• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New March 1-10x24 - any feedback?

ormandj

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
TX
Looks like some more information is available: D10SV24FIML

That's the 'tactical' or exposed turret model. There's a capped model too. Does anybody know if the tactical turrets are locking? Do they really have 56mils of elevation and 56mil of windage in a 30mm scope tube? That's wild. How's the illumination on these? How's the 1x performance? FOV is a little less than the G3, for example, but if it's a true 1x without any edge distortion and the scope tube is thin in view, that'll work just fine.

While I like my Razor G3 1-10x, the glass isn't up to my usual standards, and I _really_ miss having adjustable parallax. I'm wondering if this might be a good fit and cover those shortcomings.

I am testing the 1-10X24 DR-1 with tactical turrets. The turrets do not lock. I wound the turrets and I get 58MIL stop to stop. The illumination is fine. I can see the center dot in daylight with no issues. It's about as close to 1X as I have seen and you can see that in the pictures I linked to below.

I love the dual reticle; that is truly awesome.

Here is a link to a series of pictures and a video.

http://img.gg/wnMFjN2

I mounted the scope on a tripod in my backyard and took pictures through it pointed at my optical target 20 yards away on the fence. I made sure to show the view that you would have looking through it and around it at various magnifications. It's a job and a half to get these pictures and I used the least bad ones at the various mags. As you can see, I used the fast lever on the magnification ring. (Makes it easier for my arthritic hands.) The astute viewer will notice the lever changing position at various magnifications. That nice one piece mount is built specifically for this March scope by Audere in San Marino. They are the ones who make all the other March rings.

Then I used an adapter to help capture a video of me zooming up and down the magnification range to show the reticle as it changes. The video does not do it any kind of justice, I'm still fumbling with the capture setup, but you get the gist. In real life, the reticle is nice and crisp and you can actually discern the numbers at 1X not that they would be of any use at that low mag.

@Denys Wow, thank you for posting that information, that's very helpful! I think that's the first feedback from anybody who's handled this scope on the internet! It does look like the 1x is a true 1x edge-to-edge which is great. In the pictures, is the center dot at 'max' illumination, or a middle setting? It'd be interesting to see it at mid brightness and max brightness pointed at various backgrounds (in broad daylight) such as tree leaves, sandy colored things, etc. This is where the brightness really starts to matter. I think snow is one of the worst offenders, but based on the pictures, it doesn't look too snowy there!

This looks like it may be a very nice scope, I wish the turrets were locking since this isn't a tree reticle and I'll need to dial often in the field, so capped aren't ideal either, but I'm sure I can work around that. How's the turret feel, are they firm/positive? That tends to reduce the chance of accidental adjustments in the field when being carried with non-locking turrets.

Thank you again for posting, that's all excellent and very helpful information!

Reactions: sf135
I don't remember the illumination setting I used. The chances of me doing this again, and using different backgrounds is low.

The turrets are quite firm and positive. They move nicely and are audible, but you have to exert a bit of force. They won't move if you just brush them.

Thanks for the info! I am also interested in this scope. I was looking to possibly buy a razor g3 in the next month or so, but this has me thinking maybe I should wait. Denys, have you been able to look through a razor g3? How would you compare them if so.

Thanks for the info! I am also interested in this scope. I was looking to possibly buy a razor g3 in the next month or so, but this has me thinking maybe I should wait. Denys, have you been able to look through a razor g3? How would you compare them if so.

If you want an objective comparison ask someone non biased like Koshkin...

Reactions: Denys
Yeah, I am waiting to see when koshkin reviews it, but he won't do a review until it is a production item. Just curious since almost no one is talking about it and it looks great on paper.

My Razor G3 doesn't seem any better than my NF 2.5-10x42 (the "worst" glass I still have left) re: glass. There's a good bit of CA and there is definitely some edge distortion. It's a massive step down from my ZCO 527, for example, same with Tangent Theta. I don't have the March so can't give you a comparison in that regard. I asked to see if I could get one of the demo models floating around to do a comparison, but no dice.

One of the vendors I have spoken with today after posting this suggested it's likely to be a lot like a Razor G3 in glass quality; I hope that's not true. I'm just a glass snob, being spoiled with a lot of high-end scopes. Most people rate the G3 glass highly for an LPVO, so that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm interested in hearing from people with hands-on time with this scope and some of the other big names.

Unfortunately, March doesn't generally seem to be in the hands of the same people who own a lot of the ZCO/TT/NF/etc scopes, so it seems hard to find comparisons. Hopefully someone will have some feedback soon. I'm probably going to be selling my G3 shortly as it just doesn't do it for me; I'll keep my hopes up this March has nicer glass when Koshkin puts out a review, since he's one of the few who've had hands on all these scopes from low to mid to high end.

Last edited:
In your pics it looks like there is quite a bit of CA, however in the video it seems much less so. Is that from your camera? How is the CA in real life? How is the parallax and eye box? Is there any edge distortion? Do you have other high end optics to compare glass quality to? Is the glass in it their High Master Super ED glass? Is the illumination daylight bright? Also, are the hashes in the reticle 1 mil spacing?

Thanks man

Last edited:
In your pics it looks like there is quite a bit of CA, however in the video it seems much less so. Is that from your camera? How is the CA in real life? How is the parallax and eye box? Is there any edge distortion? Do you have other high end optics to compare glass quality to? Is the glass in it their High Master Super ED glass? Is the illumination daylight bright? Also, are the hashes in the reticle 1 mil spacing?

Thanks man
Well. If all you're going to do is criticize my photography, I should just take the pictures down. :)

I think I explained how sloppy the whole thing is and asked for understanding of the difficulties in my attempts. One thing that always strikes me when I compare the photos to the real view is how poorly the photos represent the view through the riflescope. My smartphone adds its interpretation of the image and then I PP the pictures to make them look the same, adjust the lighting, crop and add text. Then I save in lower quality to save bandwidth.

My goal was to show the reticle in action and how it looks at various magnifications. I would not use these pictures to compare to anything else. You do so at your own peril.

I have a fair level of experience in optics and understand CA and the other phenomenon that can occur when dealing with optics.

In answer to your questions:

1- How is the parallax and the eye box? I did not mount this optic on a rifle to try it out properly. I had no difficulty looking through it on a tripod. In fact, at low magnification, it was very easy to get behind. Your next comment will be, "ok, how about at 10X?" My answer: "it required more attention than at 1X." Again this is standing behind the scope on a tripod, it ain't real life.

2- I saw no edge distortion, I was thinking "barreling, pincushion, etc." None was detected.

3- The rifle is use the most is my Match F-TR rifle, with which I compete every few weeks at 1000 yards and 600 yards. That rifle sports a March-X 10-60X56 HM, which is the finest high magnification scope available. I run that puppy at 50X almost all the time. I do go down to 40X when the conditions are terrible to gain a wider FOV. Before that scope, I had a March-X 5-50X56 for 6 years on that rifle. So, yeah. I'm familiar with high-end optics. That said, comparing the 10-60X56 HM to the 1-10X24 is pointless. I will state here and now, that I am not an expert in LPVOs. I just did these pictures because I could and I thought it would help people understand the dual reticle concept.

4- The glass in the 1-10X24 is not the High Master glass, it's not Super ED or even ED glass. I'm not sure it's even worthwhile to have that glass in this scope. I am not aware of anyone making zoom lenses in ED, let alone Super ED glass, and this is all zoom lenses. But what do I know?

5- The illumination is daylight bright. I could plainly see the center dot in daylight. No problem there.

6- You can get all the details about the reticle here:
Just click on the picture of the reticle halfway down.

Well. If all you're going to do is criticize my photography, I should just take the pictures down. :)

I think I explained how sloppy the whole thing is and asked for understanding of the difficulties in my attempts. One thing that always strikes me when I compare the photos to the real view is how poorly the photos represent the view through the riflescope. My smartphone adds its interpretation of the image and then I PP the pictures to make them look the same, adjust the lighting, crop and add text. Then I save in lower quality to save bandwidth.

My goal was to show the reticle in action and how it looks at various magnifications. I would not use these pictures to compare to anything else. You do so at your own peril.

I have a fair level of experience in optics and understand CA and the other phenomenon that can occur when dealing with optics.

1- How is the parallax and the eye box? I did not mount this optic on a rifle to try it out properly. I had no difficulty looking through it on a tripod. In fact, at low magnification, it was very easy to get behind. Your next comment will be, "ok, how about at 10X?" My answer: "it required more attention than at 1X." Again this is standing behind the scope on a tripod, it ain't real life.

2- I saw no edge distortion, I was thinking "barreling, pincushion, etc." None was detected.

3- The rifle is use the most is my Match F-TR rifle, with which I compete every few weeks at 1000 yards and 600 yards. That rifle sports a March-X 10-60X56 HM, which is the finest high magnification scope available. I run that puppy at 50X almost all the time. I do go down to 40X when the conditions are terrible to gain a wider FOV. Before that scope, I had a March-X 5-50X56 for 6 years on that rifle. So, yeah. I'm familiar with high-end optics. That said, comparing the 10-60X56 HM to the 1-10X24 is pointless. I will state here and now, that I am not an expert in LPVOs. I just did these pictures because I could and I thought it would help people understand the dual reticle concept.

4- The glass in the 1-10X24 is not the High Master glass, it's not Super ED or even ED glass. I'm not sure it's even worthwhile to have that glass in this scope. I am not aware of anyone making zoom lenses in ED, let alone Super ED glass, and this is all zoom lenses. But what do I know?

5- The illumination is daylight bright. I could plainly see the center dot in daylight. No problem there.

Well done and excellent write up Denys!

Can you explain the dual reticle? Is it refer to the FFP reticle and SFP dot?

i do miss shooting at Bayou Rifles. Maybe next year. Would be nice to see you shoot an AR-10 at the 600yd matches instead of your usual FTR rifle.

Last edited:

Wasn’t trying to be critical of your pics. Just wanted to know if it was the scope or the camera creating the CA is all. As you stated for multiple reasons, usually it’s the latter but sometimes not. Thank you for clearing that up. I actually really appreciated what you had put together, especially since there are extremely few out in the wild right now.

Good to know on the glass. I’ve run ZCOs and Minox ZP5s, and once you get used to something it’s easy to be disappointed. Lol. Granted the magnification situation is completely different and maybe it doesn’t matter. I haven’t spent much time behind LPVOs but in my 3-15s certainly the difference is noticeable.

I’m still very intrigued by this scope for hunting purposes. The adjustable parallax makes that very appealing for shots at distance.

Showing the reticle like you did was very helpful and it seems like it’s useable/practical.

Thanks for the post

Well done and excellent write up Denys!

Can you explain the dual reticle? Is it refer to the FFP reticle and SFP dot?

i do miss shooting at Bayou Rifles. Maybe next year. Would be nice to see you shoot an AR-10 at the 600yd matches instead of your usual FTR rifle.
Thanks.

I make no representation about doing or presenting a detailed review of this riflescope; I have stated I am not experienced with LPVOs.

The dual reticle is really neat and showing it in action was my motivation for the pictures and the video I link to up above. It is an amalgam, a merger if you wish, of the SFP and FFP reticles. The SFP is the main crosshairs and the central illuminated dot. These objects remain at the same size throughout the magnification range. This means that as the magnification increases, the main crosshairs and central dot become progressively smaller in relation to the target. At the same time, the scale in the FFP grows in the eyepiece but remains the same size in relation to the target so it can be used for consistent hold offs and so on.

Watching this happen in real life is really neat, and that's what I was trying to show in my video and pictures.

Yes, please come shoot with us at Bayou and if you had done that this year, you would have seen me with my AR-10 at 600 yards with a March 1.5-15X42. I reported this on another thread here, with pictures. I have been competing with my F-TR rifle for so long, any other rifle feels a little strange when shooting at the same type target in the same position. Just the difference in triggers is a shock, and don't get me started on looking at the target at 15X instead of 50X.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tx_Flyboy
Denys, with this short set up , can you still install a side focus wheel. What I mean is the side focus knob spaced outside of the scope mount to allow a side focus wheel to have clearance. Thanks for posting the pictures, they really clear up the SFP & FF Combo that I was having a hard time understanding how that worked.

Last edited:
That video was cool, it was strange seeing the SFP reticle "grow" in relation to the FFP markings.

This dual reticle would be excellent in the 1.5-15, although I imagine it'd be neat in almost any mag range.

I'm guessing the the dual reticle idea is relatively difficult to do, thus it only be available in a few high end/expenses scopes. Or is it a case of just being uncommon and once they have a simple system of aligning the two reticles we could see this trickle down to more scopes in the future.

That video was cool, it was strange seeing the SFP reticle "grow" in relation to the FFP markings.

This dual reticle would be excellent in the 1.5-15, although I imagine it'd be neat in almost any mag range.

I'm guessing the the dual reticle idea is relatively difficult to do, thus it only be available in a few high end/expenses scopes. Or is it a case of just being uncommon and once they have a simple system of aligning the two reticles we could see this trickle down to more scopes in the future.
That would be a good guess. Indeed, it requires extremely precise design and assembly to make sure the reticle in front of the erector (FFP), and the reticle at the rear of the erector tube (SFP) stay line up perfectly over the life of the riflescope and through the entire zoom range. I don't think that lends itself to mass production techniques at this time, but I now nothing of current manufacturing methods, tools and technology.

I should think if it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

That being said, I can definitely see when this type of reticle would be right at home in many other scope model.

There is definite appeal to an ultra short LPVO. What's funny is traditionally LPVO's have always been a "short" design but this March takes it to a new level. The Shorty 1-10 "looks" amazing, but not sure how much compromise was made optically to get such a short design. Appreciate your pics, video and comments Denys, I look forward to actually seeing one of these soon.

Nobody seems to notice the rings are non-standard and I dont see any available from March. Odd, they give you batteries but no way to mount it.