• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Load...My Primers Look OK?

bronco_buster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2008
OH
Just working up a load for my new DTA 308 conversion. I mic'd out an ogive to base length of 2.218. Mag restricts my OAL case length so I can only get to 2.18. Anyway, it gave me a good 5 shot ragged one hole group at 100y, usually I get 4 in a hole with one flyer from my lack of discipline. I just wanted to get a collective opinion on whether or not I'm pushing things. My load data doesn't indicate that I am, but my primers are a little on the cratered side. Truthfully when compared to factory FGMM and Remington core lokt, the primers look a little worse, but they crater on the factory ammo as well. Please chime in and let me know if they look ok. Thanks.

Berger 185g Juggernaut
Federal Case
43.7g Varget
Federal Gold BR Primer

2012-05-23_13-38-36_348.jpg

Versus factory assembled fired rounds:

2012-05-23_13-45-41_731.jpg

Re: New Load...My Primers Look OK?

your fine. my rifle has cratered firing pin marks since the day it was new with every load and combo i have ever tried. its just how it is.

You have an overly large firing pin hole in your bolt, allowing the primer to extrude around the firing pin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have an overly large firing pin hole in your bolt, allowing the primer to extrude around the firing pin. </div></div>

This. Have you chronoed the load?

Yes, well you either have a large hole or a small firing pin.

In either case you should use caution working your loads up. Personally I would address it.

Because if it isn't right, it must be wrong, right?

Safety first, I would hate to hear you had a primer burst and.....

They look good to me also. I prefer to look at the outer edge of the primer vs the primer hole for signs of pressure. They start to get a flat look at some point and the radius goes away

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have an overly large firing pin hole in your bolt, allowing the primer to extrude around the firing pin. </div></div>

Ditto, nothing to worry about!

Terry