• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Long Disatnce Shooter - Florida

Spearjunkie

Blessed
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2017
Land O' Lakes, FL
I recently bought a Savage BA Stealth in 6.5 Credmoor to try some longer distance shooting. I have been building AR's for a few years and wanted to try something different. When I purchased the Savage (this is my first bolt gun), the factory stock was horrible and I replaced with an XLR and their side folder as well and put a longer bolt handle on it. I put a 20 MOA EGW scope rail and a Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP in Vortex matched rings.

Last Saturday I finally had some time to go shoot and me and a couple buddy's went down to a 1K yard range. Prior to this day, the furthest I had ever shot was 300 yards. It was a really good day as I went 5 for 5 on the gongs at 600 yards and 4 for 6 on the 24"x24" plate at 1000 yards. I have to say, I haven't been this excited about shooting and never would have thought I could hit a plate at 1000 yards with factory Hornady 147 ELD. I am very happy with the rifle and hope to learn more about long range shooting as I am hooked!

Welcome to the fun! There are a number of places to shoot LR in Florida. We are in Volusia County and run practices and matches each once per month. All are welcome.

I'm headed down to Manatee this weekend for some range time. I want to get more confident shooting long range before trying a match but donwant to do it in the near future. I also need to get a spotting scope but I blew my gun funds on a home project.