• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Leofoto Anvil Copy

AIKNOWU

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2018
Figured you guys would want to see this. Recently got a Leofoto SA-324CL tripod with the MA-30 ballhead. A 15% off code makes it $424 with tax and shipping included from the Leofoto website.

This is a direct reproduction of an Anvil-30/TFCT. I used an Anvil extensively the day before I used this head extensively, and there’s really not a functional difference (other than the knob vs. lever on the clamp, obviously). Time will tell regarding durability, but this is not a “Chinese POS”.

The tripod is of typical good Leofoto quality. Leg locks lock/unlock with less than 1/4 turn.

Disassembly of the MA-30 head proves to show an identical build to the Anvil.

Looks like the MA-30 head will fit in TFCT legs, and vice versa, but I don’t have either of those things to verify.

I’m sure there will be plenty of hate, but this thing rocks. I’m not sure what else to say about it, other than it’s well worth the price.

Attachments

• Tripod1.JPG
    Tripod1.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 1,126
  • Tripod2.JPG
    Tripod2.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 870
  • Tripod3.JPG
    Tripod3.JPG
    747 KB · Views: 809
  • Tripod4.JPG
    Tripod4.JPG
    901.7 KB · Views: 892
Leofoto has no support. Enjoy replacing the plastic sleeves on your bipod legs every year or so.

Reactions: RRW and dgheriani
I'm sorry... but I just can't get behind buying a product that is a direct rip-off of a USA designed and made product.
Yeah that's me too. I just couldn't get behind supporting a rip off of American technology, and my experience with anything Chinese is that it looks good, but the materials and methods used to produce it are not the same, nor do they produce the same product.

Buying some Chinese product for light use is one thing, though I personally do not want to knowingly support them ripping us all off(and they do, and it is all of us not just rrs.), but comparing it to rrs stuff in performance and durability just seems like an exercise in futility.

I'm not an rrs fan boy by any stretch, but I truly despise the CCP now more than ever. I won't knowingly do anything to help them. Of course sometimes it happens due to our politicians selling us all down the river, and the trade agreements we have that our corrupt politicians knowingly put in place to line their own pockets, but I'm not going to join in on our own demise.

Can you even order an Anvil tripod from RRS right now?

Last time I checked, they'd removed the backorder option from their website for the TFCT and the Anvil ballhead.

Say I want to buy an "Anvil" today. My choices are to either buy the Leofoto, or sit on my hands and hope that RRS will allow me to backorder a tripod from them at some point in the future. I'm all for buying US made product, but it helps a lot if it's actually available to purchase.

Even if I have the cash and desire to buy the RRS product, I can't. That alone makes this thing enticing, even if it's just as a stop gap until the RRS product is available again.

Last edited:
Reactions: jb0311 and B-P-UU
Not at all. But to say xyz is junk because it's made in x country is pretty short sighted.

Reactions: tba and PDXGS
No it's better to send China as much money as possible, and you must bash those who sent them less. ;)

As for copies, no one here's shooting a rifle based on a Rem 700? :oops:

("the patent expired blah blah blah...")

Thank you Sir for the headsup. I proudly backordered an Anvil-30 just before Christmas, and, even more proudly been waiting for Manners TCS stock for the last 6 months. God knows when they will show up, but exercise stubbornness is too attractive LOL

No it's better to send China as much money as possible, and you must bash those who sent them less. ;)

Besides the general footprint and trigger pin location, no.
Different barrel tenon, bolt, extractor, ejector, rail, lug,,, in fact not a single piece from a rem 700 would fit on my actions except a trigger.
And extremely far from the the direct copy the OP is so happy about.

Intellectual property protection and ultimately invention rewarding is THE problem. Being Italian I know what I am saying. Welcome to the Jungle...

Reactions: Mr.BR
Leofoto has no support. Enjoy replacing the plastic sleeves on your bipod legs every year or so.

Depending on the price point it may not matter. I have spent thousands of dollars on RRS and think their warranty is BS. I've bought a few Leofoto parts and they're generally well made.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I also don’t like to support copy cats but that’s a sentiment more than a rule of mine. I acknowledge that capitalism allows for competition even if products are almost exactly the same. We NEED some competition in the tripod market regardless if it is direct copy catting.

I’m willing to bet there are a lot of hypocrites posting in this thread. Yet I don’t like to see an American company being ripped off either.

Reactions: Jjames06
We sent our product to China for manufacture and they copied it! I'm shocked, shocked I say!

That's like hiring a known pedophile as a babysitter and then being surprised...

What are you talking about? RRS is made in US

Can you even order an Anvil tripod from RRS right now?

Last time I checked, they'd removed the backorder option from their website for the TFCT and the Anvil ballhead.

Say I want to buy an "Anvil" today. My choices are to either buy the Leofoto, or sit on my hands and hope that RRS will allow me to backorder a tripod from them at some point in the future. I'm all for buying US made product, but it helps a lot if it's actually available to purchase.

Even if I have the cash and desire to buy the RRS product, I can't. That alone makes this thing enticing, even if it's just as a stop gap until the RRS product is available again.
This is where I'm at...

This is where I'm at...
That is why we need competition in the tripod market.

We have competition for everything thing else: triggers, chassis, stocks, scopes, binos, LRF, barrels, muzzle brakes, mlok accessories, etc. oh let’s not forget bubble levels in chassis. If anyone remember that debacle. Who copied who first in all these other products.

Reactions: Jcaplinger199
I've got some generic Leofoto tripods that are nice for spotters and such. They're no more an RRS knockoff than RRS is a Gitzo (or whatever carbon twist-lock tripod) knockoff. I don't want to spend $3000 on some tripods to hold my 1.8lb binoculars and a 3lb spotter. For the one I shoot off of, that's a whole different conversation.

This one and their Vyse copy are pretty blatant typical shameless Chinese counterfeits though. When you Google them they even call it "S.O.A.R." . Fuck those guys. I'm sure people will love them, though, because they're 75% less and probably work really well.

I suppose screaming on a forum about Chinese business ethics is probably not a good use of anyone's time, go ride a bike or inspect your muzzle crowns or something more useful, they're always gonna be thieving fucksticks. No shocker there.

There is some real validity to the comment about this market needing some quality competition from the US, but I really respect what RRS does here. I'm surprised the stuff doesn't cost more in a lot of cases.

Screenshot 2022-02-09 082051.jpg

Last edited:

Ew, clone actions? We shootin AI's bro

I try to avoid Chinese products when I can. I still make exceptions but the blatant copy of a product and branding is pretty low. I do hope the tripod market gets some healthy competition though.

Assembled there, sure. But where are they sourcing their carbon fiber? There aren't very many places in the world making carbon fiber tubes for tripods.
@Mr.BR
I understand your frustration as a lot of our major products are out of stock.

None of the RRS metal or polymer products are designed, machined, coated, lased, or assembled in China.

Most of the 2100 parts we make for SOAR, photography, and cinematography and distribute across 108 countries are made in Lehi, Utah.

Assembled there, sure. But where are they sourcing their carbon fiber? There aren't very many places in the world making carbon fiber tubes for tripods.
Most companies source outside US. The point is the bulk of their products are made and assembled in the US.

Maybe @MPHReallyRightStuff can answer without giving up their whole recipe.

I've got some generic Leofoto tripods that are nice for spotters and such. They're no more an RRS knockoff than RRS is a Gitzo (or whatever carbon twist-lock tripod) knockoff. I don't want to spend $3000 on some tripods to hold my 1.8lb binoculars and a 3lb spotter. For the one I shoot off of, that's a whole different conversation.

This one and their Vyse copy are pretty blatant typical shameless Chinese counterfeits though. When you Google them they even call it "S.O.A.R." . Fuck those guys. I'm sure people will love them, though, because they're 75% less and probably work really well.

I suppose screaming on a forum about Chinese business ethics is probably not a good use of anyone's time, go ride a bike or inspect your muzzle crowns or something more useful, they're always gonna be thieving fucksticks. No shocker there.

There is some real validity to the comment about this market needing some quality competition from the US, but I really respect what RRS does here. I'm surprised the stuff doesn't cost more in a lot of cases.

View attachment 7804192
I've got a Leofoto LN-404C tripod with a legit RRS Vyce that has served me well. Definitely not your typical Chinese junk tripod sold at Walmart. Very well made and It will easily support my weight and then some. Admittedly, I don't shoot matches with it in which case I could justify spending 2-3X as much for an RRS tripod.

But let's be honest, there have been carbon fiber tripods made by a variety of European manufacturers well before RRS got into the game. They don't own the patent on carbon fiber tripods.

Last edited:
Reactions: tba
Agreed. I've got a Leofoto tripod with a legit RRS Vyce that has served me well. Definitely not your typical Chinese junk tripod sold at Walmart. Then again, I don't shoot matches with it in which case I would pony up for the RRS at 2X the cost.

But let's be honest, there have been carbon fiber tripods made by a variety of European manufacturers well before RRS got into the game. They don't own the patent on carbon fiber tripods.
Yeah I wouldn’t say the tripod is what makes RRS better. It’s the hardware. The clamps. The dovetail. The attention to detail, although I wish the knobs weren’t silver. The leveling head and the anvil are simply the best at what they do.

I've got a Leofoto LN-404C tripod with a legit RRS Vyce that has served me well. Definitely not your typical Chinese junk tripod sold at Walmart. Very well made and It will easily support my weight and then some. Admittedly, I don't shoot matches with it in which case I could justify spending 2-3X as much for an RRS tripod.

No but they own the IP on an anvil 30 that was directly ripped off and I bet the probably trademarked SOAR that was also directly ripped off.