• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New McMillan HTG M40A1 smear stocks!!!

USMCSGT0331

🔫
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2013
    Minnesota
    www.snipershide.com
    Yes, you read the title correctly, this thread is about new production McMillan HTG M40A1 stocks! More information to come later.

https://mcmillanusa.com/shop/ready-...40a1-smear-camo-remington-700-short-action-4/
    LP-M40A1-004-R-scaled.jpg

LP-M40A1-004-L-scaled.jpg

https://mcmillanusa.com/shop/ready-...40a1-smear-camo-remington-700-short-action-3/
    LP-M40A1-003-R-scaled.jpg

LP-M40A1-003-L-scaled.jpg

https://mcmillanusa.com/shop/ready-...40a1-smear-camo-remington-700-short-action-2/
    LP-M40A1-002-R-scaled.jpg

LP-M40A1-002-L-scaled.jpg

https://mcmillanusa.com/shop/ready-.../m40a1-smear-camo-remington-700-short-action/
    LP-M40A1-001-R-scaled.jpg

LP-M40A1-001-L-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
    Says out of stock on some but in stock on two. But you can not add them to cart. I wish I knew about them before they went on sale.

Last edited:
    Someone from McMillan must be watching this thread, because they took down the listings fast. Guess we have to wait for a slow trickle now. Lol

Reactions: deltawiskey
    Perfect timing for me, just about to do a build with a 6 digit receiver... of course these will probably all get purchased by 1 or 2 people and resold for crazy prices.
    DW

Perfect timing for me, just about to do a build with a 6 digit receiver... of course these will probably all get purchased by 1 or 2 people and resold for crazy prices.
    DW
    I think McMillan’s trying to get ahead of that with the “not available for custom order” line. But we’ll see.

Color look kind of different from the originals. Maybe just the lighting in my reloading room.
    View attachment 8234743
    Nice smears! There were different variations in the smear colors and even patterns based on dye pigmentation and whoever applied the camo. Looks like McMillan selected one smear pattern and used that as a template for this “limited” run.

A53C7CEA-7506-4F4B-A944-3CEF6AD43AA5.jpeg
    2F07F040-BD52-486F-B760-2F6DC88777D0.jpeg

Last edited:
    I called McMillan this morning and was told they are not taking any orders for these stocks, they are going to be extremely limited quantity, we just have to catch them as they pop up for sale on the website. I requested the salesperson bring up in their staff meeting this morning to please limit the stocks to 1 per person so more of us have a chance to own one instead of them all being horded by a couple of people.
    DW

They’re not taking special orders for the “50th anniversary”, “special pigment”, “utility-grade finish” model or any more M40A1 smears?

@Defender3
    Was your custom order priced in the ballpark of the new release?

You want me to tell you how this won’t go?
    But, it’s inevitable, and not their fault.
    Well, in a way it is. I think it’s awesome they’re doing this, don’t get me wrong. But, if they wanted to avoid reselling with significant markups, all they would have to do is open it up as a limited color option and let it be ordered like any other stock. Since they generally work in a “production on demand” model, this wouldn’t change their standard procedure, and would allow them to make as ordered vs worry about unsold units.

Run it for a year and then close it. Keeps the limited status but avoids the inherent rush/markup short term.

Back on topic.

It’s cool to see them offer it at normal prices as well. That’s competitive with my forest HTG from a. Few years ago, and looks way cooler for sure.

Reactions: Charlie112
    I think we should all really be thankful McMillan is willing to do even a limited run of these. It took me years to find an original issued Smear Stock and even at that point you get the pattern you find or wait and keep searching for another that you might like. The listing literaly shows the exact pattern you are going to receive! I was surprised to see that not only the inletting is already done for us and it looks spot on, but the sling swivels are already on and included. And aside from these being perfect for an awesome rifle build, they are each unique works of art that would look awesome just hanging on the wall. I know the likeliness at this point is very low, but I would love a A4 and DMR stock is these patterns as well!

and if anyone from McMillan ends up reading this thread, Thanks a ton!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Modoc and Coejro
    Well, in a way it is. I think it’s awesome they’re doing this, don’t get me wrong. But, if they wanted to avoid reselling with significant markups, all they would have to do is open it up as a limited color option and let it be ordered like any other stock. Since they generally work in a “production on demand” model, this wouldn’t change their standard procedure, and would allow them to make as ordered vs worry about unsold units.

Run it for a year and then close it. Keeps the limited status but avoids the inherent rush/markup short term.

Back on topic.

It’s cool to see them offer it at normal prices as well. That’s competitive with my forest HTG from a. Few years ago, and looks way cooler for sure.
    YOU know what's interesting, when I spoke with "Kelly Mc" way back in 2013 I mentioned the m40a1 stocks and he said "he would never do a redo!" He said "they don't make the die colors anymore" and he had no interest in doing the old stuff. Same with doing a Chris Kyle rifle-- Hummmmm. Seems some "teams" just need new management either in "coaching or ownership." Just say'n. :)

YOU know what's interesting, when I spoke with "Kelly Mc" way back in 2013 I mentioned the m40a1 stocks and he said "he would never do a redo!" He said "they don't make the die colors anymore" and he had no interest in doing the old stuff. Same with doing a Chris Kyle rifle-- Hummmmm. Seems some "teams" just need new management either in "coaching or ownership." Just say'n. :)
    Maybe they're tired of constantly answering questions about why they won't re-do the smear, which translates into direct consumer feedback as to the number of sales they could realize. Just speculating out loud...

Glad to see McMillan is making these. But also glad I was able to snag an early green stock build in the last year. Finally able to begin hand loading for it and see how it shoots.

Reactions: D_TROS
    My wish is that they do limit it to one person and also that people who buy these actually build them up the way they were supposed to be built.

I was able to score a return woodland from McMillan back in the day. It took years to finally get an A1 put together. It's a cherished rifle. A rifle made with a reproduction stock just wouldn't be the same.

I believe the beauty and attraction of an original stock and Unertl is due to what they were, where they went and what they did. Yes a repro scratches the itch, sort of, but diminishes the value of an original.

I was able to score a return woodland from McMillan back in the day. It took years to finally get an A1 put together. It's a cherished rifle. A rifle made with a reproduction stock just wouldn't be the same.

I believe the beauty and attraction of an original stock and Unertl is due to what they were, where they went and what they did. Yes a repro scratches the itch, sort of, but diminishes the value of an original.

I don’t agree. I do see where you’re coming from. Return stocks are not the same as the reproduction smears, but they also aren’t meant to be. Given the choice between the two at the same price I think we’d all choose the return stock. But return stocks are prohibitively expensive for most of us at this point.

So then the choice is between a woodland stock and a limited run of the smear style stocks. Between the two I like the early stocks better, and the history they reflect. That doesn’t diminish the originals, it allows me to enjoy a rifle and the history of similar rifles.

I don’t agree. I do see where you’re coming from. Return stocks are not the same as the reproduction smears, but they also aren’t meant to be. Given the choice between the two at the same price I think we’d all choose the return stock. But return stocks are prohibitively expensive for most of us at this point.

So then the choice is between a woodland stock and a limited run of the smear style stocks. Between the two I like the early stocks better, and the history they reflect. That doesn’t diminish the originals, it allows me to enjoy a rifle and the history of similar rifles.
    agree

Reactions: MOshooter

It’s no different than when USO did the run of Unertl’s. I would prefer an actual smear vrs the reproduction. But they are impossible to come across for a reasonable price.

So what were these new ones going for? With them all very similar pattern but still unique, they capture a bit of the originals style. In the future, the newer made stocks could confuse people on their authenticity. Scammers would certainly lie claiming it to be a return if they can make a buck.

Same with the bottom metal if that is done convincingly
    I never did get all my metal matched up but I helped a couple others get theirs back in the day. Can't even tell the numbers on a couple pieces but they would have definitely only fit the stock they belonged too at that time. If only every purchaser had been a hide member back then maybe every return would have quickly been matching sets.

Reactions: Pinmaster
    It’s no different than when USO did the run of Unertl’s. I would prefer an actual smear vrs the reproduction. But they are impossible to come across for a reasonable price.
    When USO first offered those scopes I was in awe. It was a dream scope back then and USO was the only ones offering it. Cost a wad of money and about a year and half wait if I remember right. During that wait Unertl was bought and the new Unertl started selling theirs and suing USO over markings and advertisements I think. Then the new Unertl died, and the "limited production" from USO kept getting extended and then new production runs. That did get a bit annoying The actual issued Unertls that have been sold over the years have the aura of "been there, done that" like the original smear stocks.

All of them now are kind of in the same boat being out of production and likely no place to be repaired if they need it. From what I understand USO sold a time or two and their products are very different from back in the day.

Damn, I checked earlier this morning. Must have just missed it. Did you get one?

Damn, I checked earlier this morning. Must have just missed it. Did you get one?
    Same here when the fuck did they go on sale? I checked twice last night and several times this morning.

I like these a little more you can see some of the weave from the fiberglass showing through

Last edited:
    I was watching for them this morning, they were out of stock instantly... never had a chance at one.
    I'm hoping McMillan realizes there is a demand for these and decides to make a bunch!
    DW

Reactions: kft101
    I was watching for them this morning, they were out of stock instantly... never had a chance at one.
    I'm hoping McMillan realizes there is a demand for these and decides to make a bunch!
    DW
    “never had a chance at one”

This. Unless they change the way these stocks are released and made available, I think we’ll be saying these words again and again.

Reactions: deltawiskey
    Number 6 in this group is probably the best looking stock released so far, in my opinion. You're probably not going to see a whole lot of variation from what you're seeing released, McMillan obviously likes this smear pattern. Also, the guys who are picking up these stocks might not be buying again. A buddy managed to snag one this morning, so he's out. I don't need another, unless I get one to donate to the SSA for a build. A few other guys I know have a stock each and are probably out now. So, competition to get a stock becomes less and less over time. Right now there's still a bunch of people trying to get them, but it might be easier over the coming weeks/months. They have a lot more to release, so please don't be discouraged, you should all be able to get one at some point. I wish you all luck and I hope you all get one! And if you need a mount, Chad at LRI will have reproduction Unertl M40A1 mounts done soon!

A buddy managed to snag one this morning, so he's out. I don't need another, unless I get one to donate to the SSA for a build. A few other guys I know have a stock each and are probably out now.
    So out of the first 9 released at least half of them were you and your buddies? Sounds more like it's about who you know.

Last edited:
    So out of the first 9 released at least half of them were you and your buddies? Sounds more like it's about who you know.
    Eh, USMCSGT0331 knows at least 60% of the serious M40 collectors around right now (and that’s probably understating it). That was always who would get it first anyways, since they have the time and resources to devote themselves to serious collecting. It’s simply a reflection of how much he has networked within the community.

Look at the repro stuff LRI is working on right now. That wouldn’t have happened if USMCSGT0331 hadn’t sent his own collection out for study/reproduction.

Did my lizard brain get mad when I saw he’d gotten one of the first round? Of course. But then I realized it was a petty thought and was happy he could compare the reproductions with the originals. If you haven’t seen that post it’s well worth browsing.

Reactions: USMCSGT0331

You have to keep in mind that I know pretty much everyone that seriously collects and/or clones any/all types of M40xx. So, saying I know who bought one doesn't mean much, since I know a ton of people in this niche. I was only able to buy my stock, and that was it. I don't get any updates on when they get released, and I had no idea that any stocks came out today until people started messaging me with links to the one they got. By the time I saw them, they were long sold out.

So, there's no conspiracy. There's no connections or hook-ups. I've been asked by people to help them out, but I don't work for McMillan and the company don't tell me when they list the stocks for sale. So, I literally can't help anyone out, and I've been very upfront about this fact. McMillan has been doing an amazing job with being completely neutral, they don't play favorites. I commend the company for just putting the stocks out whenever, and letting collectors sort it out.

The best thing you can do is sign up for McMillan email updates. My friends have said that they get an email from McMillan when they list smear stocks for sale. I honestly have no idea because I'm not even signed up for the McMillan emails, so you guys with the emails have far more information than I do!

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to search M40A1 on McMillan and then keep refreshing the browser every once in a while…

Ooops secrets out ….

And if there was a conspiracy, why would he go out of his way to make multiple posts on several forums letting you all know about it?

Reactions: USMCSGT0331
    You have to keep in mind that I know pretty much everyone that seriously collects and/or clones any/all types of M40xx. So, saying I know who bought one doesn't mean much, since I know a ton of people in this niche. I was only able to buy my stock, and that was it. I don't get any updates on when they get released, and I had no idea that any stocks came out today until people started messaging me with links to the one they got. By the time I saw them, they were long sold out.

So, there's no conspiracy. There's no connections or hook-ups. I've been asked by people to help them out, but I don't work for McMillan and the company don't tell me when they list the stocks for sale. So, I literally can't help anyone out, and I've been very upfront about this fact. McMillan has been doing an amazing job with being completely neutral, they don't play favorites. I commend the company for just putting the stocks out whenever, and letting collectors sort it out.

The best thing you can do is sign up for McMillan email updates. My friends have said that they get an email from McMillan when they list smear stocks for sale. I honestly have no idea because I'm not even signed up for the McMillan emails, so you guys with the emails have far more information than I do!
    Not true I am set up for McMillan emails. I never received anything. I even contacted them to ask to be put on an email list to be notified.

edit: Sorry if my post sounded like I was trying to call you out. I am not. Just trying to state a fact that after being on there list for years then signing up again and even emailing McMillan I still did not receive any notification of the first set or even the second being for sale. I can see if I missed the first as I might have not paid attention because I get ema from them about sale stuff.

Last edited:
    I'm not trying to "smear" USMCSGT033 in any way. I think he is a tremendous asset to the M40 community. I do however believe he has an inside connection, not only did he get the first 2 available it appears a lot of his buddies have scored as well. As for not taking a rocket scientist to figure out..... I'm sure there is a LOT of people that want these stocks and are well aware of that. I just find it odd. I hope everyone that wants one can get one, but it doesn't appear to be as random as he advertised.

I'm not trying to "smear" USMCSGT033 in any way. I think he is a tremendous asset to the M40 community. I do however believe he has an inside connection, not only did he get the first 2 available it appears a lot of his buddies have scored as well. As for not taking a rocket scientist to figure out..... I'm sure there is a LOT of people that want these stocks and are well aware of that. I just find it odd. I hope everyone that wants one can get one, but it doesn't appear to be as random as he advertised.

Have faith man. What would be random enough, a lottery? Draw names from a hat? I suppose singular releases on varying days? I'm not sure any of that would change the level of luck necessary in finding them. Don't give in to dispair or envy.

To paraphrase a movie character,
    "Think that stock will be there, and it will be there. It's a mother beautiful stock, and it's going to be there."