• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Member đź‘‹, also Gun Number for 68gr .223

Tillamook_LR

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2023
Oregon
Hey Everyone,

Wanted to Introduce myself, I’m Max, I live in Tillamook State Forest in Oregon. And am new to long range and this forum, but have 500 yards in my backyard (more possible when shooting peak to peak) and have been enjoying getting into It, it’s at its beginning stages of becoming obsessive.

I don’t have all the gear yet as there’s so much to buy and things are expensive. So at the moment don’t have a kestrel, and am shooting with a 16” Sig Spear LT in 556.

I feel like I’m doing decent so far but want to practice more in the wind.

I was curious if anyone had calculated a Gun Wind Number for a 16” barrel .223 shooting a 68gr bullet.

I’ve been shooting the frontier 68gr .223 as for the cheaper “match” ammo It grouped the best out of my rifle over multiple other choices.

So if anyone has already a roughly calculated Gun Wind Number for 68gr .223 16” barrel I would love to hear It so I can start to get more on top of my wind calls.

Thanks so much everyone

Attachments

• 24DBAF72-305B-401C-A693-A9EE2D6808C4.jpeg
    24DBAF72-305B-401C-A693-A9EE2D6808C4.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 23
What is a gun wind number?
I assume he’s talking about wind drift for that chosen ammo but we’d need to know velocity from his barrel first and there are calculators he can use.

I assume he’s talking about wind drift for that chosen ammo but we’d need to know velocity from his barrel first and there are calculators he can use.
It would be a better option to show him how to use the calculators himself. There is no way we can know the wind direction or speed in every scenario.

It would be a better option to show him how to use the calculators himself. There is no way we can know the wind direction or speed in every scenario.
They’re pretty intuitive. Those would be a couple of the variables to input. If he can’t figure out that, I’m not sure how useful it will be anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: alamo5000
This is what I’m talking about.

I get what you're asking, and that you specifically want to hear from someone shooting that exact ammo, but you can figure this out on your own using the numbers on your box including drag function(G1, G2, G3, etc.) and ballistic coefficient (BC), Velocity (best if you chrono yourself as your barrel may be faster or slower than the advertised velocity, as well as ammo lot numbers can vary, but the velocity on the box will get you started) and then you can input wind speed and angle, etc. You're essentially wanting a ballistic calculator. You can find videos explaining those calculators as well but again they are intuitive.

Using a ballistic calculator will help you learn far more than us speculating for you. Now is a good time to figure out your dope for that rifle.

The details and practical application of the method: