• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Leica Rangemaster 2800.com & Kestrel with Applied Ballitsics

DocUSMCRetired

Applied Ballistics
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2014
Texas
www.appliedballisticsllc.com
I just thought I would share a video on how to pair a Leica Rangemaster 2800.com to a Kestrel Elite 5700. The Leica Rangemaster 2800.com can provide the Kestrel with the Range, Firing Direction, and Inclination angle. The Kestrel will then calculate the firing solution and provide that solution on its own display as well as feed that back to the Leica which will then display the hold over in the Rangefinder. This allows for remote, hands free, operation of the Kestrel in a wind vane mount or any mount for that matter while still being able to see the firing solution in the range finder.

Doc, solid post and thanks for the video.
Can you confirm if Leica will release 3000 series range finding binoculars that will y’all to the Kestrel 5700 elite?

When you say the 2800.com can provide Firing Direction does that mean it contains a compass or am I misunderstanding want that means?

Any word on populating the multiple the target card/page?

I'm very interested about populating the target card too. In another thread, Doc had said it was coming, but not now.

But that has me wondering...does the 2800.com only send the range to Target A? Can we scroll the Kestrel to Target B and have the 2800.com input the B range...and then Target C...etc. Wouldn't that populate the Target Card?

I'm very interested about populating the target card too. In another thread, Doc had said it was coming, but not now.

But that has me wondering...does the 2800.com only send the range to Target A? Can we scroll the Kestrel to Target B and have the 2800.com input the B range...and then Target C...etc. Wouldn't that populate the Target Card?

This was something that was being discussed on the Garmin 701. I cannot gurantee anything like it, I just know it was a high probability of implementation.

This was something that was being discussed on the Garmin 701. I cannot gurantee anything like it, I just know it was a high probability of implementation.
So, Doc, just to be clear...with the 2800.com as it sits now...it will only populate the Target A on the Kestrel? What happens if you scroll down to other targets?

If you press left and right and change the target in use, then it will populate the active target.

But if you are on the multi target screen then no.

Mine is running 1.24 and the 2800 integration is fast and nice ... but no mater what target I select or arrow over to only target 1 or A, is changed.

Either way it sure is nice to get the tiny Leica to display dope. Hope an update lets us work with target cards.

It provides the compass heading to the target.

Can I pair the two together, set the Kestrel up somewhere else on a wind vane mount (out of reach from my firing position) and range targets of varying DoF and get a solution without having to touch/see the Kestrel? Are firing solutions displayed in the rangefinder?

Can I pair the two together, set the Kestrel up somewhere else on a wind vane mount (out of reach from my firing position) and range targets of varying DoF and get a solution without having to touch/see the Kestrel? Are firing solutions displayed in the rangefinder?
Yes.. remotely, but only target A. I don't see using it with live wind, that's not how I use it.

If you don’t care about the wind solution. You can use it still in the holder on your belt or pack. It does send the AOF and DOF to the Kestrel along with Range.

In the 2800, it first displays, then moves to the next: RANGE, the WIND 1 followed by WIND 2. (The video is harder to see than the real thing)

2462y

26.4U

.6L

1.0R

For my gun with wind 1 @ 3 and wind 2 @ 6 for an example

I wish however it would leave the drop displayed after it cycled through the wind. If you miss it you have to hit the range button again. The display does stay on the 5700 however.

Hand held cell phone video. The solution is fast, slowed only if the range and drops are huge. will post images of the 5700 screen shortly

I walked out in the back yard to do this and a Hawk just flew off one of my Chickens!!.. Feathers to the left

Last edited:
I don't see using it with live wind, that's not how I use it.

Could you explain more about how you would use the kestrel with the RF?

Really cool photos. Thanks for sharing. Trying to decide if I want to go this route, or the ZEISS Victory RF binos. No wind solution option, but maybe that’s what I want. Would be interested to get your take.

Yes.. remotely, but only target A. I don't see using it with live wind, that's not how I use it.

-- Snip --

Diver - If you want to see feature updates, let Leica know!

Could you explain more about how you would use the kestrel with the RF?

Really cool photos. Thanks for sharing. Trying to decide if I want to go this route, or the ZEISS Victory RF binos. No wind solution option, but maybe that’s what I want. Would be interested to get your take.

PFG - Two ways to do this.

1) You have the Kestrel in a pouch or on a belt clip or on the HOG Tripod Clip etc. Then you simple range the target and it displays the firing solution in the Leica LRF.

2) You would place the Kestrel in a Wind Vane Mount, and remotely receive firing solutions as you ranged targets directly in the Leica LRF.

All firing solutions will of course display on the Kestrel as well. However in this instance you are remotely operating it and don't really need to see the display.

Reactions: jetsurgeon and PFG
My disappointment about the lack of target card functionality is because I was told at SHOT, by Kestrel, that it would populate the target card.

Last night I shoved a weathermeter weatherflow device ($60) in a Kestrel windvane mount ($50) on a small tripod, paired it with 4DOF and Strelok Pro ($12) on my iPhone. I put a box fan in front of it to simulate a 12mph wind. My dog kept walking back and forth between it, sometimes knocking the vane and/or blocking the fan. Variable wind, variable direction, perfect.

A few yards away, I was able to sit with my rifle with my iPhone. I could point the phone at various targets, input the range and shooting angle and get real-time updated firing solutions, any target, any distance, any angle, any DoF, no matter what the wind dog was doing.

Problem with this, aside from ruggedness, batteries etc... is that it was kind of a pain to set three variables (range, angle, DoF) for
each new target, although the apps make it easy with the built-in phone compass/level. Range digits were the only thing I had to really peck repeatedly at the phone for since neither app is integrated with a rangefinder.

Even better would be all that in a rugged 2 or 3 device package, without having to fight with the display interface, eg with this mounted to the side:

Diver - If you want to see feature updates, let Leica know!

PFG - Two ways to do this.

1) You have the Kestrel in a pouch or on a belt clip or on the HOG Tripod Clip etc. Then you simple range the target and it displays the firing solution in the Leica LRF.

2) You would place the Kestrel in a Wind Vane Mount, and remotely receive firing solutions as you ranged targets directly in the Leica LRF.

All firing solutions will of course display on the Kestrel as well. However in this instance you are remotely operating it and don't really need to see the display.

Will do.. do you have the project mgr or better contact than using the general website?

Wish list:
1 Cycle back to Drop - it runs past drop to fast
2 Populate Range Card -- would be use for PRS/NRL field matches - I think A/B and Lieca would both sell more units.. Although, Kestrel already has a large market share.

BTW I think he is asking why I don't use the "live" wind feature.

I don't because in most cases the wind is a amalgamation of the FFP and the inflight to the target that isn't what the FFP reads. So I tend to look at the entire picture then enter a wind value manually. That wind solution both W1 and W2 will show up in the range finder and Kestrel as shown in the video and picture.

Also, after years of looking at the wind symptoms I am usually close enough without ever exposing the impeller. However, if thing are going nuts I will use it for a sanity check. I do always have dope cards for the station I expect with temp brackets, especially in winter.

But the Kestrel is so light &small along with the 6oz Leica with 7x ok glass that fits in the palm of your hand, it is a hard combo to leave home.. even if counting ounces. Will be even more so now with the integration. This said from a die hard Vectronix/Trimble guy of the past.

Last edited:
@Diver160651 yes, that answers my question about the live wind feature and your choice not to use it.

Lots of great tech out there right now. Bluetooth in shooting optics seems to be the next phase. Trying to decide where I want to jump on: RF + Wind Meter or RF Binos + wind meter.

Will do.. do you have the project mgr or better contact than using the general website?

Wish list:
1 Cycle back to Drop - it runs past drop to fast
2 Populate Range Card -- would be use for PRS/NRL field matches - I think A/B and Lieca would both sell more units.. Although, Kestrel already has a large market share.
The upcoming Revic could be the answer, since it's software should be easy to update and therefore adapt to future requirements than a Kestrel with its firmware, I mean the basis of their design is a lot more flexible. Let's see what they come up with once it hits the shelves. Kestrel is a like an old bitch, tired and expensive.

Reactions: culater
Following up on Doc's suggestion...I did reach out to Kestrel and Leica. I do have the impression from Kestrel that they had expected the Target Card to work. There should/will be a firmware update to add the capability. But when is unknown. No response from Leica yet.

To me, creating the Target Card is great value added to the Kestrel-2800 'system.' For my workflow, I see me gathering data with the 2800, but using the Kestrel as my display of all the data. Especially, as Diver said, the numbers all flash by too quickly on the 2800. And you'd have to actually range the target, again, to get the info again. I'd rather be able to scroll through my Kestrel, look at my Target Card. Once created, the data would just be 'sitting there' offline of actually have to range the targets again.

Just wondering...does the Sig BDX system create a Target Card?

Reactions: jetsurgeon
Can the Leica, Kestrel 5700 and IPhone kestrel app be all synced. Say for example using the kestrel on a weather vane, the Leica for range, compass direction , angle of fire, and then have the data on your phone? Or am I dreaming? All using AB.

Last edited:
The connection between the 2800 and the 5700 is super fast, but.....

If you have the 5700 in any mode other than the main ballistic screen - or, (and this one gets me) have the target or wind left highlighted, the hand off from the Leica does NOT take place.

This is 100% user error, but I get caught in that trap after capturing wind.

Reactions: PFG
Are there any plans to get the Leica connected to a Garmin 701?

I've been told that the latest update to the 2800.com includes the target card functionality. Has anyone seen it? And those who do have the 2800.com...are you still happy with it?

I've been told that the latest update to the 2800.com includes the target card functionality. Has anyone seen it? And those who do have the 2800.com...are you still happy with it?

I love my 2800.com. I hit my 21"x29" steel at 1900 yards broad daylight np everytime with mine. Mine still only populates target A. I'll check if there is a new update tonight and see if it will allow more targets.

Reactions: seansmd
Just downloaded Firmware 28.18. Target Card does not synch w/ 2800.com

FYI, your 2800 should work with the target card on your Kestrel. The latest firmware includes this capability, mine works great. So if yours is giving you trouble, might call into CS as it should work.

FYI, your 2800 should work with the target card on your Kestrel. The latest firmware includes this capability, mine works great. So if yours is giving you trouble, might call into CS as it should work.

Its had that capability for awhile...its getting it to populate more than target A that we want eventually :)

Well, just tonight I populated past target E and called it good. But I don't use the target card function, I was just testing it to see how it worked, so maybe I am not understanding what you are seeing. But basically, I went into the target card screen and started ranging through the targets and it put all the info in for each one and generated a card for me that included range and DOF for each one.

What does yours do, does it only register the one range?

Well, just tonight I populated past target E and called it good. But I don't use the target card function, I was just testing it to see how it worked, so maybe I am not understanding what you are seeing. But basically, I went into the target card screen and started ranging through the targets and it put all the info in for each one and generated a card for me that included range and DOF for each one.

What does yours do, does it only register the one range?

Man I guess I will have to try again. I thought it would still only populate just target A. That is pretty sweet if they got it populating more than one!

Where and how were you able to get the firmware upgrade? I did not see anything on their site and the "Leica Sportoptics app" is not in the apple store as indicated in the manual - at least I could not find it.
It’s called Leica Hunting in apple store. U update through that. For those of you getting the target card to work, what FW are you using? I couldn’t get 28.18 to do it.

It’s called Leica Hunting in apple store. U update through that. For those of you getting the target card to work, what FW are you using? I couldn’t get 28.18 to do it.

Go to "Target Card"
"Enter"
"Enter"
"Target Inputs"
"Enter"
"scroll to target number"
Range with 2800
"scroll to new target number"
Range with 2800
etc..

edited to add: If you are testing at home make sure to range something far enough that your 2800 and 5700 will provide a solution.. The range finder might show 15yards but it will not update the target cards unless you give it something it can solve.

PLUS THE SOLUTION STAYS ON THE SCREEN LONGER - MY WISH LIST COMPLETE.... Tiny, light, fast, small beam, target cards each with it's own DOF etc --

Last edited:
Go to "Target Card"
"Enter"
"Enter"
"Target Inputs"
"Enter"
"scroll to target number"
Range with 2800
"scroll to new target number"
Range with 2800
etc..

edited to add: If you are testing at home make sure to range something far enough that your 2800 and 5700 will provide a solution.. The range finder might show 15yards but it will not update the target cards unless you give it something it can solve.

PLUS THE SOLUTION STAYS ON THE SCREEN LONGER - MY WISH LIST COMPLETE.... Tiny, light, fast, small beam, target cards each with it's own DOF etc --
Thanks. I got it to work. I see that there is a wind capture feature in the Target Card so you can change all of the outputs to match current wind. It also looks like if you change the environmentals, it will alter the outputs in the range card as well.

Last edited:
Today I ordered a 2800.com to go with my Kestrel 5700 Elite, can’t wait till it arrives. Sounds like they finally got the target card feature to work. I’ll be returning the Sig Kilo 2400 BDX I picked up last week. I was disappointed the 2400 bdx didn’t relay the direction of fire to the Kestrel, hence why it’s going back. Also not sure about the target card with the Sig either, already boxed it up so I can’t check it out. Come on UPS truck!

Today I ordered a 2800.com to go with my Kestrel 5700 Elite, can’t wait till it arrives. Sounds like they finally got the target card feature to work. I’ll be returning the Sig Kilo 2400 BDX I picked up last week. I was disappointed the 2400 bdx didn’t relay the direction of fire to the Kestrel, hence why it’s going back. Also not sure about the target card with the Sig either, already boxed it up so I can’t check it out. Come on UPS truck!

If the sig doesn't provide DOF then I would suspect the wind thing in the Kestrel might not really know how to apply itself anyway..

My main grip about the sig is that the beam is just to large

If the 2400 bdx provided direction of fire for the Kestrel I probably would have kept it, even though not knowing about the target card feature yet with the 2400 bdx. I just felt the additional step with the 2400 bdx was a pain without the DOF. Range target, then point the Kestrel towards the DOF..... just doesn’t work for me, it should all be automatic. Hoping this 2800.com is going to fix me up.

I have an 2800.com coming too! I'm looking forward to it!