• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New life for 303 rifles

Hummer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2009
SC Cradle of the Confederacy
I got a 30/303 RCBS FL die about 30 years ago in a trade and with one thing leading to another I decided I needed a reamer and a rifle to go with them. Basically it is a 303 FL die but neck reduced to size and hold 30 cal bullets.

I got a Elliott 303 Brit reamer on ebay and had the neck/throat reworked for 30 cal bullets with a 2 1/2 deg throat so the loaded round will be at the rifling on bolt close rather than the bullet having to map out a course of action between the case and the start of the rifling.

Built a rifle on P14 action using an No 7 contour 30 cal barrel and I headspaced it to just close on a Winchester 303 unfired case as I did not want the shoulder moving forward on firing and shortening the case life in the process. It shot 3/4" with first load I tried using Sierra 168 MKs.

Thusly I can set my FL die to just touch shell holder and the shoulder is only moved about .002" back to "unfired" position which will increase the case life tremendously.

In the process now of doing the same thing to a No 4 I obtained that was suffering from an extreme case of Corditus and lack of TLC.

I read a print article written in 80s wherein it describes a heavy barrel "under the wood" configuration for the No 4. Anybody ever seen such? If so how heavy or oversize was it "under the wood"?

To be sure I am fully aware of the fact that should I chamber a milsurp 303 with .311+ bullets things can get exciting but I have enough brass to keep me going for years if I don't lose it to big chambers and massive shoulder movement shortening their life span due to oversizing.

I took this into consideration with my configuration and thusly a milsurp 303 round won't chamber either as the bullet hits the shorter new cut .3085 throat bringing things to a quick halt before the bolt starts to turn. Thusly a 303 won't even chamber.

As well a couple months ago I picked up a P14 that someone had made into a 303 Epps and did a spiffy little job of sporterizing it removing the ears and cutting barrel back to about 20" and shortening the stock and a very nice job of installing a recoil pad and it fits me perfectly.

With 303 Epps FL dies being a mint I think I will just rebarrel it and make it into a Scout Rifle configuration which in all liklihood will shoot as well as the first rifle I built utilizing a new barrel rather than the military barrel which were never known for good accuracy.

Re: New life for 303 rifles

I'd like to see some pictures of your endeavor, sounds like a fun project. My dad had a client who wanted a 7mm/303 Brit about 10 years ago before this current 7mm craze. He was shooting it in some competition class and said "just don't tell anyone about my little project".

I have a feeling he was running the 7/303 as a "303" against everyone else shooting 174gr .311's and skirting by with nobody looking that closely at his ammo.

The problem with most all the 303 conversions is the dies are very expensive these days.
I designed three new cartridges based on 303 about six years ago and the dies are cheap as any you will find.
First was the 306 Confederate Sabre. To make this I had Dave Manson take a 30.06 reamer and take the base down to .454" so it would take the 303 Brit cases and fit snug enough so not to swell badly as many are noted for. The dies are even easier. You just take 30.06 FL dies and cut .170" off the bottom of the dies and you are good to go.
Cases are fireformed and headspace gage made from case run in the altered dies. Just run the reamer in till the altered case closes hard and you are there. Cases are then fireformed and you have a 303 base and 30.06 neck,shoulder/throat. Fireformed case will hold another six to seven grains of propellant.

Same thing on 7MM Confederate Sabre, took a 7 Mauser reamer and had base reduced to .454 and they are loaded with standard unaltered 7 Mauser FL dies. cases are fireformed

Last was the 6.5 Confederate Sabre which utilizes a 6.5X55 reamer taken down to .454" base and loaded with 6.5X55 dies.Cases are fireformed.

Must have sounded really unique as the Royal Armouries Museum in England asked me to submit fired cases sized with bullets and no primer/powder etc for their collection and I did. Somebody else wanted some for a ammo book they were writing.

I have just got back into highpower and think I will pull out the P14 in 30/303 and shoot it in some long range matches.

I finished chambering it this morning and it headspaced about .013 short of reamer shoulder contacting back of barrel. Bolt snugs on new unprimed case thusly I won't have to worry about forward shoulder movement to think of.

I thought the receiver ring was going to require squaring but to my surprise when I torqued it up it took off the marker coat 360 and butted up nice and snug with no high spots.

It is going to be lots more work as I am going to turn the barrel so it will fit nice and snug at sling swivel and same size at front end under handguard to retain the up tension.

The standard barrels were "packed" at those spots so I can dispense with the packing and just turn the barrel to where the stock clamps it tightly mid point.

Final thing will be to cut a chamber so my MO GAGE cap can be used so I will know exactly how much the shoulder does move on firing/sizing.

I noted the Remington 303 cases are smaller at base than the Greek 303 cases so I guess I will have to take cases fireformed in P14 and use them in this rifle.
This will give me much less case expansion down at the web and give me longer case life.

I just hope will all this work it will "shoot". Got no idea who made the barrel but it is a buttoned barrel and not marked like any I have had prior. Looks like whoever did it knew what they were doing which I can't say the same for another couple of barrels I got.

I finished chambering it yesterday and as bolt closes the shoulder contact the case. If I had prceeded as normal and headspaced the case head the shoulder of the case/chamber would have been .013" apart.
This should get me much more case life.