• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New load of Varget but 3 seperate lots

Texascbr

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2017
Austin, Texas
So I got lucky and scored 20 single pound jugs of Varget. Of course, as luck would have it, they come from 3 separate lots. 10lbs in one, 9 in another and a lone pound of a separate lot. I’ve heard it mentioned to mix separate lots so you get a new average. I do know that I hate when switching from one lot of powder and finding it performs much different than the last requiring fresh load workup. Any hints? Should I mix all 20lbs together and redistribute back into the separate bottles?

I know you don’t wanna hear this, but the safest thing to do is to reduce your load and work back up.

Now... my charges are usually lower than what most run, so when I get a new lot I’ll throw 10 charges, and shoot them over a chrono to check the numbers. If accuracy and speed are good/close, I roll with it. If they are off, I redo load development.

Kind of a pain, but I have had lots of different powders be WAY off from another lots charge. I’m talking over pressure, hard to open the bolt.

I will say that Varget is one of those powders that is pretty consistent from lot to lot ( my experience ), but still, exercise some caution and test first.

Start low, burn 5-10 rds using each lot #, chrono.
Find load with each lot # giving same velocity. 95+% done.
Blending, creates more variables than solves.
Varget historically has been pretty darn consistent.
Yes, you’ll occasionally see a larger deviation but that is rare. Nominally it is maybe couple tenths of a grain at most.
Drop by 2 gr, work up in 0.5 gr increments.
Chrono
Stop when seeing same velocity.
Fine tune around that charge weight.
Define for each lot # at single range session.
You’ll burn up maybe 20 rds total.

I’d mix them all together if it was me. I know a guy who just mixed 75 lbs of varget together and it’s running HOT.

Reactions: 47guy
Back in 2008 when supplies were scarce and horse-trading was necessary, the blending of lots was common. Start with a visual inspection to confirm the size and shape of granules are the same. Compare weight/volume (density) are the same using a 45ACP case or similar. If they are good then blend thoroughly.