• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New manufacture Clausing Colchester thoughts

jonaddis84

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2009
Toledo, OH
www.area419.com
Im looking at one of the lathes pictured below, and wanted to get thoughts if anyone has experience with them. I know the older models of these were excellent lathes, but I cannot find much information on the new manufacture models. The particular machine I am looking at was made in 2012. It appears to be 100% brand new (cosmolene still on ways), the shop that is selling it said Clausing sold it to a school or something, it was leaking oil between the headstock and gearbox so they demanded a new unit. Clausing took it back, repaired it, and since Clausing wont sell used lathes directly this shop got it deeply discounted.

I am getting it with an Acurite 200S DRO installed by Acurite on it, a Pratt/Burnet 3jaw, hopefully a quality 4jaw also.... for $8500ish. I feel like Id be stupid to turn down that deal considering I see these lathes listed for $13-14k new.

My big question is this, I looked all over the machine though and could not find a country of manufacture. Ive read everywhere from China, to Taiwan, and back to England on these new machines so have no clue what the correct answer is, anybody know?

The machine feels very sturdy, at least compared to what I use now (think it is 1800lb). There is some backlash in the dials, but I think that can be adjusted out at least on the compound maybe not on the cross slide. With half nuts engaged its rock solid not much wiggle at all, maybe a few thou. I really like that it has a cover over the leadscrew to keep crap from getting all over it. Other nice thing is that its only 3hp, so I can run one of the Mitsubishi VFD that is made specifically to convert single to three phase, and is only $250.

12_14_10_CLAUSING%20COLCHESTER%20LATHE_2.jpg

Go to practicalmachinist.com. I'm pretty sure there is a forum dedicated to Clausing Colchester. If not, register on the site and ask for help. Most of the forum members really know their shit.

Go to practicalmachinist.com. I'm pretty sure there is a forum dedicated to Clausing Colchester. If not, register on the site and ask for help. Most of the forum members really know their shit.

Yeah, you'll find out real quick over there if you are posting about an Asian import machine :D

Yeah no kidding, that site annoys the hell out of me, can't tell if they're talking from experience or just stubborn old men who hate imports no matter what the quality

Galaxy S3 on tapatalk

I did see that, then someone stated that production moved to Taiwan. Any truth to that? Looking at this lathe in comparison to other Chinese it'd be hard to believe it's made there. It looks much more like a Taiwan lathe, based on quality of castings and what not.

Galaxy S3 on tapatalk

Try contacting Precision Matthews. We were looking at the version he had and the word was that it was the same thing made in the same place but Clausing put their name on it and sold it at a premium. They might be able to confirm/refute. He did say they no longer carried them and have a replacement which looks pretty nice as well.
Justin

It looks a lot like my Harrison M300B. Mine says it was made in the UK but from what I can figure out it may have been assembled there. The castings were probably oriental. Mine is a good lathe. It has enough power for some good roughing cuts and threads well. The only thing is you need to check if it has the change gearing for metric threading.

Good Luck,

Joe

We bought a new clausing-colchester in the mid-2000's (6-7??) at our shop and I talked to Clausing about the machine. They admitted they had moved production to China at one time but due to quality issues they were now made in Taiwan. The machine is a good unit, heavy, smooth cutting. Gear box can be finicky to change for threading/feed rates, but it just takes a little rotating the chuck by hand to get them in, a little more-so than other lathes. As we received it the rotation was backwards to what I was used to, as in order to have CCW rotation you had to lift the handle...called Clochester and they stated that's the way they were, even though the Harrison M300 we replaced was 'normal'. I switched two legs on the control 3 phase and now it's like every other lathe I've used. The PB chucks are not what they used to be, but better than many. Really, that's a very good price on the lathe, they are still supposed to have the Gamet spindle bearings, which is supposed to be a premium. You won't get any more machine in a new lathe for that kind of money.

Thats pretty much exactly what they told me, that production was in China for a short period of time but quality was not good so they moved it to Taiwan. I am completely content with it being produced in Taiwan as thats basically the best place you can have a machine made now that is still in my budget range.

I just have to wait for them to get the Acurite installed and hopefully I can bring it home next week.

As a side note. I was working near Ontario, CA earlier this week and remembered seeing that the Eisen (taiwan) lathes are headquartered there. I decided to give them a call to see if I could look at their 1440GE model as it looked like a pretty nice Taiwan lathe, very heavy duty, but as you know its impossible to tell from pictures on the computer. Jason was the guy I talked to, he was extremely helpful and even hung out past closing to wait for me to get there. He showed me all the different models they had on hand right now. He was quite honest about the machines, even to the point where he was pointing out downfalls of their own machines. It was mainly the 1440E model that is the lightweight model that he was not a fan of.

If you are looking for a good lathe though, give him a call for sure, that 1440GE would be an ideal setup for gunsmithing. Short headstock, very heavy (2700 I think) with the cast iron base, good low runout on the spindle, premium Japanese bearings. If it wasnt for this Clausing I would most likely be getting one of the Eisens.

This one...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EISEN-1440G...331037530043?pt=BI_Lathes&hash=item4d135fd7bb

Last edited: