them I'd probably go for a set of 15x56 or 18x56
    I have the 12x42 nl pures. They are phenomenal! Just wishing we had something like that with a rf. You can hand hold the 12s(at least me) and be pretty steady, with and without the forehead rest. They are very comfortable to hold, even with the RRS bino cinch. Then you put them on a tripod and it gets even better. Definitely an upgrade from the 12x50 EL.

I have the 8x32 on order. I have confirmed with Leica that, as shipped with AB Lite, they will only range to 875 yards (800 meters). However, for $150 via the new app, you can upgrade to AB Elite. Then any profile you build in the app and upload to the binos will give dope as far as the rangefinder can range. It will act standalone to do that and won't need to connect to anything.

The spec sheet says measuring time is "max. approx. 0.3 sec."

The display shows yardage, elevation dope and then wind all about two seconds apart. That's the part I do not like. That's pretty much what my Fury AB does and that two seconds feels like an eternity. The Zeiss Victory RF returns the yardage and dope on one screen darned near immediately. The display in the Leica can't show that much data on one screen. I was told the US folks have a request to be able to reduce the time each 'page' is show. Something like one second per and/or being able to remove the wind from being displayed would be great.

I have the 8x32 on order. I have confirmed with Leica that, as shipped with AB Lite, they will only range to 875 yards (800 meters). However, for $150 via the new app, you can upgrade to AB Elite. Then any profile you build in the app and upload to the binos will give dope as far as the rangefinder can range. It will act standalone to do that and won't need to connect to anything.
    That is really encouraging, I wonder if AB Elite will only be available for the Pro, or if you can upgrade any of the .COM's for $150 to AB Elite?
    The display shows yardage, elevation dope and then wind all about two seconds apart. That's the part I do not like. That's pretty much what my Fury AB does and that two seconds feels like an eternity. The Zeiss Victory RF returns the yardage and dope on one screen darned near immediately. The display in the Leica can't show that much data on one screen. I was told the US folks have a request to be able to reduce the time each 'page' is show. Something like one second per and/or being able to remove the wind from being displayed would be great.
    Oh no, seriously, I want both elevation and wind to display at the same time and stay on for as long as I tell it to, this is one of the reasons I use the Kestrel link with my 2800.com because the solution stays on for a long, long time. I suppose the same can be said of the Geovid Pro, but was just hoping they would have "fixed" that issue, especially when access to the Kestrel is inconvenient.

That is really encouraging, I wonder if AB Elite will only be available for the Pro, or if you can upgrade any of the .COM's for $150 to AB Elite?

Oh no, seriously, I want both elevation and wind to display at the same time and stay on for as long as I tell it to, this is one of the reasons I use the Kestrel link with my 2800.com because the solution stays on for a long, long time. I suppose the same can be said of the Geovid Pro, but was just hoping they would have "fixed" that issue, especially when access to the Kestrel is inconvenient.
    I agree. This should all be displayed at once, with options to display velocity and energy at target distance.

Leica always seems to get 90% of the way there, but the 10% miss is always brutal. These also shouldn’t have even launched with AB Ultralite, and the messaging should be a lot clearer around how the upgrade functions.

As much as I love Leica glass, I will probably continue to hold out for the Sig10ks. Maybe I’ll see them this year…

One other item I feel could be considered a downside. There is no option for a tripod mount. You'd have to use a wrap around mount.

Reactions: WaltHer
    Pardon my ignorance but what is a wrap around mount?

Reactions: Secant
    I found the new Leica Ballistics app on my Android Play store. Looks like the current 1.0 release only works with the PRO models. Can't wait to upgrade my 3200.com to AB. I expect they will release an updated app and possible firmware upgrade for 3200.com support/upgrade soon. If anyone sees this come out or has more info, would be great to hear.

I did check the firmware on the 3200s (using the Leica Hunting App) and it shows no new updates yet.

Apple Store has the new one, too. Thanks for the heads up.

I hope that means the Pro is actually going to be available this week since it is the end of April.

Apple Store has the new one, too. Thanks for the heads up.

I hope that means the Pro is actually going to be available this week since it is the end of April.
    I just got a shipping notification for mine just a few minutes ago so seems they've just made their deadline.

I was told by a Tactix Delta user that Leicas wont actually send ranges to the garmin tactix. Has this been fixed? I just bought the sig because of that, but prefer the leica glass.

I missed the pre-order by one unit. I have to wait until the next shipment which, I'm sure, is at least a month away.

I found the new Leica Ballistics app on my Android Play store. Looks like the current 1.0 release only works with the PRO models. Can't wait to upgrade my 3200.com to AB. I expect they will release an updated app and possible firmware upgrade for 3200.com support/upgrade soon. If anyone sees this come out or has more info, would be great to hear.

I did check the firmware on the 3200s (using the Leica Hunting App) and it shows no new updates yet.

So the new app will let one purchase AB Elite for a 3200.com and no Kestrel will be needed? Full solutions out to ~3200? $150 through the app store is ok by me.

I'm torn as I'd really prefer 42mm objectives, unless the Pro 32's have worked some light transmission magic.

So the new app will let one purchase AB Elite for a 3200.com and no Kestrel will be needed? Full solutions out to ~3200? $150 through the app store is ok by me.

I'm torn as I'd really prefer 42mm objectives, unless the Pro 32's have worked some light transmission magic.
    No, read the whole thread. Per Leica now, AB Elite will only be available on the new PRO's. The 3200's would require a HARDWARE update, not a software update to run the full AB. The 3200 app will be out this summer, will supposedly improve connectivity with the Kestrel. It is supposed to be more user friendly for mobile use too.

Reactions: Cardboard55
    Interested to see if AB elite will truly work as a stand-alone like the fury's. If so I'll be trading my furys for these.

Crazy it took this long, but I wonder if the x32 Pros will be the bino that will show everyone the MINOR difference between x32 and x42. It’s so small.

If low light performance is your thing, it’s x50 or bust.

I spoke to a Leica Rep a couple weeks ago and he said that the 3200.com' will NOT be upgradeable due to hardware constraints. There will be an updated app (easier to use) that can do Applied Ballistics. The 10x42 3200.com's will be phased out and replaced by the Pro 42 series that can have it on board.

I spoke to a Leica Rep a couple weeks ago and he said that the 3200.com' will NOT be upgradeable due to hardware constraints. There will be an updated app (easier to use) that can do Applied Ballistics. The 10x42 3200.com's will be phased out and replaced by the Pro 42 series that can have it on board.

So there is a Pro 42 series coming down the pipe?

I have zero experience with Binos but feel like the Leica Pros would fit my needs pretty well (good glass / decent rangefinder etc) so gonna wait until the real world experiences start coming in to see if they are the way to go.

Will there also be Pro56 to replace the 3200.com 8x56? (only half-joking). Marketing folks make people crazy sometimes. Both inside and outside companies.

So there is a Pro 42 series coming down the pipe?

I have zero experience with Binos but feel like the Leica Pros would fit my needs pretty well (good glass / decent rangefinder etc) so gonna wait until the real world experiences start coming in to see if they are the way to go.
    That's what he said. I'm hoping to discuss everything more with him soon. I've considered selling my 3200.com and waiting for the pros or doing swaro's but not sure.

That's what he said. I'm hoping to discuss everything more with him soon. I've considered selling my 3200.com and waiting for the pros or doing swaro's but not sure.
    Swaro's were my first thought but it feels like the range finding binos are a little lacking which is why I started looking at other offerings.

By all accounts the Swaro NLs are the pinnacle of binocular optical performance but I'm trying to find something close to that level with a rangefinder.

It's a tall order from what I can tell.

Swaro's were my first thought but it feels like the range finding binos are a little lacking which is why I started looking at other offerings.

By all accounts the Swaro NLs are the pinnacle of binocular optical performance but I'm trying to find something close to that level with a rangefinder.

It's a tall order from what I can tell.
    How long ago did you check out the Swaro RF binos? I heard they really stepped up the glass on the last model (SLC to EL level). But I haven't really spent much time with them. I think that some of the software/blue tooth is most likely superior to the Leica's and maybe the Pro's will eliminate that gap? A pro shooter that I know had used most of the models and was liking the Swaro's but he also had very little time with them when I spoke to him in passing.

How long ago did you check out the Swaro RF binos? I heard they really stepped up the glass on the last model (SLC to EL level). But I haven't really spent much time with them. I think that some of the software/blue tooth is most likely superior to the Leica's and maybe the Pro's will eliminate that gap? A pro shooter that I know had used most of the models and was liking the Swaro's but he also had very little time with them when I spoke to him in passing.
    I‘ve not heard many good things about the Swarovski RFs in terms of ranging performance, much less connectivity. They’re generally panned as being worse than the Zeiss RFs, which are worse than Leica, which have been ”decent” prior to this release. Not sure how these will pan out, hopefully better!

Reactions: buster0535
    Eurooptic is closing out the older 10x42 Swaro RF 10x42

Might be nice for hunting but not longer ranges. The newer ones have Tracking Assistant and go to 2200 vs 1500

Seems like all the vendors are getting closer to the ideal RF bino.
    Really curious to see how the Leica Pro 42's or others perform. The Sig display is perfect but the glass...