• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Leupold Mark 5 models announced

Seems like a nice scope but I don't know why they go with a 35mm main tube since everything else is either 30 or 34mm. When it comes to illumination it is nicer to have it and rarely use it then to not have it at all and it should not be an added $ option.

Mine had 27 mil of elevation left after I zero'd it. So my guess is they did it for the extra elevation.

So I see a LOT of the MK5 3-18 for sale used... that usually isn't a good sign. I've personally never handled one and I am interested in the size and weight for the features but why so many offloading?

So I see a LOT of the MK5 3-18 for sale used... that usually isn't a good sign. I've personally never handled one and I am interested in the size and weight for the features but why so many offloading?

There's even more Razor 2s being sold, and they are solid. You never see Tascos being sold. People sell because they have optics adhd.

Naive to think this thing cost more than a few hundred for Leupold to produce. If you consider a $500 premium fair (that effectively no other manufacturer charges to the same exponential degree), then all the best to you.
I'm sure the illumination feature costs less than the $500 that Leupold is asking for it. But then again, who ever sells product or features at cost?

Everything, and I do mean everything, you buy has a markup/profit margin built into it. Not just the base product but also any options.

Only an idiot sells things at cost.

Reactions: gamewarden
Looks like a 7-35 VX5hd model as well as a 4-20x52, both are shown on Europtic.

Need to wait until the full specs are out, but my first impressions are of confusion.
The 4-20 is said to have a 34mm tube, which I feel is a mistake as well as being priced at $1700.

I really don't know who this is being aimed at, the price puts it in a bracket much higher than the rest of the VX5hd range, it'll more than likely be SFP which I think is good for hunting, but not for $1700.
Why would they go for a 34mm tube?
I don't really want a 34mm tube on a hunting scope, it seems to be putting it very close to the Mark 5hd 3.6-18.

I think their is a big market for a 4-20 hunting scope/light tactical scope, but not sure this what people have been asking for.
Will have to wait till the full specs are out, but at this stage I'm far more excited to see the upcoming Burris XTR3.

Any chance of them adding .2 to the TMR?

I don’t use any of the current Horus offerings and also not a fan of CCH reticle.

Adding .2 to TMR would get a buy from me on the 7-35. Especially if the parallax goes to 25 or less.

Any chance of them adding .2 to the TMR?

I don’t use any of the current Horus offerings and also not a fan of CCH reticle.

Adding .2 to TMR would get a buy from me on the 7-35. Especially if the parallax goes to 25 or less.

Just grab the Schmidt High Power with h2cmr.

Looks like a 7-35 VX5hd model as well as a 4-20x52, both are shown on Europtic.

Need to wait until the full specs are out, but my first impressions are of confusion.
The 4-20 is said to have a 34mm tube, which I feel is a mistake as well as being priced at $1700.

I really don't know who this is being aimed at, the price puts it in a bracket much higher than the rest of the VX5hd range, it'll more than likely be SFP which I think is good for hunting, but not for $1700.
Why would they go for a 34mm tube?
I don't really want a 34mm tube on a hunting scope, it seems to be putting it very close to the Mark 5hd 3.6-18.

I think their is a big market for a 4-20 hunting scope/light tactical scope, but not sure this what people have been asking for.
Will have to wait till the full specs are out, but at this stage I'm far more excited to see the upcoming Burris XTR3.
I don't see anything about the 4-20. Can you post a link?

I will buy another illuminated 5-25 Mark 5 when they cost less than what I can buy a used Minox ZP5 for, the Minox really are that much better imo but I really liked the Mark 5 I had as well.

I was really hoping to see a new .2 mil hash reticle with a Christmas tree option. I like the Mark 5HD line but their high cost for illumination and lack of a decent .2 mil reticle has me looking elsewhere. Putting out a 7-35 to compete with the popular Nightforce was a smart move on their part, I foresee this becoming the "poor mans" NF 7-35.

And dangit @beetroot you really had me excited about a Mark 5HD 4-20 with 34mm tube! Now that would have been something for me to get excited about :)

I will buy another illuminated 5-25 Mark 5 when they cost less than what I can buy a used Minox ZP5 for, the Minox really are that much better imo but I really liked the Mark 5 I had as well.

Yes, the optical performance of the minox is in the Schmidt realm, and close to Tangent. And at what they sell for, both new and used, it's a lot of scope for the money.

Hmm...I was almost set on a 7-35 ATACR, but the mk5 7-35 sounds intriguing.

If it matters (probably doesn’t unless shooting .22), keep in mind the leupold probably won’t focus very close if they keep the same specs as current Mk5.

I just received my mk5 5-25x56 with the new pr-1 MOA reticle. I've gotta say I'm super impressed.
I compared it at low light with a zeiss v6 and it killed it.
I could still see the non illuminated reticle at 16 power and above after dark, while the Zeiss was a blurry mess.
Looking forward to getting it mounted.

I was really hoping to see a new .2 mil hash reticle with a Christmas tree option. I like the Mark 5HD line but their high cost for illumination and lack of a decent .2 mil reticle has me looking elsewhere. Putting out a 7-35 to compete with the popular Nightforce was a smart move on their part, I foresee this becoming the "poor mans" NF 7-35.

And dangit @beetroot you really had me excited about a Mark 5HD 4-20 with 34mm tube! Now that would have been something for me to get excited about :)

Sorry, I wish it were true.
I'm interested to see what the specs of these VX5s are as well as the reticle options.

I'm really hoping Leupold have a few more changes/announcements at Shot Show, at the moment I feel like their VX5hd and Mark 5hd ranges are 90% of the way to being perfect scopes, but things like reticles (mostly reticles) are letting them down.
With the drop in MAP on the Razor Gen 2 and the Burris XTR3 coming out, I feel like Leupold have some very stiff competition.

Sorry, I wish it were true.
I'm interested to see what the specs of these VX5s are as well as the reticle options.

I'm really hoping Leupold have a few more changes/announcements at Shot Show, at the moment I feel like their VX5hd and Mark 5hd ranges are 90% of the way to being perfect scopes, but things like reticles (mostly reticles) are letting them down.
With the drop in MAP on the Razor Gen 2 and the Burris XTR3 coming out, I feel like Leupold have some very stiff competition.
The beginning of this thread mentioned more announcements on 01/21 which is the start of SHOT, I'm sure we'll know more then, but it seems like Eurooptic already has the new scopes listed, I'd be surprised if we see something more than the 7-35 from the Mark 5HD line. SFP scopes don't have much appeal for me anymore so the VX 5HD is a meh, but I'd love to see that 4-20x52 get the Mark 5 FFP treatment, doubtful though since they already have the 3.6-18x44, but I think the 4-20x52 has a better objective and magnification and I'd prefer a 34mm tube.

Last edited:
I just looked on eurooptic and didn’t see the 4-20 listed. Interesting scope for sure and I will be waiting to see the specs on that one before picking up a scope.