• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NEW LONG RANGE HUNTING SCOPE

Eric B.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I just bought a new scope for my 6.5 PRC X-Bolt Pro .

It's a Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 illuminated G3 reticle, FFP, mil/mil. 27 oz.
Bushnell calls this LRTS a "tactical" scope but until recently it was designated "LRHS" (Long Range Hunting Scope) Badge engineering raises its ugly head. ;o)

For hunting here in Nevada I wanted a long range scope with a few more features than my very good SWFA SS 3 - 15 x 42, FFP, mil/mil scope.
First I bought a SIG Tango6 3 - 18 x 50 scope, illuminated mil/mil with the very nice level-Plex reticle level indicator. BUT, this scope, beautiful as it certainly was, was a BOAT ANCHOR at 38 oz. with its big 34 mm tube. So I sent it back to Optics Planet and got the Bushnell. I really like this Bushnell's glass and the excellent reticle lighting. Who knows, I may need it, especially on lower power where the FFP reticles tend to get very small.

MY !ST CHOICE-> Originally I wanted a MARCH 3 - 24 x 42 scope, illuminated FFP reticle, mil/mil at 24 oz. but Mon Deau! it was over $3,000. with Nevada sales tax. Well, a boy can dream...

Eric B.

Last edited:
Excellent choice. I just sold one, but it performed flawlessly, especially for the price.

@Eric B.
You could trade me your LRTSI for my LRHSI with illuminated g2h reticle if you like the circle of death for low power shooting. I have only used it on a few hunts. I am getting away from FFP scopes for hunting use and would prefer the g3 reticle for targets.

@Eric B.
You could trade me your LRTSI for my LRHSI with illuminated g2h reticle if you like the circle of death for low power shooting. I have only used it on a few hunts. I am getting away from FFP scopes for hunting use and would prefer the g3 reticle for targets.
Why are you getting away from FFP scopes for hunting. Close ups?

FFP scopes are inferior to SFP scopes with thicker reticles for most hunting situations especially in low light. Illumination helps FFP scopes in those situations but is still inferior. Sighting in duplex reticle for 300 yards makes for easy hold unders and overs out to 400 yards which is further than most all my kills to date. There arent any disadvantages using a SFP scope out to normal ethical hunting distances.

For target shooting with high power optics I do prefer FFP by a large margin. Different tools for different jobs.