• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Light APA (now w/ range report)

maladat

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
TX
Lately I have gotten pretty into smallbore silhouette. I have some very accurate 22 rifles and some very accurate AR-15s, but until now, no precision bolt guns (an interesting assortment of factory hunting rifles, though). I decided to remedy this and have a rifle built that would be suitable for hunting to medium range, target shooting at long range, and also comply with the high power silhouette hunting rifle rules (and actually be practical to shoot in silhouette matches - which basically means comfortable to shoot offhand). Hunter class silhouette rules require the unloaded rifle to weigh less than 9lbs (as well as some other fiddly stuff).

To this end, I gathered parts:

A Defiance Machine Rebel short action receiver (basically a custom Rem 700 action) with the widest available loading port and fluted bolt for weight savings
Huber Concepts 2-stage trigger (from the Hide GB)
A Brux #4 sporter 8.5" twist 6.5mm barrel (thanks to bugholes)
A Robertson Composites Silhouette stock (these are all carbon fiber and the lightest stocks around - under 2 pounds with a Pachmayr Decelerator pad and flush cups for sling mounting. It also has some T-Nuts in the forearm to mount a bit of rail for my Atlas bipod)
Pacific Tool and Gauge aluminum BDL bottom metal
Murphy Precision titanium 2-piece 20 MOA bases
Nightforce Ultralite Rings
March 3-24x42 FFP Scope

The March scope is a little heavier than what is used on most silhouette builds (weighs 23 oz) but I wanted an FFP mil-based variable magnification scope and it was the best option. It is very compact and it is a hell of a scope. I know it looks like it is mounted pretty high. Part of that is because it is a 42mm objective scope instead of a 50mm objective (makes it look high), and part of it is because the comb of the stock is so high and the butt is so low (which is ideal for shooting offhand but requires the scope to be mounted higher than a regular stock).

When I got all the parts together, I shipped them off to American Precision Arms (APA) in Georgia. Unfortunately, they got everything done and shipped back to me FASTER than their already very reasonable estimate, so I don't have any ammunition or reloading supplies and can't go shoot the rifle until ammo arrives.
frown.gif

They chambered the barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor, threaded it for a suppressor and provided an "invisible" thread protector, installed the barrel, coated the barreled action in OD Green Cerakote, bedded the action to the stock, and all that stuff. The barrel came out at 20" exactly to make weight. Initial impressions are that it looks to be a hell of a rifle. I will go out and shoot it hopefully some time next week and will report back with results.

apa65left.jpg

apa65actionleft.jpg

apa65right.jpg

apa65actionright.jpg

The invisible thread protector (believe it or not there is a seam about 3/4" back from the muzzle):
apa65muzzle.jpg

Re: New APA Light Hunting/Tactical/Silhouette Build

Very nice! Looking forward to hearing a range report

I like it!!! Something different for a change. Wish I had a lightweight short barreled precision rifle.
cry.gif

That is scary close to what I'm gathering parts for, even down to the scope. Great minds think alike.

Beautiful rig. I'm also building a rifle with silhouette in mind. Manners MCS-T, Defiance single-shot, CG trigger, Krieger barrel. We differ in scope choice, but you already highlighted that. Beautiful rig, let us know how it shoots.

Awesome rifle and very informative thread, helped me discover some new products, thanks. How close is it to that 9 lb limit? How does the stock feel/fit in a prone position?

The rifle weighs in at 8.9 lbs. The stock is comfortable prone, but it needs a little more bipod height up front than a dedicated prone stock that doesn't have as much drop at the butt.

What was the total cost on the rig: Parts + Smith work?

Ugh, a lot. A lot of the parts were ordered over the phone so I can't just look up amounts in email receipts like I usually do.

Not counting the scope the parts probably total about $2500 with about $1200 of smith work.

Missed this:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beautiful rig. I'm also building a rifle with silhouette in mind. Manners MCS-T, Defiance single-shot, CG trigger, Krieger barrel. We differ in scope choice, but you already highlighted that. Beautiful rig, let us know how it shoots.</div></div>

Yeah, if I could build all the rifles I ever wanted, this one would have a ~16oz scope like a Weaver T24 or one of the light Leupold variables and the weight savings would go towards a 26" barrel, but I'm not THAT serious about silhouette and I really wanted a multipurpose rifle.

I had one build to almost the exact same specs except used a 700 action last year.
Mine is in an XLR stock now since I don't have anywhere to shoot highpower silhouette :^))

That rifle was a fun project to watch. Certainly different than a lot of builds that come through the shop.

David Walker did all the work except for the coating on this. Chad did the coating. Since weight was such a big issue Dave would cut the barrel a little and then go weigh everything. Cut & weigh, cut & weigh.

Dave really does amazing work and everyone in the shop felt the rifle just balanced great.

Thanks for the pics and the info you provided here.

Mark

Dave is a true craftsman indeed!
maladat,
I hope your APA 6.5CM shoots as good as the one they built for me. It printed a 1 3/4" group at 520 yds from a bipod a couple of weeks ago with 130 Berger VLD an RL17.

Thanks for the info, Mark!

Ammo should get here tomorrow, but I probably won't be set up for reloading for at least a couple of weeks. I'll probably get out to shoot on Thursday or Friday.

Well, I got out to shoot yesterday. It was pretty windy (5-15mph from 7 o'clock) and 86 degrees F. I just got an Oehler 35P chrono and used it for the first time. Easy to set up, easy to use, nice piece of equipment. My groups shooting off the bench (bipod and rear bag) through the chrono were not very good, but they tightened up a fair bit when I went prone (still bipod and rear bag). I shot one ten-shot group with each of the two Hornady AMAX factory loads, which are pictured below, no picking and choosing groups. Because I was trying different loads (also intended to shoot the 129gr SST factory load, but didn't get around to it), I didn't bother with adjusting the scope to get everything zeroed perfectly, but obviously the two loads shoot to very close to the same POI.

I chronographed the Hornady 120gr AMAX factory ammunition at 2890fps. The load recipe is on the box, but I don't have a box handy. I came across what purports to be the recipe online, but haven't verified it and anyone uses it at his or her own risk: 120 A-Max @ 2.715" OAL, 39.0gn Varget, 210M.

120tgt.jpg

I chronographed the Hornady 140gr AMAX factory ammunition at 2690fps. Again, I don't have a box handy, the same use-at-your-own-risk reference I found on the internet states this load is 140 A-Max @ 2.810" OAL, 41.5gn H4350, 210M.

140tgt.jpg

I shanked one, knew I had before I even looked at the target.
frown.gif
This one would have been about 3/4 MOA also without the flier.

Not bad for factory ammunition, and the velocities are a little better than I was expecting out of the 20" barrel (Quickload puts this load at 2560fps?). In yesterday's weather, the 140gr load would have been supersonic to 1300 yards and the 120gr load to 1200 yards.

I am sure the rifle is capable of better groups, but I'm not, yet. Subjectively, it felt like my biggest problem was bounce from pulse. Objectively, I am sure my biggest problem was trigger pulling.
smile.gif
I was having a little trouble with position, as evidenced by the fact that the gun was twisting left when I shot. Need to work on that. I am a member of the SH Online Training and will be reviewing that info. If anyone has any advice on the pulse issue I would like to hear it. Didn't seem to matter whether I put my weight on my stomach or on my chest or where in the breathing cycle I was.

Forgot to post these... on another forum someone asked for photos of the muzzle threading and thread protector, so I took some. Nice machining!

thread2.jpg

thread1.jpg

That muzzle threading job is outstanding!