• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Load for my TRG 42

Alaskaman11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2009
Last Frontier
Ok guys, Need some ideas where to start. I would like a bullet that is a good hunting round, I think maybe a 250 amax, any idea?

Re: New Load for my TRG 42

What are you hunting Alaska?

I haven't tried the AMax. What sort of BC are they running?

Max

The television program The Best of the West (http://www.thebestofthewest.net/) has done a lot of ballistic testing with Berger hollow-points, comparing them to amax's and other "hunting" rounds. They have done side by side comparisons in ballistic gel and other types of field tests. And have concluded that hollow-points do just as well as many other types of hunting rounds. They have a 4 part long-range shooting video that I purchased a couple years ago, and it shows a lot of this information. They have killed a number of animals with Berger hollow-points (up to elk sized) in their show.

Based on their research I am comfortable using hollow points. I have used Lapua 250 Scenars to shoot one animal so far. A buddy and I shot a pronghorn from 975 yards. It dropped like a sack of potatoes right where it stood.

They are great bullets, I only need 1 bullet for target and hunting, and they have a BC of .675.

I push em with 95.0 grains of Retumbo, out of my TRG 42. Using a Nightforce 8-32, Lapua brass, and Federal GM215M primers. MV - average 2945. My tightest group to date using this load data was 5 shots -- 100 yds -- group could be totally covered by a dime.

I know a few guys that load the exact same -- but with 96.0 grains of Retumbo, that seemed a little hot for my rifle.

Hope this helps,

Dark

Thx bud, Im going to look up the Berger one, did you run a OAL gauge or are your running off of a book?

I don't think Berger has made a .338 caliber bullet yet. As far as i know the 30 cal is the largest they have made to date.

Dark