• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Mark II has no bases, help.

anthony1

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2010
ohio, sw
I already have a few savage rimfires, but i was at a sporting goods store today and seen one really cheap so i bought it for no real good reason.

It came with some crap scope mounted on it and i didnt pay much attention to the mounts, i looked at the crown and checked the free float and bolt and bought it.

Well after i got it home and was about to put another scope on it, i realized it doesnt have any bases and isnt drilled or tapped. It has grooves in the reciever that the scopes rings tighten into. All my other savages had a weaver style base on them at purchase.

Does any one know of any type of base or mount or something i can put on here to use weaver style rings? I looked online i cant find any info on a savge that didnt come with a traditional weaver base. Help please.

Re: New Mark II has no bases, help.

i'd like the idea that those bases convert from dovetail to weaver base, but i'd also get a quote on how much it would cost to get it drilled and tapped.

if it's reasonable enough to get it done, i'd invest the 26.00 (plus shipping) toward a drill and tap job.

then you'll be set up for either / or dovetail or weaver bases, plus have the option to utilize all those terrific MOA sloped bases.

nice signature!
wink.gif

what i meant was that if the smith was going to charge you whatever the going rate is, i'd put the 26.00 towards that price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice signature!
wink.gif

what i meant was that if the smith was going to charge you whatever the going rate is, i'd put the 26.00 towards that price.

</div></div>

+1

I have never seen a Savage rimfire that isn't drilled and tapped already. Where did you buy it at and what model is it? I was a little reluctant to chime in, afraid JRoger would send his cat after me.
wink.gif
I do like the sig to, I will have to attempt something similar with my siamese for shits and giggles.

Before savage started importing the MKII from Canada it was called the Lakefield MarkII made by a comapny called Lakefield. It was not drilled and tapped like it is now. It just had the standard grooves in the top of the receiver like a Marlin Model 60 would have for the normal 22 rings of olden days.

DIP makes a rail that slides onto dovetails. He makes them for marlins, you might see what he would do for the savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DIP makes a rail that slides onto dovetails. He makes them for marlins, you might see what he would do for the savage. </div></div>Yeah I just looked that up, and my thought are if it fits Marlins with 3/8 grooves then it should fit any action with those 3/8 grooves. I could be wrong though.