• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New life for old brass?

Fred @ Bison Tactical

Bison Tactical
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 18, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    www.bisontactical.com
    I need some ideas. Also - this is for the future, not dependent on current reloading component availability, so I know things are difficult to find...

My question is, I have some older 6mm Dasher brass (Lapua fireformed BR brass). I shot CCI 450's in this, and some of the primer pockets are getting loose. I know some primers are "wider" or fit tighter into the pockets than others. Are they any that fit more tightly than the CCI 450's so I can take up some of the space that is widening due to these cases getting old (being shot hot)?

My Dasher brass never really grew longer, so I am not too worried about case head separation.

Fwiw, I started this thread years ago. I still use this operation to this day.
    Give it a shot. Not much to loose.

Fwiw, I started this thread years ago. I still use this operation to this day.
    Give it a shot. Not much to loose.
    Will the same size bearing work with small primer pockets you think?

One way to find out. I'd maybe buy a smaller one to try, see which one is better.

Someone made a tool to tighten primer pockets. I think they posted about here when Snipershide was with Scout. I don't remember what they called it.

I actually tried this a while back with some 338 edge brass that I got slightly carried away with.
    It works!
    I use a 5/8 ball I think and a drill blank with a brass bushing to keep it aligned and not banging on the neck.

I bought some pin gauges to measure the pockets.

I notice the CCI military stuff with the harder cup seems to fit tighter than the regular primers. I ordered some off brownells not long ago.