• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New LTR .223, first load work up.(Update!)

jdgray

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2009
SW, MI.
Finally got out to shoot my first reloads through my new LTR, and more work will be needed! I shot some 52gr Sierra match kings, over H335 powder, and the first group on a clean barrel, was my best at .613" for 5rds, worst was 1.168" including a called flyer. (Still getting used to the 8oz trigger.) The last group on the bottom, right was a proven load in my RRA Predator Pursuit, but didn't fare as well in the Remmy. Any body have any pet loads for their LTRs? I'm not opposed to doing my own homework, just intrested in what works for you all. Average on the 5 groups was .810" not great, but still under the 1" limit I set for myself
laugh.gif

003-4.jpg

Re: New LTR .223, first load work up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is your barrel twist, and what distance do you want to shoot at?
I have a good 40grn varmint load, but my rifle also has a 1-12 twist.
SScott </div></div>

I've got 300yrds to play with, 1-9" 20" barrel.

might give 25 grn W748 with a 55 grn NBT or varget same paowder charge. I get great result's from this load with my 223 LTR

For what it's worth.

my 223 sps tac likes 25-25.5gr H4895 55gr vmax or nosler boatail seated at 2.25 YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottishtornado</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might want to try this thread.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=351023#Post351023

Some really good info here. </div></div>

Thanks for the link!! After finding another load that worked in someone elses LTR, I tried it, and WOW!!
Check out group #6, #7 loading Varget and 69gr SMKs, Got me a new work up, and hoping to duplicate these results!
The remainder of the groups were loading H335
001-4.jpg

002-2.jpg

Wow! That really dialed in with the Varget. Nice job!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow! That really dialed in with the Varget. Nice job! </div></div>
Thanks! The same varget load, using 69gr SMKs didn't shoot good in my AR, with a 1 in 8 twist, glad I read through all the peoples load recommendations in that link!

What was the rest of your load as far as primer, brass, oal? I just picked up an XCR compact Tactical, basicly the same rifle, and need to get started on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was the rest of your load as far as primer, brass, oal? I just picked up an XCR compact Tactical, basicly the same rifle, and need to get started on it. </div></div>
Lapua brass, CCI 400s, 69gr SMKs, Full length sized with Lee dies, 2.260" oal
Shot off a shaky picknic table, off a front rest, rear bag. Well see how it holds up to prone with a Harris bipod after it repeats itself off the rest.

Good shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottishtornado</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad the link helped. Nice groups on #6+7. </div></div>

Thanks....
People always get down on ya for asking for what works in other rifles, but if I can cut down on testing time, I'm all for it! There are reasons why Black Hills ammo, shoots so well in a bunch of different rifles, it just a great combo of componets. This Varget load is another
laugh.gif

Fantastic! Glad to see you've hit upon a load combination that works for you.

I use N140 for my Rem SPS 20" with 69gr SMK's and it works a treat. Its a pretty hot load though at 26.4 grains. Gets out all the way to 800 yards.
Just using Remington brass (sorted) CCI 400's and neck sizing with a Lee collet die. .