• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report New M40A3 and have a question on the Max Range

Magforce

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2009
Lebanon, Tennessee, USA
Guys I am having an M40A3 Custom Rifle made by R & B rifles. I am curious what you guys think the Max range should be for it. Considering the scope is excellect and the shooter is Good what should I be able to hit at on a Max range and then what would you say a good all day long range would be.

Re: New M40A3 and have a question on the Max Range

Good shooter,ammo,and optics should get you 1000 and 500 respectively. Plus or minus 100% depeding on shooter. It's the Indian,not the arrow.

Also depends on what bullets or ammo you plan on using? Is the M40 a spec rifle?1-12 twist barrel or other?if your getting a good quality barrel like 1-11.25 or 1-10 you can extend your max effective range a bit more than 1000 with 155 scenar bullets or some Corbon loaded ammo in 155s.

If your M40 is spec, barrel etc as 81sfo mentioned with right ammo you will have no problem getting out to 1000 yrds and makeing hits. My GAP spec M40A3 will shoot LC M118 LR, IMI Match, and my hand loads pushing the Sierra 175 are all in about the area at 1000 yrds. My hand loads are pushing the 175 Sierra at 2660 range, good luck with spec rifle.

With proper reloading, you can get the 155 high BC bullets out to/past 1300 yards befor they go subsonic. Thus, thye are solidly supersonic at 1100 yards.

Based purely on drop; it is 6.7 times harder to hit something at 1000 yards than at 500 yards; based on purely windage it is 2.45 times harder. Thus, wiht a constant sized target, it get hard very rapidly past 600 yards.

Well the question is a loaded one... good optics to me is S&B and Zeiss so with that.... Every optic has different max amount of MOA. So without a 20moa base and the right optics you may not be able to put POA and POI on the same plane at 1k. I have no doubt that with training a well built M40 175g bullets your could hit 1k enough that no one would want to be on the receiving end. I have shot a M24, MK11 SR25, MK12 SPR (5.56) and stock 308 PSS all out to 1k and its not really that hard to make hits. All the rifles are bone stock, not tricked out by gun smiths to shoot 1/4 MOA (just the avg 1MOA or slightly less gun. Depending on the conditions you should be able to hit 1200 and 1300 man size targets constantly.

Max range is in the order of 2 to 5 miles depending on use of a base plate and clinometer.
All day long range is about 20 feet from a bench.

The in between distances are up to you and common sense.