• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Leupold 15x Binocs

flatland1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2005
Western Kansas
Just noticed a new BX-5 line of 15x56 binoculars from Leupold in a Cabela's optics flier that came a couple of weeks ago. These are priced at $1400 for the plain gray ones, a little higher for the ones having camo bodies. Anyone seen, handled, or looked through these yet? I've got a set of their old discontinued Gold Ring 8x42s that are very good binocs, so am glad to see them get back into the game with some better quality glass.

Have to answer my own question, now that I've got a set of these Leupold binos. I kept watching for a deal on the BX-5s, and finally this past summer, Leupold lowered the MSRP by $250. I had $200 worth of Cabela's gift cards saved up, plus $154 worth of club points on my Club VISA card, so pulled the trigger on a pair with the gray body for under $900. Have been very pleased with the optical quality of these glasses, and having used them to score in a recent 4x600 prone match, am happy with the way they resolved bullet trace, and the lack of eye fatigue while using them. To put a point on it - no regrets, and yes, I'd definitely buy them again.

Obviously. There's a rather basic plastic tripod mounting plate with elastic velcro strap included in the box with the BX-5 binos. It's far better than nothing, but isn't as stable as I'd like. I've looked on B&H Photo's website and found almost a dozen of the mounts that have 1/4-20 threaded stem up top to mate up with the bino's threaded mount on the rear side of the front hinge. It's just a matter of picking & choosing from such a large number of choices, then I'll have something much more stable for tripod use.