• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Leupold Reticle

Shane8820

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2018
New Brockton, AL
Seems like I remember someone mentioning Leupold was working on a new reticle during a podcast over the last few months. I can’t remember exactly who (Jon Pynch?). Does anyone have any info on this?

Anyone heard anything lately about this? I sure hope it is worth the wait.

It’s worth the wait

I doubt it, how hard can it be to design a reticle that isn't a plain cross but also isn't a mosquito net.
Half the forum members here could've drawn one for them and had it in scopes when the Mark 5hd launched.

I like Leupold scopes but their marketing/pr/design team/competitive shooting consultants must live in a different galaxy to the ones that work for every other optics company.

And their illumination cost is just ridiculous.
And their upcharge for the CCH reticle they designed is ridiculous.
And the FOV in the Mark 5hd is shit compared to that in the Mark 6.
And the 35mm tube in the Mark 5 means I need to buy a new mount instead of using one I already have.

Reticles are very personal so it's hard to design something that everyone is going to like but so far I've been extremely pleased with this one. The design is a streamlined tree that's more open for a less cluttered sight picture for better target acquisition and impact tracking. Designing a reticle seems pretty simple but does come with challenges as well as making sure dimensions come out properly on the actual scope itself.

Reactions: Garett73
Ah, yes....I rather got that but since we are talking about an as yet not released reticle design, I’m wondering how he could be:

:censored:
16731021_2493369547356687_801298638_n.gif

I'm "patiently" waiting to see this reticle, there a lot I like about the mk5 but none of the available reticles give be the warm and fuzzy. I dial 99% of my shots but like to have a minimal tree.
Any clues as to what the horizontal stadia offers at least?

Reactions: 5RWill and Basher
I'm "patiently" waiting to see this reticle, there a lot I like about the mk5 but none of the available reticles give be the warm and fuzzy. I dial 99% of my shots but like to have a minimal tree.
Any clues as to what the horizontal stadia offers at least?

same here.....I have cash on hand!

The Custom Shop is closed with no ETA. Probably why no progress on their part.

I've been waiting almost a year to have the reticle changed in one of my scopes.

And........

They've updated the TMR to have 1/3mil hashes and a @ symbol for a centre dot.

Called it the CCCHTR69
Compact Combat Competition Hunter Tactical Reticle.

They asked 69 guys on Facebook what they wanted and thats what they've design
Only cost an extra $69 for non illuminated or $669 for illumination which has 69 different color options.

It's taken this long to make due to the quantum laser technology they use too etch the reticle suitable for so many colours.

They've updated the TMR to have 1/3mil hashes and a @ symbol for a centre dot.

Called it the CCCHTR69
Compact Combat Competition Hunter Tactical Reticle.

They asked 69 guys on Facebook what they wanted and thats what they've design
Only cost an extra $69 for non illuminated or $669 for illumination which has 69 different color options.

It's taken this long to make due to the quantum laser technology they use too etch the reticle suitable for so many colours.

that's it? i thought it was a PRS style reticle.

That is the PRS reticle.
The scope will say PRS on the side so you can tell it's for PRS and not normal duty use.

That'll definitely end the confusion! But will end the excuses for misses "oh I don't have a PRS scope....."

For real though.....if anyone has insight on a time frame, I'd really love to know. I want to upgrade my scope and pretty decided on a MK5. Have cash. But if it's going to be launched soon, I will wait to see it. "In the near future" or "soon" can be longer than I wanna wait lol.

If I was a betting man, is say SHOT show? But then when's it actually available??

If I was a betting man, is say SHOT show? But then when's it actually available??

Always wait for shot show if practical, don't if it's going to stop you from shooting now.

Burris (supposedly) has the illuminated SCR2 scopes available next year, there is rumours of a new Vortex offering soon(ish), the new Minox LR is slowly getting reviews, Athlon has a new Cronus option due in October, and Leupold has the new CCCHTR69 reticle on the way (although even less reliable that Burris).

A few of us just received the latest version of the new mil Reticle which will hopefully be the last revision before they go into production. Leupold will be the Gap Grind this weekend showing off the new reticle for those interested in checking it out. Jon will also be at the Rock Lake NRL match with it as well for those that want to check it out if you're in the area or at the match.

For those in Norcal that want to check it out in person send me a PM!

Last edited:
Great news...hopefully they will allow a picture or 2. Being this is still being finalized I'm guessing this will be a 2021 thing. Now I hope they will offer the Mark 5HD's in FDE!

Thanks for the update.

Reactions: aku
A few of us just received the latest version of the new mil Reticle which will hopefully be the last revision before they go into production. Leupold will be the Gap Grind this weekend showing off the new reticle for those interested in checking it out. Jon will also be at the Rock Lake NRL match with it as well for those that want to check it out if you're in the area or at the match.

For those in Norcal that want to check it out send me a PM!
so who is gonna sneek us a pic of the reticle @ GAP?

Reactions: gamewarden
I'm sure Leupold needs to vet this reticle, but good lord, we've been teased with this release for a year now.
Honestly, the G-14 classified crap is kinda rubbing me wrong. I've moved past the mk5 because the reticles suck. I'll keep on running my Burris XTRIII's. I've bought and sold 2 mk5's trying to love them but Leupold isn't doing themselves any favors. Hopefully it's worth the wait; although I'm not sure how game changing the one-thousanth and one rendition of a mil reticle is going to be.

That is the PRS reticle.
The scope will say PRS on the side so you can tell it's for PRS and not normal duty use.
It will also be the official reticle of PRS.

Like others, I’m tired of the top secret crap. It’s not like it will be drastically different than anything else out there. It’s a reticle, there are limitations to the impact it can make. Either way, it probably won’t be a “game changa!”

Last edited:
Curious as well, been patiently waiting for awhile now. Couldn’t make the gap/grind but hope to have someone that got to see it compare/explain it to us. Are there any leupold east coast prs guys besides doug? I think he runs the lrp for production class

Let it be a hybrid mil xt and a smkr3, I just hope it has 0.2 mil spacing(skmr)between the center dot and the next hash. I don't like the 0.1 mil(mil xt) that NF has, it's a bit tight. Who holds 0.1 mil of wind? Nobody they just hold edge of plate.

......Mil-XT is all .2 hashes.

Also, people “holding edge” are doing it wrong. There’s many times you will be holding .1 to center to keep your rounds into the center of the plate. Another reason most people are mid-low pack shooters.

Did any of the leupold reps happen to say when they would release it?

Did any of the leupold reps happen to say when they would release it?
I asked this question today with a leupold rep and he said nothing imminent... Maybe a reveal at shot show. I have to believe that if they show it off at shot (if that even happens) it would probably take a few months to actually start shipping orders. JMO.

Anyone that has seen the reticle care to “compare or relate” to the closest reticle from another manufacturer?

......Mil-XT is all .2 hashes.

Also, people “holding edge” are doing it wrong. There’s many times you will be holding .1 to center to keep your rounds into the center of the plate. Another reason most people are mid-low pack shooters.

Everyone who's anyone just holds edge of target.
60% of the time, it works, everytime.

Very unobstructed. The .25 has always thrown me off. But it really shouldn’t matter much.

Very unobstructed. The .25 has always thrown me off. But it really shouldn’t matter much.

Me too, probably doesn't make a difference but it doesn't seem right.

Why only horizontal markings every 2mil down the tree?
I can't think of a use case that this does anything other than hinder accurate holds?

Me too, probably doesn't make a difference but it doesn't seem right.

Why only horizontal markings every 2mil down the tree?
I can't think of a use case that this does anything other than hinder accurate holds?

IMO, a tree is a utility. So something like this that is less obstructive isn’t bad. I probably only use a tree a few times a year, when I’m forced to.

If someone wants to hold mainly and not dial much, Reticles like CCH, h59, AMR are all very precise. And reticles such as the Zco mpct3 are very good dial or hold all hybrids.

This reticle IMO, is for the guys who want less than the cch, but still the utility to hold. You rarely have to shoot a small target with a hold (unless you choose to), so precision holds aren’t really a big deal.

This reticle should fill a gap in leupold’s current reticle selection. Better than the TMR but not as busy as a CCH. Plus with the H59 and T3 a person has a good selection overall. Never going to have just one reticle that everyone likes.

Reactions: Dthomas3523