• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New MDT vertical grip

adamjma

Cold hands, lukewarm heart
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Canada
I pre-ordered the new MDT vertical grip a few weeks back and they came in yesterday. Haven't had any range time, so this will be a quick and dirty on first impressions for now. I ordered two and have one on my precision bolt gun and one on my precision AR.

First up is my Tikka CTR in an MDT HS3 chassis:

43833882350_66560916e1_b.jpg

You can see the grip has a bit of adjustability fore and aft to accommodate different hand sizes. I have pretty medium hands and my second knuckle is aligned with the trigger pretty well with the grip pushed fully forward.

The grip is composed of three pieces - an aluminum inverted "L" that the two plastic side pieces clamshell over. There is no adjustability up or down.

43833882850_f4ea685ac5_b.jpg

The location of the grip on the HS3 seems lower than it should be. Looking at the photo of the ACC chassis on the MDT website, this grip integrates better with that chassis. The edges are kid of sharp, and the gap is not comfortable on the hand.

43833882080_a22171117f_b.jpg

As you can see here, the grip really is a little low for this chassis.

Next up is an AR-10 platform.

44737437285_680af80d4d_b.jpg

The grip does not have any provision for the safety lever detent spring, so I chopped one very short and it more or less works. I'd prefer a better solution.

Vertically, the grip is positioned better.

44737438535_14833f9600_b.jpg

There will be issues with pretty much all safety levers. I had to use short length BAD ASS levers to clear the grip. This grip is probably not a good choice for an AR.

43833882590_a211c383ac_b.jpg

Again, there is the uncomfortable gap between the grip and chassis.

43833881840_b163ec866a_b.jpg

Looks better than the HS3.

So, overall, initial impressions are mixed. I like the overall idea and vertical orientation, but I think this grip is really intended for the ACC chassis and perhaps won't be suitable for most others. The plastic material of the grip panels is hard and tapered slightly from top to bottom, which feels a bit odd to me. I will try wrapping the grip with some tape or something.

Last edited:
Hey @adamjma thanks for the review! I appreciate you trying the grip out on one of our older chassis and a Stag 10, but you are correct on both, where we developed it more for our newer chassis and not with semi-auto's in mind.

The shape of the grip is a very hard thing to accomplish and we modeled, 3d printed and sculpted with clay a ton of prototypes before settling on this design, which was the "middle ground" for fit and comfort in most shooters that tried them. The panels are replaceable, so who knows, maybe we'll offer different sizes in the future?

The key to this grip is that it should interface with every chassis on the market, and unlike any of the other grips currently available, you do have that forward/rearward motion to more finely tune the fit to your rifle/trigger reach.

Received my grip yesterday and installed on a AR15. Like the OP mentioned the safety detent spring needs to be figured out as there's no pocket in the MDT Vertical Grip to hold it. To deal with the gap I'm going to try Sugru moldable glue to fill in between the grip and the receiver.

81WbJeK1NgL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: adamjma
Why don't you guys just drill a hole for the safety detent spring? Works fine for an MPA grip I have on an AR.

If only it was that easy. The MDT grip is three pieces and the right side of the grip is wider and doesn't align with the detent spring. So there is a void where the spring would sit in a normal grip.

If only it was that easy. The MDT grip is three pieces and the right side of the grip is wider and doesn't align with the detent spring. So there is a void where the spring would sit in a normal grip.
Gotcha. I forgot about the fore/aft adjustment too, that wouldn't work so great...

Reactions: MDT_Josh
Hey @adamjma thanks for the review! I appreciate you trying the grip out on one of our older chassis and a Stag 10, but you are correct on both, where we developed it more for our newer chassis and not with semi-auto's in mind.

The shape of the grip is a very hard thing to accomplish and we modeled, 3d printed and sculpted with clay a ton of prototypes before settling on this design, which was the "middle ground" for fit and comfort in most shooters that tried them. The panels are replaceable, so who knows, maybe we'll offer different sizes in the future?

The key to this grip is that it should interface with every chassis on the market, and unlike any of the other grips currently available, you do have that forward/rearward motion to more finely tune the fit to your rifle/trigger reach.

@MDT_Josh that’s what I figured, but I also wanted to try out the grip in a couple of use cases. I love that it is symmetrical because I shoot left. I also appreciate that you cannot possibly accommodate all possible configurations.

Hope to get some trigger time this weekend.

Gotcha. I forgot about the fore/aft adjustment too, that wouldn't work so great...

The only way to get this to work with an AR in its current configuration would be to "lock out" the forward/rearward adjustment where you're happy with it, drill a hole for the spring and install a bushing to retain the spring.

You're right, the adjustment kinda negates its use on semi autos, not to mention the design potentially interfering with safety levers.

The only way to get this to work with an AR in its current configuration would be to "lock out" the forward/rearward adjustment where you're happy with it, drill a hole for the spring and install a bushing to retain the spring.

You're right, the adjustment kinda negates its use on semi autos, not to mention the design potentially interfering with safety levers.

An alternative is to tap and thread the safety lever detent pin hole and replace the detent pin and spring with an appropriately sized ball bearing, short spring and grub screw. It’s described pretty clearly HERE if you aren’t familiar with it. I will likely give that a go as I am not happy with the MacGuyvered solution I tried first.

As for the safety lever, shorter versions (even full 90 degree throw) work and I would imagine many short throw ones do too.

Not as of yet :( However, we do have a big Black Friday sale planned this year and I can almost 100% guarantee they'll be on it.

Put a pre-order for Tikka ACC inlets on that sale and you’ll make a legion of Tikka fanatics lose their minds!!

An alternative is to tap and thread the safety lever detent pin hole and replace the detent pin and spring with an appropriately sized ball bearing, short spring and grub screw. It’s described pretty clearly HERE if you aren’t familiar with it. I will likely give that a go as I am not happy with the MacGuyvered solution I tried first.

As for the safety lever, shorter versions (even full 90 degree throw) work and I would imagine many short throw ones do too.

I'm going to give this a try. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: adamjma
So I got around to shooting the new grips on my Tikka and my AR-10. I liked the shape but wasn't completely blown away if that makes any sense. I think I will grow to appreciate it more.

When I got home I did the captured safety detent mod described above. Worked like a charm. Also tweaked the position of the grip on the AR a bit. I do think that perhaps a slightly larger radius on the grip might help. Will try that next.

I got mine yesterday. I like the way it feels and the adjustable trigger reach is a great feature. I've got it on one rifle and an Anarchy Outdoors on another. My next range trip will determine my favorite.

Update: I have to give the slight edge to the MDT. The ability to adjust for trigger reach allows for a perfect fit and IMO is a valuable option that makes the slightly higher price worth it. As for the gap, smoothing the sharp inside edges makes it a non-issue for me.

Last edited:
question on old thread. I'm looking at MDT adjustable grip for a kiddo. Does the adjustment move closer to the trigger for tiny hands or more to the rearward for a larger hands? thanks

question on old thread. I'm looking at MDT adjustable grip for a kiddo. Does the adjustment move closer to the trigger for tiny hands or more to the rearward for a larger hands? thanks

Good question! The grip starts off on the closer side for most "smaller/tiny" hands and then adjusts out. It's a very tricky thing to judge as everyone has different ergonomics and the relationship between the grip and trigger shoe is never the same for everyone.

For you guys that want a vertical grip on your AR platforms, try the ERGO grip. I found out that the MDT would not work on my AR-15s without a lot of modification.

So I discovered this grip and have them on all my AR-15s and SIG MPX. It goes on without any hassle and feels really good.

https://www.ergogrips.net/shop/tdx-0/

BTW, I like the MDT grip but it's only fits on my MDT chassis.

For you guys that want a vertical grip on your AR platforms, try the ERGO grip. I found out that the MDT would not work on my AR-15s without a lot of modification.

So I discovered this grip and have them on all my AR-15s and SIG MPX. It goes on without any hassle and feels really good.

https://www.ergogrips.net/shop/tdx-0/

BTW, I like the MDT grip but it's only fits on my MDT chassis.

I've got the ergo on my 6.5CM AR10 and it's really nice. Be aware it's much thicker/larger in diameter than a standard grip, for those of you (like me) with midget hands. Still works great.

Reactions: deersniper
I'm using the ergo on ar and the mdt on an lss xl. I used hockey tape to make a shelf and adjust the grip size and feel of the MDT after making the length to trigger adjustment. Making the shelf out of tape helps me keep my hand where I want it.. I'd like to see soft rubber grip panels in different sizes(palm swell please) Similar to the pistol grip inserts but in a soft grippy material.

I have one on my XLR Element
Overall I really like it.
I softened any sharp edges with a file and hot butter knife.
My only suggestion is to narrow the front flat of the grip a bit.
I feel I could follow the natural contour of the hand a bit better in that area.

I have the straight Ergo on another rifle and I actually prefer the feel of the MDT a bit more.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any info on the Gen 2 vertical grip that was previewed at SHOT?

What info you looking for?

It’s basically a bigger/fatter version of the vertical grip. Was surprisingly comfortable.

Does anyone have any info on the Gen 2 vertical grip that was previewed at SHOT?

We're working on producing the mold for the polymer now and the metal components will be run when the polymer is worked out :)

This grip is different from our current vertical grip in that it is overmolded with a rubber-like material, has slightly more horizontal adjustment, has roughly 10 degrees of cant adjustment and is fatter/wider!

Josh

We're working on producing the mold for the polymer now and the metal components will be run when the polymer is worked out :)

This grip is different from our current vertical grip in that it is overmolded with a rubber-like material, has slightly more horizontal adjustment, has roughly 10 degrees of cant adjustment and is fatter/wider!

Josh

Any chance for a more svette grip size. The current offering makes me feel like a 5yo grabbing the business end of a baseball bat.

Looks a little flaccid just kind of hanging there.

Yet if it's turgid for more than three hours, you have to consult a physician. :unsure:

different from our current vertical grip in that it is overmolded with a rubber-like material, has slightly more horizontal adjustment, has roughly 10 degrees of cant adjustment and is fatter/wider!

Will the outside still be compatible with the internal "skeleton" of the Gen 1 vertical grip, or is this a whole new grip from the ground up?

Also, how soon until I can pay you people for one? I gots to have it!

Any chance for a more svette grip size. The current offering makes me feel like a 5yo grabbing the business end of a baseball bat.

Possibly in the future. It's very hard to get the ergonomics right on one grip for everyone, which is why we have two (soon to be three)! :) If you have a grip idea in mind, be sure to let us know.

Yet if it's turgid for more than three hours, you have to consult a physician. :unsure:

Will the outside still be compatible with the internal "skeleton" of the Gen 1 vertical grip, or is this a whole new grip from the ground up?

Also, how soon until I can pay you people for one? I gots to have it!

This grip is designed from the ground up as spiritual "Gen 2" of the vertical grip and will not be backwards compatible. As I said above, we're working on the mould for this grip now and we're hoping to have it available soon! The prototypes at SHOT we're 3d prints and there just to gain interest and feedback.

Josh

Reactions: abn31c
I guess I'll go sit in my Zen garden and contemplate the Zen Gen of of the future grip....I'll push a rake around the sand and create patterns that help me contemplate the meaning of life....the meaning of the after life....and the meaning of The Way.

• Haha
I guess I'll go sit in my Zen garden and contemplate the Zen Gen of of the future grip....I'll push a rake around the sand and create patterns that help me contemplate the meaning of life....the meaning of the after life....and the meaning of The Way.

The Way?

It’s loosely based on a true story. An elderly couple went for a drive, and disappeared. They were found sometime later by a fisherman. They had gone off the road just before the bridge, jumped the ravine, and buried themselves in the opposing bank.

Sad story really.

Possibly in the future. It's very hard to get the ergonomics right on one grip for everyone, which is why we have two (soon to be three)! :) If you have a grip idea in mind, be sure to let us know.

I’ve bwen thinking of thinking about Dremel and sanding pad to it to shape better for my hand. But lazy.

Last edited:
The Way in Chinese is 'Dao'.....aka.. Daoism... Taoism.... The principle of which is the Source, The Pattern, The Substance of Everything in the Universe.

I’d love a grip that’s the same width as the current grips back in the front so more rectangular than the current trapezoidal shape.

I'll throw out something a little from left field on this:

Given the sheer numbers of folks out there with 3D printers, it would be amazing if MDT would make available the CAD files for the metal skeleton hardware in the Gen 1 and/or Gen 2 grips so that people can tinker with the geometry to suit themselves. It was relatively easy for me to create a grip I wanted by reverse-engineering the Gen 1 metal hardware, but making the model available on say Autodesk Fusion (free for personal use and remarkably powerful) might be a really interesting idea.

MDT could licence the model for individual use and people could share their models online, perhaps hosted on an MDT website with the understanding that individuals can make them for personal use but not sell them. Undoubtedly some asshat would try, but since the metal skeleton is required, hopefully that would reduce the levels of douchebaggery.

If nothing else, I imagine the creativity of the crowd would be impressive.

Just a thought, and I'm slipping into my fire-retardant Spiderman pyjamas just in case...

I'll throw out something a little from left field on this:

Given the sheer numbers of folks out there with 3D printers, it would be amazing if MDT would make available the CAD files for the metal skeleton hardware in the Gen 1 and/or Gen 2 grips so that people can tinker with the geometry to suit themselves. It was relatively easy for me to create a grip I wanted by reverse-engineering the Gen 1 metal hardware, but making the model available on say Autodesk Fusion (free for personal use and remarkably powerful) might be a really interesting idea.

MDT could licence the model for individual use and people could share their models online, perhaps hosted on an MDT website with the understanding that individuals can make them for personal use but not sell them. Undoubtedly some asshat would try, but since the metal skeleton is required, hopefully that would reduce the levels of douchebaggery.

If nothing else, I imagine the creativity of the crowd would be impressive.

Just a thought, and I'm slipping into my fire-retardant Spiderman pyjamas just in case...
Some machined G10 grips would be sweet as well.

Any updates on the gen 2 grip? I'm not even a little dissatisfied with the current one, but always willing to try something new.

Any updates on the gen 2 grip? I'm not even a little dissatisfied with the current one, but always willing to try something new.
Tooling is going through final approval now :) Should be running production and launching end of July I believe! @MDT_OFFICIAL

Josh

Yes, we are working on getting these out and it is looking like August availability right now.

Reactions: BT6.5 and Zatchmo