• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New McMillan smear stock review!

USMCSGT0331

🔫
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2013
    Minnesota
    www.snipershide.com
    As we all know, last weekend McMillan officially sold the first M40A1 HTG smear stocks in almost 40 years! This is pretty remarkable, since Kelly McMillan had refused to make any replicas of the old smear stocks and that the very early dyes used from 1974 to 1976 was no longer available. Original USMC M40A1 smear stocks have become a "grail" items for collectors and clone builders, but this demand has caused prices to surpass $5,000 per stock on occasion! Due to the rarity and exorbitant cost of original USMC smear stocks, most enthusiasts never had a chance to acquire one...... until now!

McMillan just released 4 USMC pattern M40A1 HTG stocks for sale, and they plan on releasing more of them over the coming weeks/months. Even though these aren't USMC used stocks, they're still factory original smear stocks that capture the beauty and essence of the originals! For just under $1k collectors will receive a fully configured HTG stock, complete with:
    • Inletting for Remington 700 short action receivers
    • Inletting for the modified Winchester M70 bottom metal and trigger guard
    • Aluminum pillars in the inletting
    • Heavy sniper fill fiberglass
    • Front and rear Wichita sling swivels
    • Embedded steel inserts for the sling swivels
    • Brown basket weave Pachmayr recoil pad
    • Unique smear camouflage pattern
    These features alone are phenomenal, but there's much more to be factored in, such as the time, effort, R&D and everything else that went into producing these stocks. New dyes had to be mixed, experimenting had to be done, original stocks and camo patterns had to be researched and analyzed, production time had to be assigned, etc., etc., etc. And they're a limited edition run that may not ever be made again! And there was free shipping included! So, in my personal opinion, the $932 price is beyond justified (and easily far less than what they could potentially sell for on the secondary market), and these new smear stocks are worth every penny! Seriously, a MASSIVE ampunt of work has gone into this project and it is a complete success!

You're probably wondering how these new smear stocks stack up against the originals from decades ago, so here's some photos! The new stocks are the 3rd and 4th ones down (1 new stock is mine, the other belongs to a friend).

20230928_184507.jpg

20230928_184706.jpg

As you can see, these new smear stocks look absolutely phenomenal and they fit right in with this small selection of original USMC used stocks. There are many, many smear patterns, and I'm sure that the new stocks are based on an existing pattern. It will be interesting to see the other new stocks that are released, and what patterns those will be!

The new stocks are almost identical to the old ones, but there are a few differences. The new stocks are slightly more matte in appearance, vs some of the old stocks with a more shiny gel coat. I also think that the new stocks are better made, and the seams between the two sides of the stock are almost nonexistent. The new stocks are just flat out better built, great care went into making them (even though it's possible to have some extremely slight flaws or scratches, like the originals).

Here's the new smear stocks alongside a NOS smear stock from the late 1970's/early 1980's:

20230928_184901.jpg

20230928_184935.jpg

20230928_185036.jpg

20230928_185107.jpg

It's pretty awesome to see original McMillan smear stocks from different decades side-by-side! Just by looking at these stocks you can see how the manufacturing process has changed and evolved over the years. The middle stock was made prior to 1983, because that's when McMillan got their first CNC machines to do factory inletting. The very first smear stocks had to be completely inletted by the USMC 2112 armorers at the RTE shop, but we now have the luxury of having it done for us at the factory. The middle stock also has a layer of gray material (atomized aluminum particles and glass fibers mixed into an epoxy matrix) that seals the barrel channel and receiver area of the stock. McMillan stopped doing this long ago, so the new smear stocks have their current style of exposed fiberglass.

I also tried to fit some original USMC modified Winchester M70 bottom metal and trigger guards to the new smear stocks and this is what it looks like:

20230928_202039.jpg

20230928_202112.jpg

A perfect fit! Everything lines up, but they're a little loose, which is due to the meral pieces not being bedded into place. So, the inletting is exactly what's needed for these stocks, and you'll have absolutely no issues with fitting them for new bottom metal and trigger guards.

These new stocks are pretty much perfect, McMillan even drilled a small area out of the center support material so that an escutcheon can be fit in the proper location! Look at these 2 photos and you'll see the semicircular cut in the center of the left stock. The right stock has this cut and it can clearly be seen from the top of the stock, but it doesn't go all the way through at the bottom (it's easy to remove a millimeter of material!). Notice how the original USMC modified Winchester M70 trigger guard's front screw hole is right over this drilled area (again, the right stock just needs a tiny bit more material removed, but they did drill it). Any gunsmith should be able to git an escutcheon to the stock and McMillan provided them with a nice cutout to show them the proper location for the escutcheon. I never expected McMillan to actually add an escutcheon themselves, since they never did that modification on the original USMC stocks, that work was done by the 2112 armorers.

20230928_202246.jpg

20230928_202205.jpg

That's pretty much everything that I can think to include in this review of McMillan's new M40A1 HTG smear stocks. I think that they absolutely knocked it out of the park with these stocks and I can't thank them enough for tackling this massive (and long awaited) project! These stocks are phenomenal, the smear pattern is exceptional, and they are true to the original USMC used smear stocks from decades ago.

I honestly can't think of a better way for McMillan to celebrate their 50th anniversary, than with a limited edition reproduction of their most famous and revered stock! Their HTG stock was a key feature in upgrading the Marine's M40 "hunting rifles" to a truly rugged and damn near indestructible M40A1 sniper rifle! The Marines loved these stocks so much that they spent the next 4 decades buying stocks from McMillan! From the 1970's M40A1 to the 2010's M40A5 and all the M14's in between, McMillan has had an enormous impact on Marine Scout Snipers and shooting team members. It's one of the most successful partnerships the Corps has had with a company, and it all started with some weird looking smear stocks!

I can't thank McMillan enough for making these stocks and giving us the chance to buy an M40A1 HTG smear stock directory from the factory. This is truly a unique opportunity for veterans, collectors and clone builders alike, and I can't wait to see the rifle builds and enjoyment that these smear stocks will bring to this community!

Happy 50th, McMillan, and Semper Fi!

Last edited:
    While my review will not nearly compliment the novel above I did receive my stock from this batch today as well. Beside the obvious items that come to mind such as how do the colors look?, What kind of fill is used?, How heavy is it?, How it feels is ranks up there as one of the most important. Those of you who have handled the real thing know what I mean, your hand gets used to the exact curve, you expect its weight when you are handling it. Well I will just say it...

This stock captures the magic.

It feels identical in every single way to my early issued smear stock. I am genuinely curious if these were made with the same mold from the 1980's? The colors are almost too good, I am fortunate enough to own a few M14 smear stocks as well, and I can say that the colors are matched exactly with all of them. If they were all lined up I would have a hard time telling these new ones from the old ones based on the paint as you can tell from the photos above. Even the fiberglass that shows through the gel coat is exactly right. Whoever made these over there did their homework, at a PHD level.

I sincerely hope everyone who really appreciates the A1 (especially those from the lost m40 forum) has a chance to pick one of these up, they are truly works of art.

"Edited with better pictures" Amazing how similar the patterns are on the left side! You can also see in the last picture how my original is worn down to the fiberglass.

IMG_4249.jpg

IMG_4251.jpg

IMG_4252.JPG

IMG_4213.jpg

Last edited:
    @macethetemplar, thanks for your input on these and thanks for mentioning the exposed fiberglass! I completely forgot about that part in my very long write-up (I didn't have enough time to do a short review, lol)!

For anyone who might be curious, yes, McMillan brought back one of the absolute best features of the original USMC M40A1 HTG smear stocks - the exposed fiberglass weave! It's a really nice touch and it shows how dedicated McMillan was to making these stocks as true to the originals as possible.

I also want to add one more detail, McMillan actually numbered the boxes for all of these stocks! Special labels on the packaging is always cool and we can keep track of how many have been released.

20230928_220933.jpg

Just for fun, here's a photo of the new smear stocks with a few other McMillan smear pattern stocks:

20230928_155819.jpg

Last edited:
    Now I'm going to have to dig my returns out and gaze upon them once more. You have an amazing collection. The new versions blend into the group scarily well. They definitely take after the brighter smear originals.

Nice!
    They look so much like the originals. It will be interesting to see how much the next original smear sells for on fleabay or GB.

Nice!
    They look so much like the originals. It will be interesting to see how much the next original smear sells for on fleabay or GB.
    The originals could see a drop or the fears expressed over flippers snapping up the new ones could come true. About the only comparisons to even try and predict would be looking at prices for the MST-100s from Unertl and USO, actual issued versus newer retail produced.

There will be more M40A1 put together with various levels of originality. It all will become quite the undertaking to sort originality for the determined collectors. For people that just want an affordable shooter its almost a golden age.

Reactions: Modoc
    The originals could see a drop or the fears expressed over flippers snapping up the new ones could come true. About the only comparisons to even try and predict would be looking at prices for the MST-100s from Unertl and USO, actual issued versus newer retail produced.

There will be more M40A1 put together with various levels of originality. It all will become quite the undertaking to sort originality for the determined collectors. For people that just want an affordable shooter its almost a golden age.
    The MST-100/USO vs Unertl is the perfect example. When the CMP Unertl's hit the market... all of the sudden there were original issued Unertl's on the market and the USO scope market deteriorated IMO.
    I will get one of the new stocks since I have a spare M40A1 action and correct bottom metal that should be a good match up.

This is absolutely amazing. We have two companies here who have taken on the chore and challenge of building some of these highly sought items that we have spent years searching and fawning for. We all love those items for what they are; flaws and all. If we wanted something new or better, we'd get that. But that's not what this is about.

There are plenty of companies out there who have attempted this clone effort and have still made improvements to what people are really wanting.

We want EXACTLY what the item was when it was originally produced. I give them a resounding round of applause for that.

I really hope to get one of these.

The MST-100/USO vs Unertl is the perfect example. When the CMP Unertl's hit the market... all of the sudden there were original issued Unertl's on the market and the USO scope market deteriorated IMO.
    I will get one of the new stocks since I have a spare M40A1 action and correct bottom metal that should be a good match up.
    I haven't kept up on things very well in a long time. I've seen that the CMP has auctioned Unertls in all sorts of conditions the last few years. For me, that was the stuff of dreams back in the '90s. They started out high and have supposedly settled in the $3k range anymore? The USO prices kept climbing with each production run, always claiming to be the last run. Last I knew, they were in a similar price range. You've probably seen more recent pricing than me.

I jumped at the chance to buy when they got the USMC contract for repair/replacement and offered a limited production run. All later runs were a bit disappointing to me after waiting a long time on that first run. I wasn't disappointed with the scope however. I saw some string talking about an effort to encourage yet another USO production but it was getting quoted as $5000 per and needing 500 orders. Yikes, 2.5 million is a hell of a production incentive.

Reactions: Pinmaster
    Totally amazing! Never really thought about building a clone because, well, the stocks were unobtanium. But if they keep up a steady supply, it might become a need.

Now... how do we get USO to do a run of MST-100's? ;-)

Thanks for the review and whoever has been ramrodding this (whether at McMillan or in our community... or another community...) this is just fantastic!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: USMCSGT0331
    Where do you purchase the escutcheon for the trigger guard? And I’m not buying the one that jackass TMA sells

Where do you purchase the escutcheon for the trigger guard? And I’m not buying the one that jackass TMA sells
    I think in practice most builders just made them out of steel tube and threaded it. I know there was another source somewhere just cant remember who. Worst comes to worst I'm sure we can get a batch made by someone to fill the void.

Reactions: Jrb572
    There is a seller on Ebay that has them, unless he has added another new user name it isn't twoman.

I’m betting it is TMA with a different user name. Photos look close to each other

TMA (TwoManAttack) goes by the hogsden and a few other usernames. You can usually tell his ads because they show piles of the part and then several pictures of issued rifles with the parts circled. MSR762 is the good seller who is probably going to be overwhelmed by orders now lol.

Last edited:
    Reactions: deltawiskey
    @msr_762 is the seller on ebay, he's a member here and he IS NOT TMA! He's one of us and is a great guy, you can trust him on anything he sells. You can buy the escutcheons from him with confidence that it's not TMA. I think he does the similar write-ups in TMA's style just to fuck with him, but just remember that they're 2 completely different people.

Got my smear stock today!! It’s absolutely awesome!! Thank you to all of the McMillan personnel and everyone that might have been involved with convincing McMillan to reproduce these.

I am now on the hunt for an optic!

Attachments

• IMG_5941.jpeg
      IMG_5941.jpeg
      705.3 KB · Views: 174
    • IMG_5940.jpeg
      IMG_5940.jpeg
      675.6 KB · Views: 156
    Got my smear stock today!! It’s absolutely awesome!! Thank you to all of the McMillan personnel and everyone that might have been involved with convincing McMillan to reproduce these.

I am now on the hunt for an optic!
    Have they announced any more release dates or is it just pot luck to log on and find one?

No, only saw it on the exit signs on I95. Might have worked there if we'd been able to expand the company in order to take on work at Bragg. I once had a car break down near Quantico, does that count? 😁

No, only saw it on the exit signs on I95. Might have worked there if we'd been able to expand the company in order to take on work at Bragg. I once had a car break down near Quantico, does that count? 😁

Them Northern Virginia planter types are quite eloquent and refined… in a George Washington sort of way.

East Carolina…. Not so much!

Love them folks, tho!!! They cook the best pig!

Sirhr

Reactions: roostercogburn98
    Them Northern Virginia planter types are quite eloquent and refined… in a George Washington sort of way.

East Carolina…. Not so much!

Love them folks, tho!!! They cook the best pig!

Sirhr
    We all still have to watch them rich men north of richmond though.

Now I want pulled pork. Have to stop by Firehouse and grab another of their limited time sandwiches.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    For anyone who has one of the reproduction stocks in hand, are they inletted for the pre-64 (0.60”) or post-64 (0.70”) width trigger guards?

That’s exactly it! Post-64 for sure, thank you.

I can’t help on the hex screws, the post-64 width steel trigger guards exist, but they’re difficult to find. I’ve read they were used on the 375 H&H and 458 model 70’s only, but haven’t ever been able to have one in hand to confirm.

There are several on this forum that know way more about the Model 70 than I and should be able to help.

Reactions: cplnorton
    TM05539B-23&P/2, August 1994

View attachment 8241068
    @USMCSGT0331
    The Esucheon (sic) overall length and flange length appear flipped in this drawing. Should be 0.500” overall and 0.150” for the flange. I don’t have any knowledge of those are the right dimensions, but purely from a technical drawing standpoint it’s an impossible drawing as pictured since it requests a sub dimension bigger than the overall dimension (I.e. the 0.500 measurement being pictured as a smaller dimension that 0.150)

0.500 overall length sounds about right, so I doubt the dimensions are wrong, they’re just flipped.

Attachments

• IMG_9598.jpeg
      IMG_9598.jpeg
      387.9 KB · Views: 31
    Last edited:
    @USMCSGT0331
    The Esucheon (sic) overall length and flange length appear flipped in this drawing. Should be 0.500” overall and 0.150” for the flange. I don’t have any knowledge of those are the right dimensions, but purely from a technical drawing standpoint it’s an impossible drawing as pictures since it requests a sub dimension letter than the overall dimension (I.e. the 0.500 measurement being pictured as a smaller dimension that 0.150)

0.500 overall length sounds about right, so I doubt the dimensions are wrong, they’re just flipped.
    .500” overall length is correct with .150” hat/top. Good catch.

Reactions: Coejro