• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New look at Bushnell Elite LRHS2

chevy327

LaRoche
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2013
Oregon
Hands on experience with the new soon to be released Bushnell Elite LRHS2.

IMG_20210422_112108.jpg
IMG_20210422_112052.jpg
IMG_20210422_112057.jpg
IMG_20210422_112103.jpg
Hundreds of rounds and many of days looking through the new ED Prime glass in the Bushnell Elite LRHS2 . I was very satisfied and impressed with the entire package.

I was giving the opportunity to test out the new soon to be released Bushnell LRHS2 scope . Most of it was performed in Big Sky country Montana "Spring" type conditions.

The scope was mounted in NightForce lightweight rings sending 25creedmoor 131 ACE down range.

I started out the fresh barrel with some 100 yard paper . After zeroing it I dug right in with no mercy given zero handling care because it wasn't mine and I was told specifically to use it and abuse it. Kinda like thrashing around on a four wheeler that's not yours.

I shot a series of 10 shots . In between each shot I cranked the elevation turret maxed out as fast as I could then back down to zero . I did this between every shot for 10 shots. The LRHS2 gave me a 1\2 group with ten shots. I then changed heading just after setting the quick and easy to use zero stop, I went to the steel plates. Bypassed the 340yard plate and went to 520yards in 12-17mph using reticle only . Shot for shot the reticle rang true. I then starting to stretch it out a bit to 1240yards. The ED Prime glass had such a clear sight picture at steel targets ranging from 6inches to 32 inches. From 340 yards out to 1903 yards . The ED Prime glass was impressively clear under overcast Montana sky. I continued my use it and abuse it tasks of cranking on the elevation knob and new locking windage turret as much as I could. Banging the stock on the ground and spinning the turrets as fast as I could in between just about every shot throughout the day . The turrets never skipped a beat. In combination of using the mil FFP reticle at all 4.5 x18 magnifications the LHRS2 continued to perform and track flawlessly.

The reticle reads true and is the same format as the Gen1 . I engaged targets using the FFP reticle combined at every magnification increments with strong wind gusts with dust never perminetly sticking to the glass coatings.

As said prior the wind was exceptionally gusty in Big Sky country at times which gave us plenty of opportunities for big wind holds and wind turret dialing. The new addition of the pull push locking windage turret knob is a really great new feature and much needed in the LRHS2 scope. A 30mm tube with 10 mils per revelation on both elevation and turret knobs.

The newly added throw lever has excellent tension. It takes less effort than my Bushnell DMR2 and is stiffer than my NightForce NXS . Very simple and comfortable thumb push and the size is basically perfect in my opinion with plenty of room to roll the bolt on the Remy700 action.

Elevation knob has excellent positive clicks in both sound and feel. The zero stop is like hitting a brick wall. Absolutely zero worries of either turret knobs adjusting while bumping around ATV's , behind truck seats , barricades or harnessed over the shoulder etc.

We were able to compare the LRHS2 to various of other top brand scopes ranging from and including the original LRHS , VortexRazor, NightForce NXS and ATACR, Leupold MK5, and Tangent. The LHRS2 ED glass held it's own and everyone was vastly impressed with the comparisons made at all hours of the day and weather conditions.

The ED Prime glass, Throw lever and Locking windage turret are the main added features to the scope. I'm uncertain if the guts are any different. The edge to edge clarity had zero shadowing at all magnifications at sun setting hours . The reticle gets a bit bold at 18x as to be expected from most FFP systems . Also the eye box is very generous at all magnifications.

I couldn't find anything negitive about this scope as I would like to show some type of Pros vs Cons variable in here. I guess if an Ultra compact lightweight was desired . You'd want to look elsewhere but in reality at a meir 27oz it's still on the lighter end of scopes with compatible rugedness and magnification . The scope is not terribly long at 14 inches but neither is it compact. Given the 30mm tube , 4.5x18 magnification range, crystal clear glass , durable turrets and excellent tracking. It makes for a great hunting scope in all terrains \ and competition cross over with it's reticle similar to the G3 reticle that's become very popular in the PRS .

At the price for this scope of $879 at presale cost . I'd say in my opinion that other comparable scopes in the $1600+ ish range that I've handled , better step up their game. This Bushnell LRHS2 has a price point and ruggedness thats going to be tuff to match.

GA Precision Presale May 1 - June 1. $879. After June 1st they will be $939

Always glad to see new products from American companies.
I think their management has come around after getting so much new competition. The quality of the mid priced optics keeps getting better. They must do this to stay competitive. This looks to be a great new product.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Always glad to see new products from American companies.
I think their management has come around after getting so much new competition. The quality of the mid priced optics keeps getting better. They must do this to stay competitive. This looks to be a great new
The management is all new.
The old management took a once prestigious company and ran it into the ground.

Reactions: lash and Highbrass
Enjoyed the write up and field experience. (y)

couple questions. So did you like it ;) and what type of glass does it use:LOL:

seriously though, I am curious about the new zero stop because the one on the original LRHS/LRTS is neither quick nor easy, as you put it.

Sounds like it’s going to be a hot commodity, still baffled as to why they chose not to do illumination though.

I know that I’ll be getting one to go with my original LRHSi. It does make me laugh that so many responses are just the same players saying the same thing they said in this thread:

If the non-illuminated G2H reticle is slightly thinner in view than the illuminated version, that works for me too.

I know that I’ll be getting one to go with my original LRHSi. It does make me laugh that so many responses are just the same players saying the same thing they said in this thread:

If the non-illuminated G2H reticle is slightly thinner in view than the illuminated version, that works for me too.

There was a comment in the original faceyspace post that made it sound like a slightly modified version of the (thicker) illuminated G2H reticle. I'm hoping the reticle lines are not too thick (like the non-illuminated G3), but I'm not the target audience.

Wouldn’t think so, but is there a marketing or technical issue that the ED Prime glass models, to date, have not offered illumination or have I missed something? Have a couple of DMR2 Pro’s that I really like, especially reticle thickness, and absent illumination, shrinking their feature set to 30mm and dropping 8-12oz would be a win from my very limited opinion. Have a half dozen between LRHS/LRTS and will surely have one or two of these, but illumination is pretty much a ‘must have’ for a hunting optic, unless the EDP glass limits same. Bushnell reps-what say ye?

Wouldn’t think so, but is there a marketing or technical issue that the ED Prime glass models, to date, have not offered illumination or have I missed something? Have a couple of DMR2 Pro’s that I really like, especially reticle thickness, and absent illumination, shrinking their feature set to 30mm and dropping 8-12oz would be a win from my very limited opinion. Have a half dozen between LRHS/LRTS and will surely have one or two of these, but illumination is pretty much a ‘must have’ for a hunting optic, unless the EDP glass limits same. Bushnell reps-what say ye?
ED prime doesn't have an effect on if an optic can have illumination or not.

This thing made in China?
Japan.

The original LRTS zero stop is AWESOME. Super easy to use if you know what you are doing.
You and I have different ideas of "super easy" ;)

Elevation Adjustment for LRHS:

Use a coin, screwdriver or cartridge rim to remove the turret screw at the top of the turret knob (be careful not to displace the o-ring found under the turret knob).

Remove the turret knob and return it to the turret with the “zero” mark on the knob lining up with the vertical index line on the turret. To reset zero – loosen the three Allen set screws found on the perimeter of the black inner locking ring. Turn the RevLimiter disk clockwise until it contacts the fixed pin at the bottom of the turret. Tighten the set screws no more than 2 in lbs.

Return the turret screw to top of knob and tighten making sure the knob is in the “lock” position so the knob does not turn while tightening the screw.

Pink scope? Now you talkin my language!!

@Glassaholic - thanks for the reminder. Meant to grab a 2 in-lb limiter from Fix-it at MHS and forgot yesterday.

Im anxiously awaiting the reticle updates to the G3 to the DMR and XRS series.

Maybe a spotter like the Legend Tactical with the ED prime glass? Or an expansion of the Elite spotter line in general? 😁

Add lume and a 3-12 at the same price point then you can take my money...lots of it!

But my guess is just like when the LRSH came out first then a lumed version after, prolly a lumed one in the works and out next year.

Reactions: lash
I must be the only one that never cares if my illuminated scopes even have batteries in them. I have found there seems to be about exactly 1 minute at dawn and 1 minute at dusk where illumination would not further deteriorate the IQ. Otherwise it messes with the perceived light transmission to my eye. If the reticle is done right, I prefer to save the weight and remove the electronics. Even if I am running NV/Thermal inline with my day optic, I opt for no illumination. Black against white phosphor is better than red against white phosphor.

I was thinking the same thing. In the past I've bought illumination when available but I don't think I've ever used it hunting and taken many deer at the edges of legal light.

Reactions: chevy327 and lash
Very interested but how about some pics through the scope showing field of view, image quality/sharpness vs some others?

Similar to picture except the circle will be broken at all cross hair intercepts

I'm mostly curious if the center will be the thinner non-illuminated G3 version, or the thicker illuminated version. There were faceyspace posts about low light visibility being good without illumination due to the reticle thickness.

I like the Illumination but also have to face facts that I’ve basically never used it when hunting.

are the prices you posted at GA for 4.5-18?

I’d guess that since it’s Saturday, that nothing will happen until Monday earliest.

I have both the 3-12 and 4.5-18 LRHS. Honestly the resolution and contrast leave nothing to be desired. They punch well above their weight. What I would like to see is a larger FOV. I'm hoping there is a new eyepiece design but not holding breath.

tenor.gif

Since LRHS2 is non-illuminated and evidently is going to use a modified G3H reticle...I'm really interested to know the crosshair subtension.

Hope its not .06, suspect it probably will be since it lacks illumination.

Reactions: Jimichanga
Got a link to this presale? I am trying to decide between this and the PST 2
As much as I love the PST II as a top budget option, if you don’t mind the narrower FOV and lack of illumination I would venture the LRHS2 is going to be quite good.