• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Leupold 3-9x40 VX-R Patrol

LC201

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2011
Louisiana
Received my new Leupy earlier this week. Let me just say I'm thoroughly impressed with this little scope. Super clear glass and the firedot TMR reticle is pretty cool. Great scope for the money!

Re: New Leupold 3-9x40 VX-R Patrol

How do the turrets feel?

Thanks Mark! I have it on a Rem 700P in a B&C Medalist stock. I'll post pics tonight.

First impression out of the box is that this scope is rock solid (Which is to be expected from Leupold.). The parallax adjustment on the rear eye piece was extremely stiff at first but after a few turns it loosened up but remains solid. The turrets are tight with good positive audible clicks. My last scope was less than stellar and when setting the zero on the turrets the turret caps would not seat properly. Setting the zero on the Leupold was a breeze and the turret caps sat nice and level with ease. Shooting reloaded SMK 168gr (42gr of Varget) it took approximately 8 rounds to set the zero at 100yds. I got D.O.P.E. out to 400yds then brought it back to 100yds. Tracking was true through the whole range (100yd increments). The firedot has a wide range of illumination and on the brightest setting is easily visible in bright sunlight. When adjusting the illumination, the firedot blinks to let you know you've reached either the brightest or the lowest setting. The firedot has a motion sensor which turns it off automatically after 5 min of inactivity and reactivates it when the rifle is moved again. (I haven't tested that feature yet) It's SFP with Mil/Mil turrets (.1mil adjustments). It lacks some features of other recently released scopes in the $600.00 range (FFP, side parallax) but it's a Leupold... how can you beat that?

Nice!! Looking forward to pics of your setup
smile.gif

Aron-

cool
I have used some of the firedot hunting scopes and have been impressed with them

just got the Patrol 1.25-4 and 3-9 in as well as the HAMR and the 1-8

shwew!
Leupold has been busy

I'm big time confused! I like the look of the VX-R patrol rifle scopes, and can see on the photos posted at SWFA that elevation dial "appears" to be in .1 mils.

Not sure, I called Leupold, and gave them the product code. Their tech says the adjustment is .25 MOA.

LC201, could you possibly check the product number on the box? I'd like to order one of these, but only want it if it's mil/mil.

Thanks for the report! Jim...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Just Jim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm big time confused! I like the look of the VX-R patrol rifle scopes, and can see on the photos posted at SWFA that elevation dial "appears" to be in .1 mils.

Not sure, I called Leupold, and gave them the product code. Their tech says the adjustment is .25 MOA.

LC201, could you possibly check the product number on the box? I'd like to order one of these, but only want it if it's mil/mil.

Thanks for the report! Jim...</div></div>

Jim, the product code I have is 113771. I hope this helps.

Michael

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Just Jim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm big time confused! I like the look of the VX-R patrol rifle scopes, and can see on the photos posted at SWFA that elevation dial "appears" to be in .1 mils.

Thanks for the report! Jim...</div></div>

They are .1 mil adjustment. What I would like to know is how much elevation and windage travel is in the scope?

Aron-

Michael, thank you so much! That's actually the product code I gave to the Leupold tech. Can't blame the guy for missing one question.

I'm going to get one of these on the way as soon as I get back from Gunsite!

Cheers... Jim...

When the illumination is off, is the center of the reticle open, or is it a solid line?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When the illumination is off, is the center of the reticle open, or is it a solid line?</div></div> There's a pic of it above

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are .1 mil adjustment. What I would like to know is how much elevation and windage travel is in the scope?

Aron- </div></div>

Called Leupold support a few weeks back to inquire about the adjustment range. The guy I spoke with seemed conflicted if the adjustments were mil or moa and said the only info in their system referenced moa. 30 up / 30 down is what he told me.

I realize that. The standard mk4 TMR has a space in the center of the reticle. See below. I would like to know if this one does too. The pic above it appears to be solid but it may not show enough detail.

tmrsubtensions02.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mirnyx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are .1 mil adjustment. What I would like to know is how much elevation and windage travel is in the scope?

Aron- </div></div>

Called Leupold support a few weeks back to inquire about the adjustment range. The guy I spoke with seemed conflicted if the adjustments were mil or moa and said the only info in their system referenced moa. 30 up / 30 down is what he told me.</div></div>

Mirnyx is right. 60moa (17.5mil) total elevation adjustment and 49moa (14.2mil) total windage adjustment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When the illumination is off, is the center of the reticle open, or is it a solid line?</div></div>

The reticle is closed.

Putting together a collection of reticle pix

all at 250 yards, 9x

Leupold-VXR-Patrol-3-9-TMR-reticle-pic.jpg

Leupold-VRX-3-9x40-TMR-reticle-off.jpg

for comparison:

Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 mildot / greendot, 9x

Trijicon-Accupoint-3-9x40-green-mildot-reticle-pic.jpg

working on a lot more reticle pix

BTW, I counted 3 revolutions, 5 mils per with the Firedot

We had a few guys over yesterday evening watching the field into the evening to darkness. There were about 20 deer through the field at varying distances of 100 to 250 yards.

We could not distinguish any difference in brightness or clarity between the Firedot 3-9x40 and the Accupoint 3-9x40.

My only observation was the mil hashmarks could stand to be a tad wider than the 1/2 mils as light faded it got hard to distinguish between them. I feel the Accopoints mildots were ever so slightly easier to distinguish.

I

"We could not distinguish any difference in brightness or clarity between the Firedot 3-9x40 and the Accupoint 3-9x40." ccoker

Strange you said that because in your pics, the Leupy looks much much better...color is much better too. You cant even hardly see that powerline pole in the right half of the trijicon.

okie

I wouldnt judge optical image quality with the camera pics
To hard to get it right
Pix are more for reticles

The full size images are are our site

here's a pic of a S&B PMII 3-12x50 at the same time, at 9x
we all know the S&B is better glass
SB-3-12x50-PM2-reticle-pic.jpg

These are nifty little scopes. I was very impressed with the image quality and fit and finish of these scopes at SHOT, and this is a great option for a hunting or kicking around scope for many of us. Priced right too. Thanks for sharing this info!

Scott

LC201 very nice photos.

We have them in stock and I have been playing with one for the past few days. I'm really impressed with the illumination and the love the fact they are 1/10mill.

Mike @ CST

LC201 brought his rifle to the house and we checked it out. Very nice scope, I'm getting one for my hunting rifle for sure!

Yes it's .1 Mil. We're gonna be taking it to KY in a few days for the meet up and shoot it out to 1100.

Finish the review out there with a little video?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Like Northland said, we're gonna be putting it through it's paces this coming weekend. I'll do a follow-up review but if you have any specific questions please ask. I'll do my best to answer them.

Yes we will blow it up with tannerite and throw it off a building... I know ya'll were wondering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes we will blow it up with tannerite and throw it off a building... I know ya'll were wondering.</div></div>

We'll do that with yours when it comes in.

You should do it with both to get a better sample size. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should do it with both to get a better sample size. lol </div></div>

I actually might get the 1-4 they have after seeing his. I own S&B, PH, NF, MK4, and had a USO before, and I really like this scope. It does everything you'd expect.

I am going to put the 3-9 on a hunting rifle
Nosler Trophy grade in 280ai

Plan to run the 1-.25-4 on my WC 556
My initial impressions are good
Even though it is not a true 1x I find it fast up close and not finicky on eye position

Ok guys, I'm back from RCSC. This little Leupold performed flawlessly. We were looking at 12" gongs at 1000yds and could see them clearly...even with significant heat shimmering. The scope tracked beautifully from 400 to 950. Using a 20 MOA base I topped out my elevation at 950yds but was still able to send rounds out to 1000yds with plenty of holdover left on the reticle. I think Leupold has a winner here in the $600 price range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccoker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, I counted 3 revolutions, 5 mils per with the Firedot</div></div>
The pictures show 6 mils per rev.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAGunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3-9 SS is FFP, this one is not.</div></div>
This is illuminated, SS is not. What's your point?

Do they come with caps on the turrets?

All of them I see on swfa show no markings on their turrets. It also looks like the 4-12 also has no parallax adjustments?

All-in-all looks like this might be a nice little optic!

I ordered a 3-9 Patrol today. The scope will be going on my 6.8 ar rifle. I will post pics once I get it.

John

You can go back and forth on the SS 3-9 and this one.

The SS if FFP and this one is not. Think about how often you will be shooting on 9 power. If you don't plan on using 8 or less... then FFP doesn't matter much.

But the VX-R is illuminated. If you don't care about that... get the SS.

So I guess pick which feature you want more, Illuminated or FFP.

Personally I'd go with the VX-R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have you compared it side by side with the 3-9 SS?</div></div>

No, not the 3-9 but I did have it side by side with a fixed 10. The Leupold was slightly clearer.