• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors New LMT suppressor with zero back pressure?

Bakwa

Prophetic Marksman
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2017
    FL
    Anyone heard anything about this new ION 30 by LMT?
    They advertise no barrel minimums, full auto rated, zero back pressure, MSPR $899, seems too good to be true.
    I've been getting adds for it in my work email, but haven't heard anything else.

I like that it has 1.375x24 mounting threads. You always wonder about the low back pressure vs sound suppression. I've been contemplating a hard use, low pressure option and had pretty much decided on the sandman but this looks good at first sight.

Reactions: Bakwa
    If "backpressure" reality means "restriction of flow", then someone will need to walk me through the physics of suppressing an impulse noise with no flow restriction :unsure:

Last edited:
    If "backpressure" reality means "restriction if flow", then someone will need to walk me through the physics of suppressing an impulse noise with no flow restriction :unsure:

I'm guessing the actual suppression is the tradeoff here. They went the RC2 type route.

Why is this not on their regular site? Would like to see some testing on it. Price point is interesting being LMT

If "backpressure" reality means "restriction if flow", then someone will need to walk me through the physics of suppressing an impulse noise with no flow restriction :unsure:
    I think back-pressure is better functionally defined as an extension of dwell time. The bullet has exited the barrel, but with most suppressors the pressure in the barrel (and gas tube) remains high until after the bullet exits the suppressor, causing excess gas to continue to vent into the receiver. A suppressor with a large internal volume can accomplish both good sound suppression and a quick drop off of pressure between the time the bullet exits the muzzle and the time it exits the suppressor.

Do you think this was made in mind for bolt or semi auto weapons?

I wonder if they're throwing something in for a government contract, that may be why it is on the AT website.

Low back pressure means they are giving up suppression, I don't believe the numbers they are stating, it is a 7" can with 4 or maybe 5 baffles by the look of it. Nothing new though all the suppressor manufacturer numbers are questionable

Is this can even made by the same LMT? Lewis Machine and Tool is based out of Eldridge Iowa, LMT making the can is located in Caldwell Ohio and say nothing about Lewis Machine and Tool.

Is this can even made by the same LMT? Lewis Machine and Tool is based out of Eldridge Iowa, LMT making the can is located in Caldwell Ohio and say nothing about Lewis Machine and Tool.

From the site

How did LMT Advanced Technologies get started?

For over 40 years, Lewis Machine & Tool Company (LMT®), DBA LMT Defense®, has been a pioneer in the firearms industry. They are known for inventing, engineering, and manufacturing premium firearms. LMT focuses on system accuracy, reliability, and products that will exceed the abuse of combat. In 2015, Karl Lewis, President of LMT, wanted to create a separate company dedicated to innovative shooting solutions. He invested heavily in developing new technology, buying cutting edge manufacturing equipment, and hiring knowledgeable industry people. In 2020, he hired Chris Estadt to lead LMT AT as General Manager.

Do you think this was made in mind for bolt or semi auto weapons?

100% semi auto.

A lot of companies that are looking for mil contracts are going towards "flow through", low back pressure designs because it largely eliminates a need for host tuning, reduces toxic hazards (gas blow back) and will be quieter (providing its a good design) at the ear on untuned hosts vs traditional stuff like the Surefire RC2.

Reactions: TACC
    Good chance this was their contribution to the NGSW team they were a part of (Textron submission).

Would a design like this be easier on bolt components than a typical suppressor if mounted on a 6.5 SCAR? I am curious if the design would be okay to use on a precision rifle.

My guess is Advanced Technology branch of LMT vs LMT home web page.

Not a branch or subsidiary, but an entirely different entity.

A lot of companies that are looking for mil contracts are going towards "flow through", low back pressure designs because it largely eliminates a need for host tuning, reduces toxic hazards (gas blow back) and will be quieter (providing its a good design) at the ear on untuned hosts vs traditional stuff like the Surefire RC2.

Because that’s what the folks writing the requirements are asking for.

Would a design like this be easier on bolt components than a typical suppressor if mounted on a 6.5 SCAR? I am curious if the design would be okay to use on a precision rifle.

Yes, low back pressure designs are easier on your rifle components. There is little to no increase in bolt velocity, less chamber pressure, etc.

I cannot speak towards this specific suppressor because it's untested by sources I trust and this also the first I've heard of it. I would at a minimum would want to see it tested side by side with an OSS. But an OSS is 100% easier on your components. Especially on scars.

Reactions: earthtrekker1775
    Just based on specs and after reading the manual, other than price, not seeing any advantage vs. the OSS. The OSS mounting system makes more sense and the can is shorter overall. The Ti version shaves a bunch of weight for not that much more coin. Still, competition is good.

Yes, low back pressure designs are easier on your rifle components. There is little to no increase in bolt velocity, less chamber pressure, etc.

I cannot speak towards this specific suppressor because it's untested by sources I trust and this also the first I've heard of it. I would at a minimum would want to see it tested side by side with an OSS. But an OSS is 100% easier on your components. Especially on scars.
    I have been looking into the OSS, unless the LMT can do something better than I will probably end up with the OSS can for the SCAR.